Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Orlando Magic Forum

Orlando Magic Forum Orlando Magic forum - Orlando Magic message board

Old 03-02-2007, 02:30 AM   #1
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation
Default Magic Should Go After Carter This Summer

I really think the Magic should go after Vince Carter. His slashing ability would open things up for Dwight.

The other issue is your PG. Nelson needs to work hard this offseason on becoming a better distributor. He needs to be much more consistent for this team to have a real chance. Why does he average only 4.5 assists if all he has to do is throw the ball up to Dwight for an easy slam?

Dwight needs to work on limiting his turnovers and protecting his dribble. His 4plus turnovers a game are just unacceptable. Hopefully Vince's presence would provide him with an easy option.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:27 AM   #2
JMEWLS

Default Re: Magic Should Go After Carter This Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
I really think the Magic should go after Vince Carter. His slashing ability would open things up for Dwight.

The other issue is your PG. Nelson needs to work hard this offseason on becoming a better distributor. He needs to be much more consistent for this team to have a real chance. Why does he average only 4.5 assists if all he has to do is throw the ball up to Dwight for an easy slam?

Dwight needs to work on limiting his turnovers and protecting his dribble. His 4plus turnovers a game are just unacceptable. Hopefully Vince's presence would provide him with an easy option.
I've said why we dont need Vince Carter, many times. But ill do it again.

Vince Carter is not our man. He takes way to many shots; i think this could potentially stunt Dwights offensive growth.

His age isn't exactly going to make him get better; his gonna be on the decline in a few seasons, if we needed someone it would have to be a younger player.

He's not a leader, i dont think his ever been a leader. Also he has a bad attitude, of which shouldn't be bought aboard this young Orlando team.

He puts in minimal effort on defense, this isn't going to help us.

He's not the answer for Orlando and thats final, i think we should just be patient and wait for a player that can fit the great. Just hitting him with a big contracts gonna be a mistake.

The free agency is pretty strong this year, someone like Rashard Lewis would be much better, his younger, can shoot the 3just as good, and takes less shots.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

well your choices are pretty much:

jose calderon
gerald wallace
vince carter
rashard lewis

Carter and Howard compliment eachother. His shots will be more open because of Dwight, and Dwight will benifit from the driving and slashing.

I see how you would like Rashard Lewis. He isn't exactly a great defender or rebounder but he'll hit some threes. He won't open things up that much for Dwight because he's not powerful enough to lure a PF away from the paint.

Gerald Wallace is one of the best defenders in the game and he is starting to find his groove on the other end too. He'd be expensive but he's a great player.

Honestly one of your biggest problems is Nelson. His shooting seems to be the X-Factor for the Magic. He has a 10% FG percentage difference in wins and losses. He also doesn't create all that much as a PG. If Orlando could lure Calderon away from the raptors for 8 million I'd do it and trade Nelson for a first rounder or something. The guy is one of the top 10 PG in the league.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:06 AM   #4
Sword.Dragons
Good High School Starter

Sword.Dragons has decent reputation

I would pick Rashard Lewis over Vince Carter, somehow i feel like Vince pretty much has to be the man on a team, but Rashard can be like the second option for the team, and he wouldn't cost as much as Vince, also i'm pretty sure Arroyo's contract is expiring this year and i would like to see the Magic go after Calderon, could you imagine that team in a couple years

PG- Jameer Nelson/Jose Calderon
SG- Trevor Ariza/JJ Reddick
SF- Rashard Lewis/Hedo Turkoglu
PF- Darko Milicic/ FA signing
C- Dwight Howard/ FA Signing

That would have the potential to be the best East team.
Sword.Dragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
JMEWLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword.Dragons
I would pick Rashard Lewis over Vince Carter, somehow i feel like Vince pretty much has to be the man on a team, but Rashard can be like the second option for the team, and he wouldn't cost as much as Vince, also i'm pretty sure Arroyo's contract is expiring this year and i would like to see the Magic go after Calderon, could you imagine that team in a couple years

PG- Jameer Nelson/Jose Calderon
SG- Trevor Ariza/JJ Reddick
SF- Rashard Lewis/Hedo Turkoglu
PF- Darko Milicic/ FA signing
C- Dwight Howard/ FA Signing

That would have the potential to be the best East team.
Carlos Arroyo's contract expires at the end of the 2007/2008 season.

Also Calderon's contract finishes end of the 2007/2008 season just like Arroyo's. Only way we could get him is through trade, and i dont think we could give him much.

I said earlier in another post, "what about Brevin Knight." He's contract can finish the end of this season, its the teams option. He'll come at much cheaper and will also bring leadership to the team. Also he's one of the best passing and distributing point guards in the league.

Also if we got hold of Rashard Lewis, he could share the first option roll with Dwight. Could you think of how much Orlando's game would open up, im thinking something along the lines of Yao and Tmac (with abit of a downside.)
This with additions like that make Orlando a serious post-season team.

The free agency is so strong this season, so many options. The question is, will we make the moves? or will Ortis, just sit around and ruin the team?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat cool

Theirs a shooting guard that I've been watching from the NBDL, BJ Elder he's a decent shooter. He plays for the Austin Toros. I think he would be a good fit for Orlando.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
JMEWLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by idizzle
Theirs a shooting guard that I've been watching from the NBDL, BJ Elder he's a decent shooter. He plays for the Austin Toros. I think he would be a good fit for Orlando.

I have never followed the NBDL, although i know BJ's stats wont tell us his whole game. It shows that he's pretty solid. 20ppg, in the NBDL will be nothing in the NBA. But he could be a solid scorer off the bench.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: