Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
lakers_forever
National High School Star

lakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation herelakers_forever has a near all-star reputation here
Default Atheists and theists - Do good: we will meet one another - says the Pope.

Beautiful words from Pope Francis.. Peace to all brothers, atheists and theists.

"The Lord created us in His image and likeness, and we are the image of the Lord, and He does good and all of us have this commandment at heart: do good and do not do evil. All of us. ‘But, Father, this is not Catholic! He cannot do good.’ Yes, he can. He must. Not can: must! Because he has this commandment within him. Instead, this ‘closing off’ that imagines that those outside, everyone, cannot do good is a wall that leads to war and also to what some people throughout history have conceived of: killing in the name of God. That we can kill in the name of God. And that, simply, is blasphemy. To say that you can kill in the name of God is blasphemy.”

“Instead,” the Pope continued, “the Lord has created us in His image and likeness, and has given us this commandment in the depths of our heart: do good and do not do evil”:

"The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! ‘Father, the atheists?’ Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class! We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all! And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: we need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. ‘But I don’t believe, Father, I am an atheist!’ But do good: we will meet one another there.”

Text from page http://en.radiovaticana.va/news/2013...ace/en1-694445
of the Vatican Radio website
lakers_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Boomerang
Serious playground baller

Boomerang has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Atheists and theists - Do good: we will meet one another - says the Pope.

I thought we aren't allowed into heaven, if we did good, but still didn't believe in GOD

Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #3
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Atheists and theists - Do good: we will meet one another - says the Pope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang
I thought we aren't allowed into heaven, if we did good, but still didn't believe in GOD

We aren't, but I prefer this kind of message than the fire and brimstone one to be honest.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Kaspah
We hoopin?

Kaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Religion is so fcking stupid.

Religion is for weak minded individuals who can't fathom dying and need some sort of belief to not be terrified of death even though its inevitable for all of us.

I don't belong to any religion, I just live life as a polite man trying to get his own out here. I'm an animal, i will die in the future.

Religion is silly and unbelievable since there's so many of them. All you religious nuts, what do you say about the fact there's 50 other religions that have different beliefs, x amount of gods, and do all kinds of things different than you? You're saying your religion is real and there's isn't? I'm pretty sure they believe there religion is the real one and you're full of it.

Know what I think? You're all full of it. Believe in what you want and let others chive on, you can't keep doing this stupid religion vs religion bullish!t.
Kaspah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Brunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputationBrunch@Five has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspah

Religion is for weak minded individuals who can't fathom dying and need some sort of belief to not be terrified of death even though its inevitable for all of us.

I don't belong to any religion, I just live life as a polite man trying to get his own out here. I'm an animal, i will die in the future.

Religion is silly and unbelievable since there's so many of them. All you religious nuts, what do you say about the fact there's 50 other religions that have different beliefs, x amount of gods, and do all kinds of things different than you? You're saying your religion is real and there's isn't? I'm pretty sure they believe there religion is the real one and you're full of it.

Know what I think? You're all full of it. Believe in what you want and let others chive on, you can't keep doing this stupid religion vs religion bullish!t.

You can tolerate other people's beliefs (religious or non-religious), that doesn't mean you think they are exactly as right as your own beliefs. Actually tolerance means the opposite, the generous gesture of accepting the others belief/behaviour despite your thinking it is inferior.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Take Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation here

I predict this thread will devolve into dozens of page of religious trolling and incessant talk about near death experiences.
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
Dolphin
werewolfdolphin

Dolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation hereDolphin has an incredible reputation here

INB4 miller-time skips school to spend a whole day spreading his atheist propaganda.
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

B-Easy8 is considered somewhat coolB-Easy8 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

So you are saying your the same as everyone else who has a religion?

I never understood why atheists have to constantly bash people for having a religion. Do you think I give a shit that you don't believe in anything? To us religious people, your view makes no sense.

Leave your opinion to yourself. If you don't believe in anything thats fine but don't knock people who do.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Kaspah
We hoopin?

Kaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKaspah is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Easy8
So you are saying your the same as everyone else who has a religion?

I never understood why atheists have to constantly bash people for having a religion. Do you think I give a shit that you don't believe in anything? To us religious people, your view makes no sense.

Leave your opinion to yourself. If you don't believe in anything thats fine but don't knock people who do.

I have a right to speak my mind when people advertise religion. This thread isn't what spawned my entire perspective of religion. I think you guys are pathetic.

Catholics. You don't let your priests be with women, and they're constantly in the media spotlight for molesting little boys. That's so fcked up. Know why they're molesting little boys? Because their religion says they can't touch a female.

You think that's sane and normal? Stripping a grown man the right to touch a woman? The fact religious people can get behind these beliefs is what makes me rage. Brainwashed.

All rationale points to the fact that religion is man made and false in the grand scheme of things.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
B-Easy8
Decent college freshman

B-Easy8 is considered somewhat coolB-Easy8 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I have a right to speak my mind when people advertise religion. This thread isn't what spawned my entire perspective of religion. I think you guys are pathetic.

Catholics. You don't let your priests be with women, and they're constantly in the media spotlight for molesting little boys. That's so fcked up. Know why they're molesting little boys? Because their religion says they can't touch a female.

You think that's sane and normal? Stripping a grown man the right to touch a woman? The fact religious people can get behind these beliefs is what makes me rage. Brainwashed.

All rationale points to the fact that religion is man made and false in the grand scheme of things.

No one is forcing them to do it, that is there choice.

Im not going to argue with you anymore since you think all religious people are pathetic. You clealy have some deep issues with the topic which I don't care to know.
B-Easy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think religion probably the most dangerous thing the world has ever seen. Nothing makes more otherwise rational people sound and behave like idiots. From nuts flying planes into buildings, crusades for hundreds of years, burning women as witches, self mutilation, killing people to please the sun god, hundreds of servants being buried with a dead king to serve him in the afterlife, idiots protesting at dead soldiers funerals over gay people being...allowed to exist....and on and on and on.

It is flat out dangerous.

People would kill each other no matter what. But as it stands...waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much of it is because of something an old book says.

Just try to live your life and do the right thing.

What you believe is none of my business. But so many faiths instruct followers to make it my business....

Its hard to get away from really. The only way to not see people dying over faith every day is to not watch coverage of world events. Every damn day....some maniac cuts off a soldiers head, blows up a bus full of kids, pretends raped women can prevent getting pregnant through magic, or suggests gay people are subhuman.

Because of a goddamn book. From thousands of years ago.....that at best...is just an attempt to guide people towards doing the right thing.

And there are people who would kill me and my children for saying so.

And then act like im the evil one.

All of it really needs to go away.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
chosen_one6
Earned not given

chosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputationchosen_one6 has a terrific reputation

More and more younger people are starting to think for themselves logically and realizing religion is bogus.

Unfortunately, there are still many that get brainwashed at the beginning of childhood. If I have kids, I will give them the choice of whether or not they want to partake in religious activities. Unlike my family, who forced me to go to Sunday school and other various things.

As for the comments, it's good that the pope is open-minded. Maybe it'll help some of the close-minded folk.
chosen_one6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

You want religious people to believe what they want to believe but then you go out of your way to say we're full of it. And then you call us zealots. The Atheist hypocrisy is alive and well in this one.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Kaspah
We hoopin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
You want religious people to believe what they want to believe but then you go out of your way to say we're full of it. And then you call us zealots. The Atheist hypocrisy is alive and well in this one.

I'm going out of my way?

There's a fcking religion thread on here daily.

I responded to this thread to say keep it to yourselves because to the rest of the world, you are ignorant zealots that make others uncomfortable.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

There's a fcking religion thread on here daily.

All these threads you see are attacking religion, primarily Christianity.

However, just a week or so ago, there was a thread on whether or not Islam was peaceful. ISH is a funny place. We have people on here that bash the hell out of Christians and God, and then we have people that don't say a word out against Islam.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: