Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-16-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
Vendetta
Banned

Vendetta has an OK reputation so far
Default Chauncey Billups?

After the Pistons won the title and he won Finals MVP and was then later on suggested as being the MVP of the league, I couldn't stand him. Well, not so much him but the undue praise he was getting. It kind of transfers over to the player though after a while.

Now, if anything, he's underrated and his play hasn't changed that much. Only the amount of wins the Pistons have gotten. Nobody ever talks about him.

Is he going to leave Detroit? Are they going to try to max him out?

One of the better PGs in basketball...

It's interesting how the media can be riding someone's sac one day and they totally forget said person exists the next.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Chauncey Billups?

It's true about the media.
But in my view it does not affect the ability of Chauncey.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
FPower
Local High School Star

FPower has decent reputation

He's having his worst season behind the arc since his days in Denver. That's a big part of his game, so he's having a slightly down year.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Billups isnt underrated he just doesnt recieve much attention/pub.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Billups is one of those players that, as a teammate, you trust & believe in. That is way more important than whatever the media has to say about you.

I also think his opponents could care less about his lack of pub, because they know he's one of the very best pgs in the business.

All in all, he's underrated in the media because we rarely here about him this season - but around the NBA, you know he's well respected and feared for his abilitys.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Billups is one of those players that, as a teammate, you trust & believe in. That is way more important than whatever the media has to say about you.

I also think his opponents could care less about his lack of pub, because they know he's one of the very best pgs in the business.

All in all, he's underrated in the media because we rarely here about him this season - but around the NBA, you know he's well respected and feared for his abilitys.

If the media ranked pg's you dont think Billups would be in the top 5?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Naw. Probably goes something like this in the media world.

Nash
Kidd
Arenas
Iverson
Paul
D.Williams
Hinrich

With Billups being somewhere near the bottom of that group.

So, yeah he would be ranked in the top five in some cases... but I think the majority of the media sees it as Nash/Arenas/Kidd/Williams/Paul (no particular order)
Old 03-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #8
detroit1
Can barely lace up my sneakers

detroit1 has an OK reputation so far

Chauncey says all the time that he likes being the underdog and thrives when people underestimate them. And I agree with the person who said he wouldn't be ranked in most people's top 5 pg list. Except mine of course.
detroit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Naw. Probably goes something like this in the media world.

Nash
Kidd
Arenas
Iverson
Paul
D.Williams
Hinrich

With Billups being somewhere near the bottom of that group.

So, yeah he would be ranked in the top five in some cases... but I think the majority of the media sees it as Nash/Arenas/Kidd/Williams/Paul (no particular order)

No way.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Quote:
No way

You convinced me.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #11
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
You convinced me.

http://basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2005.html

Now ask yourself who votes for the MVP candidates.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #12
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

I'm saying he's underrated in the media this season - not last year.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:27 PM   #13
Human Error
Proves idiots wrong

Human Error is starting to rub some people the wrong wayHuman Error is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Billups is a stud. I'd give up Antoine Walker to get him.
Human Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #14
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
I'm saying he's underrated in the media this season - not last year.

And I'm saying the media doesnt flip flop like the ISH poster does. There is no way he is a top 5 PG last season and this season he no longer is. You cant even defend/support that assumption at all. You assume so on the basis from the fact the media isnt hyping him up, praising him, giving him attention this season. That means little. Heading into the season at the start of the year...checking player rankings from nba.com, espn.com, sportsillustrated.com to mention a few had Billups ranked high not only as a PG but as a player. He was no less than 20 and in most top 15 PLAYERS in the NBA. No way that changes this season because he hasnt had a year like Speedy Claxton to justify so.

Underrated vs Lack of hype are two seperate issues. Period.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #15
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Wow, top 15 in most cases? GoBB I have no problems with you but that is what we call over-inflating to make a point.

With the emergence of Williams and the continued play of Paul I have no doubt in my mind the media would flip flop from last year. It makes sence, no?

Quote:
Underrated vs Lack of hype are two seperate issues

Interesting view on that. I was under the impression Marion was so underrated before because he never got the hype in the media like a player of his stats should have.

I'm curious as to why you feel both are different issues - because in my mind the hype machine makes you either underrated or overrated.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: