Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
shafir
I>You. Get over it.
 
shafir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,334
shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Defensive Big Man

We need a defensive guy up front, somebody like Alonzo Mourning or Dikembe Mutombo. Scenario-
Alonzo Mourning, Miami 1 rounder, and cash for Frye. Sure, we lose alot of talent, but Zo is the big man we need that will make our defense that much better. He'll give Curry more freedom to move around, and if necesary, we'll keep Lee on the bench. Any thoughts?
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #2
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,349
bigdaddybluesman has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Defensive Big Man

Talk about going backwards.....

How about working with Frye, Curry and the other big men on basic fundamental defense, shot blocking, boxing out and passing.

I still say team defense is the way to go and the only way to do that is by having the same players play for a long time together.

Stay with the young guys and work with them.

If you need to fill in the roster once you are a proven winning veteran team then by all means get a Morning type to help.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts
 
skillswithaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,219
skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Defensive Big Man

Mutombo vowed to never return to the Knicks and both him and Mourning aren't getting any younger. I say we try to get Hakeem to come to the Knicks and coach Frye and Curry. Hakeem was one of the greatest players on both the defensive and offensive sides of the court
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
Don Che
I hit open 5-footers
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 271
Don Che has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Defensive Big Man

Umm y dont we jus try and get Ewing to help coach da bigs

I admit Frye is not the 4 for the future...lets jus get this out da way now.

I say we trade him and Jamal or Q for a young athletic defensive big like Tyson Chandler.

Younger then Zo and gets along wit Curryand can run the floor wit Lee.

Lee is the 3 for the future if u can get a young defensive big at the 4. They both protect Curry. and you build a backcourt that can hold the ball and not turn it over. They both must shoot da ball and handle it well. Marbury and JC(if he was smarter) so maybe a shooting gaurd in the draft(which is stacked wit 2 gaurds.


It could be
Curry
Dfensive big
Lee
draft a pure shooter/JC
Marbury

Bench

Jamal/Rookie
Balkman
Collins/Nate
Rookie big man
Don Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life
 
Amigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,642
Amigo has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Defensive Big Man

Talking about bigs, I really hate that big bigs Jerome James.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
Xman DoublD
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Xman DoublD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Astoria
Posts: 14
Xman DoublD has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Defensive Big Man

Do you think we'll actually go after a 4 this off-season? I think that is the biggest hole on the team at the moment. But who could we realistically get? Chandler, R. Lewis, J. ONeil, Jameson, Butler???

I'd be willing to give up some combination of Francis, Frye, Nate, James, and maybe Crawford for one of these guys.
Xman DoublD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:10 AM   #7
Dan
I hit open layups
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 161
Dan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Defensive Big Man

Realisticallly, i think we can get R.Lewis. I'd rather have J.O'Neal come to New York, but i dont think that'll happen.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life
 
Amigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,642
Amigo has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Defensive Big Man

Milicic wouldn't hurt at the 4 position. He'll give you that defensive minded player that the Knicks need. He's at least good for a big defensive stop at the end of the game. We know how many times the Knicks have needed that and they haven't produced it. Jefferies has to go. Overrated should be his nickname.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:04 AM   #9
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,349
bigdaddybluesman has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Defensive Big Man

I think the worst thing Isiah could do would be to trade for anybody.

All these trades and moves fans talk about spins my head.

Before you can successfully make trades or sign free agents you need an established core of players that have been playing together for a while and have had some degree of success. (run on sentence)

We are not to a point were we know exactly what we have have thanks to Zeke's strange lineups and rotations. Those 5 minutes he gave James might not seem like a lot but they are.

We are finding out if Collins and Balkman can play, the answer is yes. We have Curry, Lee, Frye, Balkman, Collins and Jefferies who is young and finally looks like he's rounding into shape. Remember he was hurt and then suspended.

I love Q but he's a liability because of injuries.

Crawford has proven to be a one trick pony, chuck them up and see if something falls in the hoop.

The fact is that Isiah doesn't know how to manage a team.

So we really don't know what we have and there will be some more young players after the next draft. Hopefully we can jettison Francis for another pick and maybe use those picks to move up.

What we really need is a young athletic shooting guard who can hit the three. This team has enough bigs to play all three positions, small forward, power forward and center. Although I wouldn't mind coming up with a backup seven footer who can spell Curry, a Lee type guy who doesn't care about scoring.

So we have to see what we can do with Francis, get rid of James somehow and see what we get in the draft. In the mean time we have to develop the very talented young players we have.

If you look at the last two drafts we actually did extremely well.

How poor little Nate fits in, I don't know.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #10
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?
 
ALBballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,678
ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Defensive Big Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafir
We need a defensive guy up front, somebody like Alonzo Mourning or Dikembe Mutombo. Scenario-
Alonzo Mourning, Miami 1 rounder, and cash for Frye. Sure, we lose alot of talent, but Zo is the big man we need that will make our defense that much better. He'll give Curry more freedom to move around, and if necesary, we'll keep Lee on the bench. Any thoughts?

We pretty much get raped in that deal. If we were looking for a defensive big we probably could get McDyess (or one of the Pistons bigs), Dalembert, Etan Thomas, Magloire, or Diop realistically, and we could probably get half of them without giving up Frye.

I liked the idea of the Crawford for McDyess deal. Maybe Dalembert and Korver for Crawford, Malik, and filler.

Last edited by ALBballer : 03-05-2007 at 11:49 AM.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
cangoods
I brick open layups
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 92
cangoods has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Defensive Big Man

Josh smith would be a good fit to play w/ Curry or Lee.

I think the knicks would have to give up crawford to get him though.


- Cangoods
cangoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #12
j Fresh
Local High School Star
 
j Fresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In the Knickerbockers' hood ..
Posts: 1,069
j Fresh has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Defensive Big Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddybluesman
I think the worst thing Isiah could do would be to trade for anybody.

All these trades and moves fans talk about spins my head.

Before you can successfully make trades or sign free agents you need an established core of players that have been playing together for a while and have had some degree of success. (run on sentence)

We are not to a point were we know exactly what we have have thanks to Zeke's strange lineups and rotations. Those 5 minutes he gave James might not seem like a lot but they are.

We are finding out if Collins and Balkman can play, the answer is yes. We have Curry, Lee, Frye, Balkman, Collins and Jefferies who is young and finally looks like he's rounding into shape. Remember he was hurt and then suspended.

I love Q but he's a liability because of injuries.

Crawford has proven to be a one trick pony, chuck them up and see if something falls in the hoop.

The fact is that Isiah doesn't know how to manage a team.

So we really don't know what we have and there will be some more young players after the next draft. Hopefully we can jettison Francis for another pick and maybe use those picks to move up.

What we really need is a young athletic shooting guard who can hit the three. This team has enough bigs to play all three positions, small forward, power forward and center. Although I wouldn't mind coming up with a backup seven footer who can spell Curry, a Lee type guy who doesn't care about scoring.

So we have to see what we can do with Francis, get rid of James somehow and see what we get in the draft. In the mean time we have to develop the very talented young players we have.

If you look at the last two drafts we actually did extremely well.

How poor little Nate fits in, I don't know.

100% Agreed!
j Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #13
Starks4Ever
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7
Starks4Ever has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Defensive Big Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafir
We need a defensive guy up front, somebody like Alonzo Mourning or Dikembe Mutombo. Scenario-
Alonzo Mourning, Miami 1 rounder, and cash for Frye. Sure, we lose alot of talent, but Zo is the big man we need that will make our defense that much better. He'll give Curry more freedom to move around, and if necesary, we'll keep Lee on the bench. Any thoughts?


I would rather not win, then win with Alonzo Mourning on the Knicks. How could any Knick fan WANT Zo on this team? Do you remember the battles with the Hornets and Heat? I HATE ZO
Starks4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #14
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life
 
Amigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,642
Amigo has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Defensive Big Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks4Ever
I would rather not win, then win with Alonzo Mourning on the Knicks. How could any Knick fan WANT Zo on this team? Do you remember the battles with the Hornets and Heat? I HATE ZO

So true. He's one of the most hated players by the Knicks fans all over. P.J. Brown is really hated by me. Reggie is another dude I can't stand. I hate Jerome James but you guys already know that.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:03 AM   #15
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts
 
skillswithaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,219
skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Defensive Big Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo
So true. He's one of the most hated players by the Knicks fans all over. P.J. Brown is really hated by me. Reggie is another dude I can't stand. I hate Jerome James but you guys already know that.

I still to this day hate P.J. Brown but I've grown to kind of like Reggie and Zo...
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy