Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Seattle SuperSonics Forum

Seattle SuperSonics Forum Seattle Supersonics message board - sonics fan forum

Old 02-14-2007, 01:10 AM   #1
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool
Default Sonics aren't going anywhere

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...a_x.htm?csp=34

So Renton it is....
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:23 AM   #2
defendish
I airball my layups

defendish has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Sonics aren't going anywhere

So what's the word on this?
defendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Hopefully---Sonics aren't going anywhere

there are some major issues and questions still:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...sonics14m.html

i am glad that you are more optimistic than i am glove20...
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
defendish
I airball my layups

I watched ESPN 2 today. It is likely that they will leave after the 2007-2008 season.

but still I have hopes they stay!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by defendish
I watched ESPN 2 today. It is likely that they will leave after the 2007-2008 season.

but still I have hopes they stay!

based on?

not on this article i am sure...
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...sonics17m.html
Old 04-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
defendish
I airball my layups

Default Re: are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
based on?

not on this article i am sure...
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...sonics17m.html

It's not confirmed 100%. Scary thing is I was watching and kept hearing from the broadcasters that OK city deserved any NBA team and how they were great as far as supporting the Hornets etc...
Old 04-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #7
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Default so simple?

Sonics' solution so simple

By Danny Westneat
Seattle Times staff columnist

Forget Renton. Forget building the world's most expensive arena out in the 'burbs.
It's time for the Sonics to come home. Now that state lawmakers have sensibly ignored the bloated fantasy of a $500 million Sonics and Storm palace in Renton, the burning question is: What next?
Are the teams as good as gone to Oklahoma?
Is Seattle stuck with a debt-ridden KeyArena?
Is this broken relationship irreconcilable?
Without a big shift, the answers are yes, yes and yes.
But the 40-year marriage of team and city doesn't have to end like this. Compromise is a lost art, but there is one right under our noses that could save the Sonics without exorbitant public subsidies.
It would build a modern arena with double the space of the tiny Key. It would eliminate the debt that's crippling Seattle Center. It would involve no state money and no sales taxes.
The idea is simple. Sonics owners say they're willing to spend "more than $100 million" on the Renton arena that the state just shunned. What if they put that $100 million-plus into KeyArena instead?
A year ago, the team, under different owners, was pushing a $220 million rehab of KeyArena that would create, the team said, a "first-rate multipurpose facility."
Trouble was, then-owner Howard Schultz had lost a lot of money and wasn't willing to pony up much more. But the new owners say they are. With Renton all but dead, why not meet back at the Key?
The Sonics and the public could go 50-50 on the cost of renovating KeyArena. Say the price is up to $250 million. That's $125 million each.
The Sonics were going to spend at least that much in Renton, anyway. For the public, it's a quarter-of-a-billion dollars less than Renton.
It would leave us with just one basketball arena happily, the one we've already got. We could drop the sales tax on restaurants. Imagine: a tax canceled! There would be zero state money needed. The entire public share could be paid for by extending local hotel/motel and car-rental taxes.
Seattle Center would get a new arena, with money to pay off the old arena's debt lifting a white elephant from the city's back. There's even money left over, $35 million that could be used for arts or recreation projects around the county.
Best, it would keep the teams where they belong. In Seattle. Even Chris Van Dyk, backer of Initiative 91 limiting sports subsidies, said he could support such a meet-in-the-middle deal. And that it could comply with the initiative.
I ran it by the Sonics and some government types. All were skeptical. The Sonics now say fixing the Key is a "Band-Aid," despite hawking it a year ago. The politics are radioactive. The city and team have not spoken this year.
C'mon, are we really this dysfunctional? Here's an idea to save the Sonics, save Seattle Center and, compared to the alternatives, save some money.
Of course, it requires leadership from our politicians. And compromise from our pro sports team. So as good as I think this idea is, I don't suppose I'll hold my breath.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #8
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

We gotta keep the Sonics in Seattle. I can't cheer for the Sonics when they are playing in some other state. We gotta keep the Sonics in Seattle.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #9
defendish
I airball my layups

I think the fans (in seattle) deserve a team. If the city can scrape and find money to keep the historically dreadful Seahawks in town then why shouldn't the SOnics do too?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: