Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-25-2007, 12:16 AM   #1
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation
Default Pride 33

Jesus, what a night of upsets.

1. Nick Diaz submits Takanori Gomi (I picked this one)
2. Little Noguiera gets knocked out by Sokoudjou
3. Dan Henderson knocks out Wanderlei Silva in the title fight, he now holds both titles.

Shogun defeated Overeem (Not Upset)
Frank Trigg also was victorious

This really is some fuel for the PRIDE vs UFC debate and which is better. A Welterweight castoff Nick Diaz going to PRIDE and dominating Gomi is rather huge. Frank Trigg also being victorious was a surprise to me.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:24 AM   #2
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Pride 33

Holy sh!t, what an event!

Not stacked full of the best fighters, but it was awesome.

Diaz is the man. Hendo is the man.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:31 AM   #3
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Ricardo Tubbs has an OK reputation so far

This was without a doubt the craziest MMA event of all-time. Just insane.

Gomi lost, but there's no way there wasn't something wrong there. I've never, ever seen him like that – he seriously looked like he was poisoned or something. Nick Diaz can throw pretty decently, but he never got him so bad that Gomi should be wobbling like that. That was maybe the strangest fight I've ever seen.

Quote:
This really is some fuel for the PRIDE vs UFC debate and which is better. A Welterweight castoff Nick Diaz going to PRIDE and dominating Gomi is rather huge.

Not really. Diaz is better than any lightweight in the UFC too. If anything, Aoki should be considered the top LW in Pride.

Trigg looks better than ever, 183 might be his ideal weight. As good as Misaki is, he's really just a late top-10ish guy who is very weak on the ground and should probably be at 170. Trigg is actually a perfect style matchup to go against Misaki. Filho is really the top 183er there.

This event just created all kinds of chaos.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:50 AM   #4
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

WOW.

JUST WOW.

Highlight of the night? Shogun has just become a superstar in the United States. Did you see that crowd after his KO? He's gonna be the Michael Jordan of MMA.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:53 AM   #5
goldgrill4me
Banned

goldgrill4me has an OK reputation so far

wow.....that was a crazy event.
i knew diaz was going to beat gomi so thats not suprising.

while i was rooting for hendo i thought wandy would want to come out and make a statement. instead i think he came out fighting scared. i doubt there is any chance of a chuck-wandy fight now.

shoguns still the man and now he will get a chance at the title.

while putting on an exciting event, i have to wonder if pride is happy about the results with two of their poster boys losing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Tubbs
Not really. Diaz is better than any lightweight in the UFC too. If anything, Aoki should be considered the top LW in Pride.

i dont see how you can rank diaz over sherk considering sherk beat him less than a year ago. i doubt diaz would be able to defeat him in a rematch.
goldgrill4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:16 AM   #6
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
while putting on an exciting event, i have to wonder if pride is happy about the results with two of their poster boys losing.
They definitely aren't happy about it. However, at least they have Shogun still at MW. I wonder if they'll give Diaz a fair shake at LW.

And I agree, this has to hurt the chances of Wand and Chuck. Even more than before.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:20 AM   #7
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

Why wouldn't Pride be happy? They had an American win two belts on American soil.

Pride is ecstatic right now. Their bread and butter is their HW's, who are still dominating.

If Wand had lost and they had no heir apparent to the throne, then we could talk. But they got Shogun for the throne, and he's more than ready.

This was one of the best MMA events OF ALL TIME. It will do nothing but help Pride. The people it's turned into Pride fans had no idea who the upsets were anyways, they just saw some good KO's and became fans.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:30 AM   #8
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Ricardo Tubbs has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
i dont see how you can rank diaz over sherk considering sherk beat him less than a year ago. i doubt diaz would be able to defeat him in a rematch.

Good catch, I forgot about that. I do still think Diaz is a better overall fighter though – I don't think Sherk would beat Gomi. He's not nearly as bad a style matchup for Gomi as Diaz is.

I think Pride is more than happy to deal with their poster boys losing if it means they had the greatest MMA event possibly ever. Who cares if they lost – every single person who watched this event will want to watch the next Pride even more. They simply provide excitement most UFCs don't.

I'm calling it right now, this is the year where we will just see all sorts of crazy sh!t. I wouldn't be shocked if Rashad beats Chuck, Fitch beats GSP, Pride sells to some Russian guy we've never, ever heard of…we will see some real changes I think in MMA this year.

And I would just like to say that I <3 Mach. I could just watch him fight 24/7. Screw you Gomi, why did you have to beat him? Mach as champ would be so frikkin awesome.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:47 AM   #9
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Thing about Diaz is he's 24 years old! His losses have been in decisions.

Diaz is the real deal. I think he would beat Riggs & Sherk (at 170) right now if he got to fight them again. He's a kid. Diego would beat him again, but Diego is a stud.

That fight is the front runner for fight of the year and the rematch (better be a title fight!) is one of my most anticipated matches of all time.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:55 AM   #10
goldgrill4me
Banned

goldgrill4me has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
Thing about Diaz is he's 24 years old! His losses have been in decisions.

Diaz is the real deal. I think he would beat Riggs & Sherk (at 170) right now if he got to fight them again. He's a kid. Diego would beat him again, but Diego is a stud.

That fight is the front runner for fight of the year and the rematch (better be a title fight!) is one of my most anticipated matches of all time.

i like diaz but the only advantage he has on sherk is his bjj so basically he would have to submit him to win. sherk has never been submitted and has a huge strength advantage, i dont see how diaz could do it.
goldgrill4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:22 AM   #11
Zombles
Local High School Star

Zombles has decent reputation

My mind, it is blown.

this event was so freaking good. Better then any MMA event in recent history.

but of course the greatest event in history is coming this summer, Pride LW Grand Prix. there is so much talent and depth in that division it is sexually arousing.

btw, Diaz probably wouldn't beat Sherk, because Sherk already beat his ass.

His BJJ has improved but Sherk is basically unsubmittable. He might be able to outstrike him this time instead of getting his head boxed in, but Sherk's TDs would clinch it.

Last edited by Zombles : 02-25-2007 at 04:28 AM.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:36 AM   #12
Zombles
Local High School Star

Quote:
Why wouldn't Pride be happy? They had an American win two belts on American soil.

Pride is ecstatic right now. Their bread and butter is their HW's, who are still dominating.

Diaz didn't win a belt, it was a non-title fight. Typical protection of their paper champs.

And for those of us keeping track UFC just stole Cro Cop and Werdum (Werdum-Arlovski!!!) away from the fabled HW division.

Still no TV deal in Japan. Lots of empty seats at the event. Pride is wobbly. UFC just grossed more than 200 million in 2006.

Pride is ****ed unless they make a major shake-up, and I love me some Pride.

Last edited by Zombles : 02-25-2007 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:23 AM   #13
Zombles
Local High School Star

Quote:
Highlight of the night? Shogun has just become a superstar in the United States. Did you see that crowd after his KO? He's gonna be the Michael Jordan of MMA.

and to finish the self-posting trifecta, that lunging overhand right to an opponent on the ground was sooooo cooool. like Penn-Hughes 1 but thrown by a much harder puncher who isn't in love with burritos.

Next up, hopefully, Shogun Rua VS Dan Henderson for the MW belt. should be a goodun.

Last edited by Zombles : 02-25-2007 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:58 PM   #14
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Pride has nowhere to go but up after this event.

UFC is getting really ****ty lately. These cards they are putting out are awful. I was under the impression that the next two cards were one card. Randy/Tim & GSP/Serra, but then I notice that they are actually two seperate cards that we're supposed to pay $40ea for. NO THANKS, i'll watch it on the net. I want to send a message to UFC, cause if I don't, then we're gonna be stuck getting these crappy cards all the time.

The last 7 months or so of last year was AMAZING. UFC put out all the fights we wanted to see. Not anymore.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation

Quote:
Pride has nowhere to go but up after this event.

UFC is getting really ****ty lately. These cards they are putting out are awful. I was under the impression that the next two cards were one card. Randy/Tim & GSP/Serra, but then I notice that they are actually two seperate cards that we're supposed to pay $40ea for. NO THANKS, i'll watch it on the net. I want to send a message to UFC, cause if I don't, then we're gonna be stuck getting these crappy cards all the time.

The last 7 months or so of last year was AMAZING. UFC put out all the fights we wanted to see. Not anymore.

The UFC is loading up before they really start offering some amazing cards in my opinion. They have to honour their GSP/Serra match, they're trying to get Mirko Filipovic the Heavyweight Belt, Sean Sherk has to recover from his torn rotator cuff, which should be ready within a month or two I think.

170 - Georges St. Pierre has these future matchups - Sanchez, Hughes 3, Fitch, Karo 2, Koscheck, Penn 2. It's definately enough title fights to last for a while, especially considering St. Pierre will never lose, ever.

HW - Mirko Cro Cop, once title holder will probably face Andrei Arlovski first title defense, as fast as they are hyping Cro Cop for the belt, they are seemingly bringing Arlovski down the #1 contender road. Following Arlovski, I'm not sure who they bring to fight, probably a signing.

185 - Anderson Silva has Nate Marquardt for his next title defense. That could result in a Silva loss, not entirely sure. Following that if victorious, you could see him fighting Rich Franklin again if he rebounds, maybe Mike Swick if he keeps winning.

205 - Chuck Liddell will have his match with Rampage Jackson. Following that, I assume they'll want to bring in someone big to fight, mentions of it being Wanderlei Silva. If that doesn't happen, I guess you'd see someone like Rashad Evans.

155 - Sean Sherk has his next defense against Hermes Franca. Following that, if victorious, I'm not entirely sure who he will fight. BJ Penn is dropping back to 155 to fight Jens Pulver, if he stays at the weight following that fight, I'd immediately pencil him as future champion of the 155 division.

Combine all the possible matchups that I just listed with the fact that Dana White is going to be signing any big name he can get his hands on, and I think the future UFC cards are going to be absolutely stacked, right now you just have alot of crappy matches because Cro Cop is still being hyped, Rampage is still being hyped, GSP has to fight Serra instead of more deserving opponents, Sherk is recovering. I suspect when everything clears up, the cards will be really nice, only my opinion though.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: