Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-28-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
Lakerz_Forever
Local High School Star

Default Iverson: Franchise Changer?

There are a select few players who you could place on any team and become instant contenders. Duncan, Kobe, Shaq to a certain extent comes to mind. But since Iverson who has never won a championship, while the three i listed above have 10 rings between them which comes to my point, If you placed The Answer on any team in the NBA, would that team become instant contenders?
Lakerz_Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Dizzle-2k7
Go Spurs Go

Default Re: Iverson: Franchise Changer?

the answer is obvious just look at denver

Last edited by Dizzle-2k7 : 02-28-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Dizzle-2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
space
Local High School Star

with a good supporting cast: yes, otherwise no
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
raiderfan19
Shazam!

why exactly is kobe on this list? At this point in time, there are exactly 2 players who make you a 50 win team. dirk and duncan.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
why exactly is kobe on this list? At this point in time, there are exactly 2 players who make you a 50 win team. dirk and duncan.
I agree, unless you get a Nash + D'antoni kind of situation.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
plupiter
Kids at the park dunk on me

No one player makes you a fifty win team. It's much like politics in that a president gets blamed or praised for the economy when much of it is out of his control. Right now the Mavericks are the best organization in the NBA when you factor in owner/coaches/scouts/facilities they set themselves up to win, and the Spurs are right there with them as an organization. I don't mean to take anything away from Dirk, but if you trade him for KG I don't think the Wolves win close to 50. (I'm not a KG fan, would take Dirk over him in fact).

Jerry Krause was a moron, but he was right when he said organizations win. I believe Jordan was at his absolute peak from late '87 to late '89, and his teams won 50 & 48 games. He wasn't any better in '92 when they won 67, actually he was already slowing in all areas, but he had another star, and key role guys.

Denver has been decimated by injury and can't stop anyone. I thought there would be more of a turnaround at this point, but realistically there hasn't been a consistent line-up in place and they have enormous holes to fill.
plupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #7
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19

Where's the proof in that? Sure they've both been 50+ game winners throughout their careers, but they've also never been on any other teams besides the Spurs and Mavs. Sure it's nice to think that you could trade Dirk for JJ and the Hawks would win 50, but it's not necissarily true. It might be, but you don't know. And it's the same way with Duncan.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI on a defensive team (Bulls, Pistons, Spurs)---theyd instantly become title favorites if not already

on any decent team --- wouldnt be contenders but they'd have a shot on any given night to upset anyone.

on a bad team ---sixers all over again. he'd hafta ballhog again just to give them a shot.

Last edited by AI Nuggets3 : 02-28-2007 at 09:48 PM.
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #9
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by plupiter
No one player makes you a fifty win team. It's much like politics in that a president gets blamed or praised for the economy when much of it is out of his control.

I disagree, but I'm not gonna get into that. :)
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #10
Human Error
Proves idiots wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakerz_Forever
There are a select few players who you could place on any team and become instant contenders. Duncan, Kobe, Shaq to a certain extent comes to mind.
Kobe doesn't belong there. period.
Human Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:56 PM   #11
johndough
Great young streetballer

Some people are kidding themselves.There is only 1 guy that you can place on any squad and your chances vastly improve---thats Shaq...still.Everybody else you have to surround them w/ the right pieces.
johndough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #12
Lakerz_Forever
Local High School Star

Say Iverson went to the Clippers. Could far could he take that team? and my bad...biased kobe fan, sorry. i agree, shaq is the only player that you can place on a team and vastly improve along with duncan. besides them, i don't see anybody doing what they do. Come to think of it, probably no one guard can make a team a contender. Adds more proof big men are the key to championships
Old 02-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #13
mhsbasketball
lol: smh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by space
with a good supporting cast: yes, otherwise no
um its the exact opposite. put ai on a ****tty team and the team might improve, such as the bobcats and the hawks. otherwise iverson will need the ball alot and he will takeshots away from other players.
mhsbasketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:09 PM   #14
RidonKs
NBA Legend

You can put ANY star on the Clippers, and they'd turn into contenders. Because they're a solid team already. A lineup of Iverson/Mobley/Maggette/Brand/Kaman with a great bench? You're kidding yourself if you think they'd win any less than 55.

I better example would be trading a perimeter player for JJ and seeing if he can guide the Hawks, or trading a bigman for Zach Randolph, and seeing if he can lead the Blazers.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:12 PM   #15
Lakerz_Forever
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
You can put ANY star on the Clippers, and they'd turn into contenders. Because they're a solid team already. A lineup of Iverson/Mobley/Maggette/Brand/Kaman with a great bench? You're kidding yourself if you think they'd win any less than 55.

I better example would be trading a perimeter player for JJ and seeing if he can guide the Hawks, or trading a bigman for Zach Randolph, and seeing if he can lead the Blazers.

yea...27-29 is pretty solid :rollingeyes:
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: