Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-11-2007, 11:03 PM   #1
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default OT: post things you arbitrarily feel like saying.

so I'm at Borders looking to buy a book of crosswords and I run into several things that piss me off.

1. I ask the lady at the desk where she keeps crossword books. she asks me to repeat myself. "do you have books of crossword puzzles?" books of what?

then I say, I swear, on a hunch, "it's like sudoku, but with words." in a subtly sarcastic tone of voice that she does not detect.

"OOHHHH. you mean sudoku??!??! oh, right over here."

how the in the world does a literate individual (why else would you work at borders unless you wanted discounts on books) not know what a crossword puzzle is?

2. sudoku is stupid. I don't read the paper so I dont know if it's completely overtaken the crossword yet but nobody does crosswords anymore. they do sudoku. it's all anyone can talk about, ride the metro and half the people on the train are straining over how to put 1-9 in little boxes or whatever. hey. this activity does not make you smarter or improve problem solving skills. period. I don't care what anyone says, it doesn't. you wanna get smarter, open up a book, or better yet, do a damn crossword.

then, I get to where the "crossword puzzles" are. there are 3 racks of books and I'm thinking JACKPOT. and what do I see?

3. in the 3 rack section named "crosswords," there are, of course, 2 racks full of SUDOKU books. 2 racks! just how did this dumb game take over the world?

4. when I finally do find the crossword enclave within the sea of sudoku nonsense, what do I find? CROSSWORD DICTIONARIES. this is a 1000 page thick behemoth of a book that contains every single word that could possibly appear on a crossword arranged a million different ways. there are like a dozen different crossword dictionaries and no crosswords.

5. however, I find about 5 books of crosswords. 5. it takes me 20 minutes. the first four are, you guessed it, all titles like, "New York Times Quick and Easy Crosswords." "Crosswords for the beach," or something. no! I want my crosswords hard as balls. I want my brain beat to **** by the time I'm done.

the answer is simple folks: America has lost its balls. you are what you do in your spare time. dumb people do drugs in their spare time... happy people get laid in their spare time... average people play video games in their spare time. athletic people play sports in their spare time. but people with INTELLECTUAL BALLS... they do the ****ing crossword! and they do not use crossword dictionaries, what is the point of doing a crossword if youre just going to fill it out using a book? and why even bother with this many exercise if you're going to do ***** crosswords? "quick and easy!" dumbass if quick and easy were what life was about, we wouldn't have to do our own taxes and Mac would overtake Windows. clearly, it aint happening. get used to it.

you know what? I love crosswords. I am the kind of person that will get rich just so I can buy the New York Times and put the "f word" in the crossword (edit), just to see if someone notices, just to see if someone other than me still does the crossword.

now to make it basketball related:

**** the wizards. ****ing chokers.

... I like puppies, pizza, and funny movies.

Last edited by geeWiz15 : 04-11-2007 at 11:11 PM.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
Darsh
Good college starter

Darsh has decent reputationDarsh has decent reputation
Default Re: OT: post things you arbitrarily feel like saying.

this is just like my "post anything you wanna say/post thread"
Darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I hate crosswords. Now word-search's, those are head scratchers.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

What are you now 17? What 17 yearold buys a crossword puzzle book? Ive only seen 2 in my life. My mom and my grandma each have one for long waits. At the doctor maybe.

I dont think ive ever seen anyone your age willingly do one outside school.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
HollaBolla
Banned

HollaBolla has an OK reputation so far

I met these very hot woman and she says she wants to have my kid but I refuse coz I cant afford diapers, theyre so expesive especially the ones made from Switzerland.
HollaBolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:14 PM   #6
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

No ****. Crosswords? What, you too good to read the sports and comics section of the newspaper while taking a **** like a normal man?

I once had a teacher in 8th grade that would give us crossword puzzles for the book we were reading. I never read the book ("A Wrinkle in Time"), and I aced every test. I never felt like I learned anything.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #7
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

I work at the newspaper (advertising) and you wouldn't believe how many people who call in to say they created the greatest puzzle ever.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:18 PM   #8
HALLandOATES
Local High School Star

HALLandOATES has decent reputation

I remember when I was still in school, back in gym the boys and girls locker rooms are right next to each other. So I'm wearing nuthin' but these grey boxer briefs and socks, and while goons be playing around throwing shlt at each other, I walk into the hall for a drink at the fountain. When I'm done, I look up and the girls exiting they locker room. See me and shout all this crap before bombarding me. Grabbing my dlck, ass, abs, and all kinds of shlt. Not that I mind, but my dlck didn't need to be yanked that hard. Word.
HALLandOATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #9
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
What are you now 17? What 17 yearold buys a crossword puzzle book? Ive only seen 2 in my life. My mom and my grandma each have one for long waits. At the doctor maybe.

I dont think ive ever seen anyone your age willingly do one outside school.
we grew up in different places. I know 20+ people nerdier than me easy. and 10 people just flatout smarter in every way. you probably grew up with normal american teenagers when you were in high school.

I do normal teenager stuff too, don't worry. I just like to challenge my brain. read alot. that sort of thing. just part of the day for me

Quote:
this is just like my "post anything you wanna say/post thread"
except in the main forum and my post is first.

Quote:
I hate crosswords. Now word-search's, those are head scratchers.
no. word searches are about spotting needle in a haystack. when you combine word search and crossword.. like give a hint and then you have to find the word in a crowd, now that is a ball buster! that might be too hard to be practical though. and it might just amount to finding words because the hints don't help.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #10
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALLandOATES
I remember when I was still in school, back in gym the boys and girls locker rooms are right next to each other. So I'm wearing nuthin' but these grey boxer briefs and socks, and while goons be playing around throwing shlt at each other, I walk into the hall for a drink at the fountain. When I'm done, I look up and the girls exiting they locker room. See me and shout all this crap before bombarding me. Grabbing my dlck, ass, abs, and all kinds of shlt. Not that I mind, but my dlck didn't need to be yanked that hard. Word.

This is entirely true except it was guys instead of girls. And it was at a an all-male strip club called "Poles".
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #11
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
we grew up in different places. I know 20+ people nerdier than me easy. and 10 people just flatout smarter in every way. you probably grew up with normal american teenagers when you were in high school.

I do normal teenager stuff too, don't worry. I just like to challenge my brain. read alot. that sort of thing. just part of the day for me

I was in private schools and honors classes all my life and ive yet to see a "nerd" whip out a crossword puzzle for fun.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #12
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
No ****. Crosswords? What, you too good to read the sports and comics section of the newspaper while taking a **** like a normal man?
not at all. I got the entire calvin and hobbes collection in the original books, every dave barry book, 2/3 of the dilbert books (nerd humor is the best), and many other comic books. I read comics online. and sports page.. I got ISH. while taking a dump? hello- laptop.

geewiz FTW.

Quote:
I once had a teacher in 8th grade that would give us crossword puzzles for the book we were reading. I never read the book ("A Wrinkle in Time"), and I aced every test. I never felt like I learned anything.
I had to do that for 3 classes in my high school life, and not coincidentally they were 3 of the 5 worst teachers I've had. sometimes they were tests but usually just graded assignments. I just copied them. they were so dumb.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:29 PM   #13
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

Quote:
I was in private schools and honors classes all my life and ive yet to see a "nerd" whip out a crossword puzzle for fun.
thats nothing.

I spend my TA period (free period basically) reading a textbook for a class I don't take.

you know how i manage to have a life though? I don't do the work I'm supposed to do. thats the secret..
Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 PM   #14
Darsh
Good college starter

Darsh has decent reputationDarsh has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
except in the main forum and my post is first.

your post is first? huh? Im not having a go at you, these are fun threads.
Darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #15
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Bourne has not been impressing people

the arbitrary thing I want to say is the following:

Bob Loblaw lobs law bomb on law blog's law lauding blog
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: