Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 03-21-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default How to capture Nets video on the web to your computer.

i'm starting to have some proficiency with this so i thought i'd write a little guide for my fellow nets fans.

YOUTUBE

1) first you need to find the video, obviously. a good search string for games would be "nets 07 OR 2007 -mix". (the "OR" means that the summary could be written with either "07" or "2007" and the dash before "mix" tells it to skip all the mixes)
http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...&search=Search

and a good search string for interviews would be "nets 07 OR 2007 interview OR postgame":
http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...&search=Search

2) next, take the link for the video you want and paste it into this site:
http://vixy.net/

you can specify if this will be for PC or mac. then vixy will convert the youtube video to the format you want (watch the blue progress bar), and when it's done, will save it to your computer.

3) once the download is done, you will have the video in a format that you can play with your regular video player, for example winamp, videolan, windows media player, etc. it should be as simple as double-clicking the file.

the nice thing about this is that, besides the fact that you have the permanent video, your own video player can usually blow the video up larger than youtube's web player can. for example, with winamp i can double click on the video window and it will zoom to the edges of the screen, as if it was on TV.

notes:

-this method may also work on other flash video sites, such as ifilm.
-occasionally vixy will give the message that "youtube is down" when it gets confused by youtube's URL code formatting. if that happens just skip to the next method.
-there is yet one more method to capture flash video files (FLV's) instead of converting the format. i don't see why anybody would want to do that, but i can explain it if necessary.

OTHER SITES

you're going to do basically the same thing, but this time you want to paste the link into this site:
http://www.zamzar.com/url/

the only difference is that the video will arrive in your mail instead of being a download.

HOW TO PICK OUT THE MEDIA LINKS FROM A PAGE

here are three methods:

1) from firefox, right-click and choose "view page info", then click on the "media tab". scroll through the list until you see links of type "embed"- those will typically be the media links. (just copy them)

tip: if the media is in a window then some normal options like this will be closed. the solution is to close the window and from the top menu choose "history" and "show in side bar". then when the list pops up, click the top entry... that should open your window as a normal web page.

2) another way is to install an extension that will pick out media links in a page and assist you in saving them. the one i recommend is "unplug":
https://add ons.mo zilla.org/en-US/firefox/*****/2254

(for some crazy reason i had to insert two spaces in the URL above, otherwise the address was starred out. so you'll need to removed those spaces.)

now in the top right corner there will be a picture of a green fish. click on that on a media page and it will pick out all the possible media links for you. again, just copy them.

3) right-click the page and select "view page source". if you understand a little html then you can scroll or search through the source for media links. this is mostly a last-ditch method i wouldn't normally recommend.

HOW TO CAPTURE STREAMING VIDEO SITES

the prime example is if you have an ASX link, for example from CNN/sports illustrated. here's one i rooted out by use of "unplug":
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vid...d/video.ws.asx

1) get videolan (VLC). it's open-source and a great little media player since it plays just about everything, for example stuff that winamp, windows media player and others can't. it can also broadcast to the web and play any broadcasted stream, for example the shoutcast and icecast networks.
VideoLAN - Free Software and Open Source video streaming solution for every OS!

2) run the player and select file / wizard

3) choose transcode / save to file

4) paste in the URL that you found. here the's example from above:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vid...d/video.ws.asx

5) check the boxes transcode video and transcode audio

6) enter some choices. these are the ones i used:
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...reamwizard.jpg

the higher the numbers the greater the top quality but also the bigger the file will be. plus if the original isn't in high quality it won't make any difference anyway.

notes: step six might not be necessary in general but for this particular video i found that it was.

7) select an encapsulation format. anything available should be fine.

8) enter the file name to save to, ending it with the extension of the format you just selected, for example "ncaa.mpg".

9) the player will then begin. you'll see the progress bar scrolling as the video is being converted.

10) when it's done, open the file from the player to play it back and make sure it's okay. the file will be in the VLC default directory, btw.

OTHER STREAMING-VIDEO SITES

an example would be the NBA sites or real-media sites. the reason the above methods won't work is because these sites use streaming video in conjunction with other scripts to make sure you are only playing the video from their site. in this case, try fraps:
http://www.fraps.com/

what i don't like about fraps is that instead of looking for the video data, it simply records everything that's happening on your screen. that means you'll prolly get some extra video of yourself moving the mouse around!

a more elegant solution is to use commercial software that will detect what's going on and activate when the video starts playing and will end when the video ends. one example would be "wm recorder":
http://www.wmrecorder.com/index.php

unfortunately such software usually costs money, so i'll try to keep a lookout for some alternate methods or free software and if i find something good i'll write it into the guide.

END NOTES

if anybody has difficulty with this stuff just post the problem here and i'll help trouble-shoot. :)

Last edited by gigantes : 03-27-2007 at 05:21 AM.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Drazen_Petrovic
Decent playground baller

Drazen_Petrovic has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: How to capture Nets video on the web to your computer.

Nice post. I am wondering if anyone would be interested in this. I have a tv dvr and I can save all the nets games onto my pc. Currently, with the free software I have, I can only convert it to mp4 format, so if you have apple quicktime, ipod or psp, you can view the file. The screen size is not huge, but it's not bad. The only thing is, if anyone was interested, I would need someone I could FTP the files to, b/c I don't have a host to hold such big files.
Drazen_Petrovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

cool. if nobody here has the server space, i could ask around at the other nets forums...
Old 03-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

i have 500MB on my poll website. 99.9% is not used since I have a very simple layout with plain text and JPEG. i could help you out if you like.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Drazen_Petrovic
Decent playground baller

let me see how big one full game will be. It may exceed 500mb, I'll experiment tonight. This could be useful for people who can't watch the games since they don't get YES or something like that. I'll get started tonight on figuring out how big each game will be.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #6
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

a good quality game that can fill the whole screen minus commercials is about 600MB.

a youtube quality thing would likely be smaller

but if can really do this and upload every single game... i'd be willing to purchase much more bandwidth. it's not exactly breaking the bank, a few more bucks should be doable. i dont mind spending that.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
gigantes
A piece of fluff

It may exceed 500mb, I'll experiment tonight.

once you have the video, there are also free utlilities to convert it to whatever file size you want.

basically you'll choose video format, file size and either image dimensions or video quality and the utlility will do the rest.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:01 PM   #8
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

RecSpecs110 is considered somewhat coolRecSpecs110 is considered somewhat cool

Thanks so much, Gigantes!

I have uploaded videos onto YouTube in the past already, but I downloaded an FLV converter awhile ago, and for some reason, it didn't work. I've wanted to convert YouTube vids into Mpegs for a long time, but apparently I just gave up on it. So thanks again for bringing this up.

Last edited by RecSpecs110 : 03-21-2007 at 05:24 PM.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
Drazen_Petrovic
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
It may exceed 500mb, I'll experiment tonight.

once you have the video, there are also free utlilities to convert it to whatever file size you want.

basically you'll choose video format, file size and either image dimensions or video quality and the utlility will do the rest.

That's what I will check out tonight. The program I have will let me change the quality of the video. I will have to balance out the size, quality, etc. I don't want to make it so crappy that it's unwatchable though. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:26 PM   #10
Drazen_Petrovic
Decent playground baller

ok, first pass got the orignal file that was 2555 MB down to 955 MB and that's with all the commercials. Anyone know of a free video editing tool that i could use to remove the commercials. We might be able to get it down to 500MB, not sure.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:12 AM   #11
gigantes
A piece of fluff

sweet.

well there should be loads of such video-editing tools at places like sourceforge and download.com, but i'll look up some recent recommendations people gave me and post back here.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:37 AM   #12
Drazen_Petrovic
Decent playground baller

Alright, I found another program called autopilot that will convert my files into avi or mp4's. It supposed to automatically removce commercials too. I am testing it out now. I'll see how it goes.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:54 AM   #13
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

thanks dude!
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #14
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I bow to you for this one man...bow i say!
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #15
Drazen_Petrovic
Decent playground baller

I ran out of time before work to get it done. Apparently this program runs it several steps. It succesfully converted my dvr file into an mpeg, and then it goes through and auto removes commercials. I had to leave for work before I got to see how much smaller the file got. The raw footage was 3.2 gigs, I am guessing it will probably get down to around 2 gigs or so after commercials are removed. I can then compress it one more time into mp4 format which would run on psp's, ipods or apple quicktime. We really need someone to host this thing. The other idea I had was I could break it up into 100mb chunks and use a file hosting website like yousendit.com
Hopefully, I will get this all figured out before tomorrow's game. It's a little time consuming, but I am happy to help out some fellow nets fans if you can't get the game.
Also, I just got my new dell today, which can probably process this stuff a lot faster than my current amd athlon system.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: