Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

OldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputation
Default Why do brothaz overwhelmingly prefer havin mustaches??

I was watchin Inside the NBA just now and Deon Cole was a guest and he joked to Charles and Kenny that "normally I don't trust black dudes without mustaches.."

Also in Ether nas is like "you no mustache havin, with whiskers like a rat..."

and also if you look up pictures of black celebs or just black dudes in general i'd say like 90% of them have mustaches. i cant tell any particular aesthetic difference between brothas that have them and brothas that don't, aside from the simple fact of a mustache beign present or not. it doesnt seem to enhance or detract from appearance one way or another.

So, my fellow posters of cocoa complexion, how explain you this significance of the 'stache?
OldSkoolball#52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
chosen_one6
Earned not given

chosen_one6 is popular on this boardchosen_one6 is popular on this boardchosen_one6 is popular on this boardchosen_one6 is popular on this boardchosen_one6 is popular on this board
Default Re: Why do brothaz overwhelmingly prefer havin mustaches??

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolball#52
I was watchin Inside the NBA just now and Deon Cole was a guest and he joked to Charles and Kenny that "normally I don't trust black dudes without mustaches.."

Also in Ether nas is like "you no mustache havin, with whiskers like a rat..."

and also if you look up pictures of black celebs or just black dudes in general i'd say like 90% of them have mustaches. i cant tell any particular aesthetic difference between brothas that have them and brothas that don't, aside from the simple fact of a mustache beign present or not. it doesnt seem to enhance or detract from appearance one way or another.

So, my fellow posters of cocoa complexion, how explain you this significance of the 'stache?

Most black people can't grow anything more than a mustache.
chosen_one6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

OldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputationOldSkoolball#52 has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one6
Most black people can't grow anything more than a mustache.

real answers will be appreciated plz, i'm actually legitimately curious.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
chosen_one6
Earned not given

chosen_one6 is popular on this boardchosen_one6 is popular on this boardchosen_one6 is popular on this boardchosen_one6 is popular on this boardchosen_one6 is popular on this board

Quote:

real answers will be appreciated plz, i'm actually legitimately curious.

I am being serious. The majority of black men can't grow full beards. They have baby faces and all they can grow is a mustache with a small goatee. My dad was the same way and damn near all of the black people I know are like that too.
chosen_one6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected poster

You ever seen a black dude without a stache?
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Styles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

i've noticed this too, when white guys have a stache it just makes them look like a pedophile.
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one6
I am being serious. The majority of black men can't grow full beards. They have baby faces and all they can grow is a mustache with a small goatee. My dad was the same way and damn near all of the black people I know are like that too.

Well plenty of black men can grow bears, as evidenced by james harden, tyson chandler, bill russell etc.

But even if your premise is basically correct, it still doesn't explains why so many overwhelmingly decide to have a mustache. Plenty of white people can't grow full ass beards. But they don't all elect to have mustaches instead. Some have beards, some have goatees, some have mustaches, and some are clean shaven etc. But it seems like black peeps are so overwhelmingly inclined toward the mustache, I'm just curious if theres a reason for that.

Mexicans all have mustaches, but that's some sort of long held cultural thing I guess. I'm sure there's some sort of explanation to it, altho I don't know what it is. It appears to be a black cultural thing as well, I'm just curious what the actual basis for it is, if there is one.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
You ever seen a black dude without a stache?

very rarely.

as insidehoops' resident black cultural historian, can you shed some light on this topic??
Old 05-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

WWRWestbrookDo? has an OK reputation so far

Why do brothaz wear socks with sandals? or Socks in general at the beach
WWRWestbrookDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

dem ***** lips get too cold easily
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected posterL.Kizzle is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
very rarely.

as insidehoops' resident black cultural historian, can you shed some light on this topic??
All the old school brothers we looked up too back in the day had the "stache."

Cab Calloway, Billy Ecstine, Billy Dee Williams, ect.

Although, two of the smothers brothers ever Jackie Wilson and Johnny Mathis never rocked the "stache."

Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #12
OldSkoolball#52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle

Although, two of the smothers brothers ever Jackie Wilson and Johnny Mathis never rocked the "stache."

Either did Nat. But back then performers of all races were much more clean cut.

But it just seems like brothas today act like its odd or abnormal for a black dude not to have a mustache. It seems very inexplicable to me. Like if I were carmelo anthony and all I could grow was that hideous hitler mustache, i think i'd just skip it altogether.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #13
Killbot
KillImpaleLiquefyLynch

Killbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

To keep them warm?
Killbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:

Either did Nat. But back then performers of all races were much more clean cut.

But it just seems like brothas today act like its odd or abnormal for a black dude not to have a mustache. It seems very inexplicable to me. Like if I were carmelo anthony and all I could grow was that hideous hitler mustache, i think i'd just skip it altogether.
Back then, they tried to be more excepted by the white race. So they had a conk in their hair and no "stache."

James Dean didn't have a mustache nor did Tony Curtis.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
daj0264
I am a love machine

daj0264 has no real reputation yet.

sexy af ;)
daj0264 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: