Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default What happens if Muslims or Jews were to...

eat foods deemed wrong for their religion? I know it is a stupid question, and physically nothing will happen (A Jew will not spontaneously combust if he or she eats pork...)

but what happens from a religion standpoint? what do the religious leaders do to you?

I had a Muslim friend ( who did not care much for his religion. only did it because his parents forced him) who would frequently eat pork. IN fact one time at a diner, he orders a plate of breakfast meats, pork sausage, hams, and bacon, and then he would gulp it down and say "sacrilicious."

I often asked him why he went against his religion or why he even bothered attending services if he were not very pious. I never got a straight answer...

anyway... do you get punished or something?
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: What happens if Muslims or Jews were to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
eat foods deemed wrong for their religion? I know it is a stupid question, and physically nothing will happen (A Jew will not spontaneously combust if he or she eats pork...)

but what happens from a religion standpoint? what do the religious leaders do to you?

I had a Muslim friend ( who did not care much for his religion. only did it because his parents forced him) who would frequently eat pork. IN fact one time at a diner, he orders a plate of breakfast meats, pork sausage, hams, and bacon, and then he would gulp it down and say "sacrilicious."

I often asked him why he went against his religion or why he even bothered attending services if he were not very pious. I never got a straight answer...

anyway... do you get punished or something?
some of my friends are jewish and some are muslim. the jews havent really ever told about eating pork or not, but i asked one of my muslim friends and he gave a pretty explanation. he said the only thing muslims cant eat is pork, they can eat everything else. but also it is seen as "better" or something not to eat any meat that has not been slaughter correctly or something. anyways when i got out with them we'll eat anything but pork.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

It's a self discipline thing to put it in simple terms. Nothing will happen to you. I doubt if your friend would ever let him self get caught eating pork around other Muslims, it's disrespectful to outright do something like that. But if you call yourself a Muslims it's up to you to not eat pork.

Also, if you are a Muslims and you are faced with starving to death or eating a pork chop, yes you can eat pork in that instance.

Last edited by 0ne50 : 04-03-2007 at 07:40 PM.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm Jewish (well, half Jewish), and I don't follow the religion much at all. We celebrate the major holidays, but I just don't see why I should allow a religion to tell me what I can and cannot eat.

I know that didn't answer your question at all, but I just decided to throw that out there.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

mavsfan4zindagi has an OK reputation so far

Well if there is a God and he just so happens to be the one that Muslims or Jews follow, then they'll probably be in a little bit of trouble.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster

I'm Muslim and here's my explanation:
We are told not to eat pork in the Koran, which most Muslims follow diligently. However, the excuses we use today are that pigs are filthy animals, and eat anything from dirt to feces. They also have tapeworms if you do not cook the pork properly. However, as long as Allah says it, I'm not eating it.

As for the punishment you receive for eating it, well, if an Imam found out you were purposely eating pork, you are likely going to have to go through some traditional ritual(I'm not too sure, I haven't had many experiences with Muslims who ate pork) or you may be disowned. If you ate the pork without realizing it was pork, or without realizing that pork was forbidden, then it is totally fine. Also, if you had no choice but to eat the pork (life or death situation) you are allowed to eat it.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think it's just a sin if you eat it. Like if you're catholic, and you do something that is forbidden like cheat on your spouse, nothing happens to you, but you know that you've sinned.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #8
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I heard Jews melt from the inside if they eat pork? Is this true?
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Yeah, I heard that the other day.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #10
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

One time, I thought I could live without pork. But then I remembered the following things:

Pork ribs
Bacon
Pepperoni

Ham is decent. Pork chops are alright. I'd rather have turkey/chicken over ham and steak or chicken breast over pork chops any day of the week. But bacon? That's a deal breaker.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Pork ribs
Bacon
Pepperoni
beef (short) ribs
turkey bacon
turkey peperoni
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:12 PM   #12
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

yeah in high school, the cafeteria served turkey bacon, but I did not know, because it was good regardless.

but when I saw Muslims chowing down... I was speechless at first..
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:01 PM   #13
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
beef (short) ribs
turkey bacon
turkey peperoni

Those are OK, but it's the pork fat that makes it tastes so damn good. Same with sausages.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:45 AM   #14
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:03 AM   #15
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafir
I'm Muslim and here's my explanation:
We are told not to eat pork in the Koran, which most Muslims follow diligently. However, the excuses we use today are that pigs are filthy animals, and eat anything from dirt to feces. They also have tapeworms if you do not cook the pork properly. However, as long as Allah says it, I'm not eating it.

As for the punishment you receive for eating it, well, if an Imam found out you were purposely eating pork, you are likely going to have to go through some traditional ritual(I'm not too sure, I haven't had many experiences with Muslims who ate pork) or you may be disowned. If you ate the pork without realizing it was pork, or without realizing that pork was forbidden, then it is totally fine. Also, if you had no choice but to eat the pork (life or death situation) you are allowed to eat it.

Just FYI from the perspective of an orthodox sunni, we cant be disowned or deemed non-muslim by any imam or anyone. We also do not have to ask an Imam for forgiveness or a ritual. Matter of fact it's none of their damned business. We'd have to ask forgivness from Allah.

I know different sects have different rules, so I thought I'd throw my version in there :)

On the issue of pork itself, some guys I know if they eat by accident and find out make a big deal out of it like they are getting sick or whatever. Me personally, I wish I'd never tasted real bacon 'cos the turkey kind just ain't the same. Anyway I've eaten it on occasion by mistake, never stressed over it or asked for forgiveness for it because I think God's better things to do then worry if I ate pork by mistake or not. Not that I would eat it intentionally, because to me it's filthy.

Last edited by shadow : 04-04-2007 at 03:06 AM.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: