Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Article: Lakers' Dwight Howard steps up to line, fields questions on future

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...3898772.column

This read gives you more perspective on Howard's personality. Seems to me like he's always deflecting blame and responsibility. If you want to be the #1 on the team that pays you, you need to get ready to take the blame and work on your game.

Now he's telling people "Can't we just have some fun?" He really is not the answer for this team's future. You cannot go from the greatest, hardest working, and most professional player to a high potential kid that doesn't really seem to take the necessary steps to be a champion. We can't keep this guy. We need someone else.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Article: Lakers' Dwight Howard steps up to line, fields questions on future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...3898772.column

This read gives you more perspective on Howard's personality. Seems to me like he's always deflecting blame and responsibility. If you want to be the #1 on the team that pays you, you need to get ready to take the blame and work on your game.

Now he's telling people "Can't we just have some fun?" He really is not the answer for this team's future. You cannot go from the greatest, hardest working, and most professional player to a high potential kid that doesn't really seem to take the necessary steps to be a champion. We can't keep this guy. We need someone else.

Look at Dwight's resume, you can't tel me that a good coach can't win a title with him and Kobe........Lakers need to bite the bullet and take care of firing the real problem.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Default Re: Article: Lakers' Dwight Howard steps up to line, fields questions on future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Look at Dwight's resume, you can't tel me that a good coach can't win a title with him and Kobe........Lakers need to bite the bullet and take care of firing the real problem.

specially with so many coaching jobs being open. he will get something and we will be off the hook
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
specially with so many coaching jobs being open. he will get something and we will be off the hook

Great point......the sooner we fire him, the better chance he finds a job and gets us off the hook!!!

He may be a fit for Denver
Old 06-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Judging by the last two posts, I might be misinformed.

If D'Antoni is hired by another team, do we have to pay for his contract? I think the answer is yes.....Can someone prove otherwise?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Judging by the last two posts, I might be misinformed.

If D'Antoni is hired by another team, do we have to pay for his contract? I think the answer is yes.....Can someone prove otherwise?

My understanding is that the phrase "Relieved of Duties" is the official term....not fired, meaning that a coach is still under contract and must be paid, however, signing a new contract with another team voids the previous contract completely provided it matches or exceeds the amount of the previous contract........if it does not then the Lakers would be responsible for the difference. We all like the sound of "FIRED" but that is not the technical reality.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
dd24
College superstar

Right, when Brown went to the Cavaliers the Lakers didn't have to pay him anymore. Cleveland made it easier on LA to be able to fire 'antoni.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #8
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Right, when Brown went to the Cavaliers the Lakers didn't have to pay him anymore. Cleveland made it easier on LA to be able to fire 'antoni.
Lakers have to pay the difference between what was owed to him and what the Cavs pay him.
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:01 AM   #9
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
Lakers have to pay the difference between what was owed to him and what the Cavs pay him.

Hey Daily, what is the amount of the contract he signed with the Cavs?
Old 06-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

4 million per year according to Yahoo Sports, Lakers owe him 7-8 million depending on what article you read.

So however his buyout with the Lakers is structured they could owe circa 4 million.

The money isn't a problem for the Lakers this isn't Donald Sterling. If they had to pay 3 ex head coaches they'd do it if that's what it took to get the man they like in place.
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: