Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-31-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default NOT a kobe bash, just a theory...

does anyone out there think that the reason Kobe is on his recent scoring binge is because he doesnt think his team is good enough to do anything in the playoffs, so he has decided to make an mvp push for himself instead? perhaps he is starting to feel that he hasn't done much to distinguish himself since shaq has left so he figures he may as well add a scoring title and mvp and hope for a better team next year? could it be that he doesnt believe in this team right now so he figures he may as well work on his legacy?

lakers fans yelling mvp during the game may actually be hurting the team. maybe its just encouraging him.

anyone, this isnt meant as a kobe bash, just an observation.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: NOT a kobe bash, just a theory...

funny.

three weeks ago journalists were saying how Kobe is too selfish.

two weeks ago, journalists were saying how Kobe is not being assertive enough and suffering from ARod syndrome by tryin to please everyone.

one week ago, people are saying Kobe is too selfish again.

my solution:

don't read what sports journalists have to say.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Kobe is scoring because you can sense that at a certain point in the season he started to feel that it was necessary and that nobody on his team could be depended on. I think he knows that he's not gonna be getting MVP anytime soon.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Sounds like a hate theory. :)

Anyways, it's possible I suppose. Pretty much banks on the idea that Kobe has never bought into the team concept, and despite playing more efficiently and unselfishly earlier in the year, has always been out for himself.

A better theory is more along the lines of the fact that he doesn't think his teammates can help him go further than the first round, so he's decided that he's going to try to do it all himself. Nothing to do with the league MVP.

I buy the second one slightly more than yours, but I suppose anything's possible. If you go by AAP's thoughts, Kobe probably also kidnaps babies and eats them before gametime to get his stamina up.
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:18 PM   #5
Devientz
High school junior varsity star

Devientz has decent reputation

Your theory is wrong

Hes trying to win games for them. His team wasn't getting it done (7game losing streak) so he stepped it up. Thats it. This needs to change soon or theyre gonna get romped on in the POs, so you can probably see him lay off a bit soon
Devientz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
Sounds like a hate theory. :)

Anyways, it's possible I suppose. Pretty much banks on the idea that Kobe has never bought into the team concept, and despite playing more efficiently and unselfishly earlier in the year, has always been out for himself.

A better theory is more along the lines of the fact that he doesn't think his teammates can help him go further than the first round, so he's decided that he's going to try to do it all himself. Nothing to do with the league MVP.

I buy the second one slightly more than yours, but I suppose anything's possible. If you go by AAP's thoughts, Kobe probably also kidnaps babies and eats them before gametime to get his stamina up.

i dont think its so much that kobe didnt buy the team concept, i think he did buy into it, and it let him down so hes going back to what he feels worked for him. perhaps next year the lakers can reload and kobe can try the team thing again, but as for this year, maybe he thinks its a lost cause so hes doin what he does best
Old 03-31-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

hwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected poster

first, good luck to you, Lakers fan are gonna come in here and bash on you
but it seemed like you actually thought this through, so here's my comment

No, I don't think he's working on his legacy/pushing for MVP,
in fact, even if that's what he wants, only playoff success would mean more
he's done his fair share of scoring in regular season already,
there's not much more to improve in that area
things that he hasn't accomplished much, would infact be team wins and playoff success without Shaq

that being said, why is he still shooting so much?
well Lamar is hurt, (which I don't think is a good excuse for his performance)
he just hasn't been aggresive down low,
Kwame is not a great offensive player first, and now he's struggling with injury too
so you have Luke Walton and Smush Parker to help taking your shots
Really? those are your options for high volume good 15 pts per game consistent scoring
not gonna happen.
The only player on the Lakers team that can create their own shot is Kobe and Odom
Odom hasn't been shooting much tho being a beast for rebounds
so you have other players who if the offense isn't being runed well,
they can't do anything, because they just simply can't take a player 1 on 1
so shot clocks run down.... what do we do?
Give it to Kobe, jack up a shot with 5 secs left on the shot clock

Yes, there are many possessions where Kobe just wants the ball and dominates it, but he is the guy who you run the offense through
is it nessecary the most efficient way? probably not

But right now Lakers as a team is just inconsistent,
they don't lose games big, and they don't win games convincingly
even against Bad teams

Are they bad? not horrible, they did put the Rockets into OT last night
are they good? not really, any team can beat Lakers any given night

I don't know if it's just the injury so phil is short handed
thus we are playing a much different style than the beginning of the season
or if there's any other reason

But no, I don't think Kobe is playing this for his legacy when he has simply accomplished most things in regular season already
and there's no way he will win the MVP unless Lakers can go on a 10+ game win streak
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
rezznor
Nosetradamus

i see what your saying, but i think you missed the key point of my theory. i think he DOES want to be a team player and have the team succeed. he knows he has to LEAD a team to success to improve his legacy. however, my theory is that he has begun to believe that his team wont be able to pull its share of the weight this year, and that its a lost cause, so he's in a "f*ck it " mentality and doin whatever he can for individual success...until next year when he can try the team thing again. its a case where he doesnt think he can achieve his ultimate goal, which is play team ball and lead the lakers to success, so hes gonna just work on smaller, more obtainable goals this year. (ones that wont need him to depend on his teamates)
Old 03-31-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

hwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
so hes gonna just work on smaller, more obtainable goals this year. (ones that wont need him to depend on his teamates)

And exactly what goals are those
scoring champ?
81 pt game?

like I said, there's no goals for him to obtain besides playoff success
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwliuLAP
And exactly what goals are those
scoring champ?
81 pt game?

like I said, there's no goals for him to obtain besides playoff success
pretty much, yeh. and mvp.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

You could be right but I doubt it. I think that after losing 13 of 16 and being at 33-32 with alot of hungry playoff teams trailing them...Phil let him loose. Phil even admitted to saying he gave Kobe the green light because at this point in the season, you have to do whats best to win games. Lakers were injured, demoralized, chemistry was bad...they needed some kind of spark and Kobe provided it. The team concept didn't seem to work during that horrible 16 game stretch so they (Kobe/Phil) had to change something around before the team slips anymore

Last edited by hotsizzle : 03-31-2007 at 02:53 PM.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:08 PM   #12
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No i dont buy that one bit. Kobe is probably the games best scorer, so why cant he go out and there show that? He tried getting his team involved...didnt seem to be well in the win/loss column. So carry them on your back offensively and let them feed off you. Dont think he has done this for no damn MVP. People assume thats what Kobe really wants. At this point in his career he wants to pile up wins, get to the playoffs pile up more wins and hopefully end the season as a champion. He can score all day long, if the team aint winning then what good is he? Team success factors i MVP awards selections.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
JtotheIzzo
The Future is Now

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Gobb + Kobe = Tla

Kobb

Gobe

Kobe

Gobb
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #14
ExpatSunsFan
Local High School Star

ExpatSunsFan has an OK reputation so far

I think what happened was, Phil Jackson took off the leash. I can see two explanations:

1. This is the time of year where players start to rest for the playoffs, right? Well, if Jax thinks Kobe's key weakness is morals rather than muscles--that the strain of playing team basketball and deferring to teammates was getting to Kobe--he might think of this spree as a way for Kobe to 'recharge'. Maybe this is a way to rest Kobe's moral fiber, so he'll be able to play team basketball when the games actually count.

2. Jax thinks the Lakers are toast, so he handed the keys to Kobe, with the thought that Kobe's attitude going into next season is more important than anything they might lose by going into one-man mode.

Or who knows, maybe it's something else. I don't think they're planning to play this way in the playoffs, though--they switched over to Kobe-fu a bit too early for that.
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #15
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
You could be right but I doubt it. I think that after losing 13 of 16 and being at 33-32 with alot of hungry playoff teams trailing them...Phil let him loose. Phil even admitted to saying he gave Kobe the green light because at this point in the season, you have to do whats best to win games. Lakers were injured, demoralized, chemistry was bad...they needed some kind of spark and Kobe provided it. The team concept didn't seem to work during that horrible 16 game stretch so they (Kobe/Phil) had to change something around before the team slips anymore

didnt know phil took off his leash. that pretty much blows my theory out the water, thx
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: