Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Boston Celtics Forum

Boston Celtics Forum Boston Celtics message board - Boston celtics fan forum

Old 07-02-2006, 01:48 AM   #1
PP34Deuce
Good college starter

PP34Deuce has decent reputationPP34Deuce has decent reputation
Default Anyone tired of "Boston loves only white Players?"

I never understood that, I Know back in the 80's it was all white. but if u look at our to players after the bird era.............

Antoine Walker- Urban Chicago,grew up on the southside(Im from chicago)lived in the hood. Yet he was our savior during 1996.

Kenny Anderson- NYC and1 before there was and1 streetball,street cred

Paul Pierce-Grew up in Inglewood by crenshaw,Wears hip hop gear,tattoos,Pierce is a definition of Player from the ghetto who goes to the greener pastures for stardom.

NOW AI will be added who grow up in Newport News VA.

I get sick of that ainge only likes white players thing.
PP34Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:25 AM   #2
Patches O'Houlihan
I brick open layups

Patches O'Houlihan has an OK reputation so far

Dennis Johnson in the 80s?
Patches O'Houlihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
PoisonousDart
Can barely lace up my sneakers

PoisonousDart has an OK reputation so far
Default Oh man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches O'Houlihan
Dennis Johnson in the 80s?

You have to understand that when I was growing up in the 80's, people already knew Boston for the bussing incidents where this city made itself look like the Arkansas of the East, The Red Sox were the last to intergrate and Jim Rice was the only Black man on the field for TWO YEARS in a row at one stretch, and the Patriots were called the Patsies...Black people from the city DIDN'T DARE go to Fenway and they RARELY went to the Garden...they'd stay at home and watch the game on WSBK TV 38 and turn turn the sound down, switch on the radio to Johnny Most and enjoy. The Celtics used to field a mostly white team, and draft mostly white players and bring in some questionable free agents in hopes of landing another Larry Bird, it seems. Here's my short list from recollection:

Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Danny Ainge, Bill Walton, Scott Wedman, (from here on it gets questionable) Rick Carlisle, Greg Kite, Rick Robey, Jerry Sichting, Brad Lohaus, Fred Roberts, Joe Klein, Michael Smith, Connor Henry, Chris Corciani, Darren Morningstar, Dino Radja, Brett Szabo, Frank Brickowski, Eric Montross, John Barry (C's drafted him and he forced a trade!), Chris Herren (he was a local hero so that was different IMO), Ben Pepper, Bruno Sundov, (they wanted Dirk Nowitzki and Keith Van Horn BADLY), Dan Dickau and Brian Scalabrine..I skipped around a lot but the bottom line is that to MOST people with some common sense, the Celtics were still searching for that White player that would make the public love the Celtics like they did back in the 80's. Face it, Boston loves Pierce...but NOT like they love Tom Brady, whom they call the QB QT, etc. Scalabrine had fans with signs cheering him on at every game I went to! (95% booed him, which was good).

I also hope that the Celtics can erase that stigma, but Danny gotta stop bringing in questionable players that put doubt in people's hearts..I don't care what color, ethnicity, or background a player has...as long as he's GOOD. I repeat AS LONG AS HE'S GOOD. No more Acie Earl's, Steve Hamer's, Junior Burrough's, Joe Forte's and Kedrick Brown's PLEASE. Bye Bye to Orien "Ridin' Dirty" Greene. Good luck in the NBDL! One.
PoisonousDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:28 PM   #4
Celts34
Kiss my converse!!!

Celts34 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonousDart
Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Danny Ainge, Bill Walton, Scott Wedman, (from here on it gets questionable) Rick Carlisle, Greg Kite, Rick Robey, Jerry Sichting, Brad Lohaus, Fred Roberts, Joe Klein, Michael Smith, Connor Henry, Chris Corciani, Darren Morningstar, Dino Radja, Brett Szabo, Frank Brickowski, Eric Montross, John Barry (C's drafted him and he forced a trade!), Chris Herren (he was a local hero so that was different IMO), Ben Pepper, Bruno Sundov, (they wanted Dirk Nowitzki and Keith Van Horn BADLY), Dan Dickau and Brian Scalabrine..I skipped around a lot but the bottom line is that to MOST people with some common sense, the Celtics were still searching for that White player that would make the public love the Celtics like they did back in the 80's. Face it, Boston loves Pierce...but NOT like they love Tom Brady, whom they call the QB QT, etc. Scalabrine had fans with signs cheering him on at every game I went to! (95% booed him, which was good).

What you are neglecting to understand but are on the cusp of revealing is that moreso then color. Boston loves a winner. Which is the much bigger difference between Paul and Tom then the color of their skin. Tom Brady has done nothing but win and come through in clutch situations since he took over the starting job. Tom could get Theismanned, have his career be over and still never have to pick up tab at dinner ever in New England. In terms of winning Paul has not done much(Forget about winning a Championship, he's won the divison title once, and has never won 50 games)and has not yet been able to showcase his ability on the Championship stage. The standard of Celtic basketball is higher then that of any of the other teams in Boston. Pre 1986Celtics=Championships or getting damn close. We all like to allude to those days, but for Paul he's isn't just judged by his peers but by the Legends that wore the green before him. Russell, Cousy, Sam and K.C Jones, Tommy Heinson, Havileck, Cowens, Bird, Parrish, and McHale all won Championships, multiple Champioonships at that. So Paul is never going to get the acclaim that he does deserve by Boston fans until he wins a ring for the green. And it doesn't matter if he was white. Old School Celtic fans would still never give Paul his due until he won the ring. Things have never changed people want a winner, a team they feel is a Championship Contender year in and out. The Red Sox have been wildly succesful over the past 4 seasons, and their three best players(Pedro, Manny, and David Ortiz) over that time have been of Latin descent with dark skin.
Celts34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #5
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celts34
What you are neglecting to understand but are on the cusp of revealing is that moreso then color. Boston loves a winner. Which is the much bigger difference between Paul and Tom then the color of their skin. Tom Brady has done nothing but win and come through in clutch situations since he took over the starting job. Tom could get Theismanned, have his career be over and still never have to pick up tab at dinner ever in New England. In terms of winning Paul has not done much(Forget about winning a Championship, he's won the divison title once, and has never won 50 games)and has not yet been able to showcase his ability on the Championship stage. The standard of Celtic basketball is higher then that of any of the other teams in Boston. Pre 1986Celtics=Championships or getting damn close. We all like to allude to those days, but for Paul he's isn't just judged by his peers but by the Legends that wore the green before him. Russell, Cousy, Sam and K.C Jones, Tommy Heinson, Havileck, Cowens, Bird, Parrish, and McHale all won Championships, multiple Champioonships at that. So Paul is never going to get the acclaim that he does deserve by Boston fans until he wins a ring for the green. And it doesn't matter if he was white. Old School Celtic fans would still never give Paul his due until he won the ring. Things have never changed people want a winner, a team they feel is a Championship Contender year in and out. The Red Sox have been wildly succesful over the past 4 seasons, and their three best players(Pedro, Manny, and David Ortiz) over that time have been of Latin descent with dark skin.

Bostonians must rationalize that they are merely Latino and not black.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #6
Czar
I airball my layups

Czar has an OK reputation so far

This thread needs to be closed.
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:59 AM   #7
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Bostonians must rationalize that they are merely Latino and not black.
Sad to say but I know guys who do this. I know a guy who insists that David Ortiz is "not black." :confused:
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:01 PM   #8
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

It's because he has an "accent" so he somehow isn't black
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:54 AM   #9
Snoopy
I brick open layups

Snoopy has an OK reputation so far

brian scalabrine is the biggest thug on this team, recognise
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #10
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The thing about those white guys on the 80's team, is that anyone would have wanted them. Bird was the best or second best player in the league. McHale was one of the top post players in all of basketball, and Ainge would have started on most teams at the time.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:49 PM   #11
dmenzion
I hit open layups

dmenzion has decent reputation
Exclamation

honestly....yeah up until the 90's....there only one team i call a white team and thats Utah Jazz....three white guys in the starting 5 thats bad.
i mean u cant say that boston loved white people when only one starts which realisticly i think he shouldnt i would have.

Jefferson/Theo
Gomes
Pierce
Green
Telfair
dmenzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:52 AM   #12
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

Bricklayer has no real reputation yet.

I dunno man... I gotta disagree about us being a "white team". As was mentioned above, we just try and get the GOOD players... players who fit into Sloan's system of hustling and playing good, fundamental basketball. For nearly 20 years, Karl Malone donned a Utah Jazz jersey and we loved him here. Our owner, Larry H. Miller had a very close relationship with Malone - there is no way anyone could say Miller is racist. And for nearly 20 years beside him, we had John Stockton - arguably the greatest pure point guard ever - and white as they come. Should we have traded Stockton away if we wanted to get rid of the "white lovers" label people give us? Would you? The only reason i could think of why we have a few more white guys than most teams is cuz we like foreigners. And sorry to say (from the looks of recent world tournaments), foreigners have pretty much caught up to the U.S. as far as fundamentals go - which is just Sloan's style.
Bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:26 PM   #13
PoisonousDart
Can barely lace up my sneakers

PoisonousDart has an OK reputation so far
Default Nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricklayer
I dunno man... I gotta disagree about us being a "white team". As was mentioned above, we just try and get the GOOD players... players who fit into Sloan's system of hustling and playing good, fundamental basketball. For nearly 20 years, Karl Malone donned a Utah Jazz jersey and we loved him here. Our owner, Larry H. Miller had a very close relationship with Malone - there is no way anyone could say Miller is racist. And for nearly 20 years beside him, we had John Stockton - arguably the greatest pure point guard ever - and white as they come. Should we have traded Stockton away if we wanted to get rid of the "white lovers" label people give us? Would you? The only reason i could think of why we have a few more white guys than most teams is cuz we like foreigners. And sorry to say (from the looks of recent world tournaments), foreigners have pretty much caught up to the U.S. as far as fundamentals go - which is just Sloan's style.

It's not so much that Larry Miller is seen as racist...it's just that the average Black athlete (or Black person for that matter) does NOT want to live in or raise children in Utah (especially Salt Lake City). Therefore, it's difficult to attract Black players to play there...unless they offer them a WHOLE lot of money, in which case they can leave elsewhere in the offseason, or their families can live elsewhere (like California) while they play in Utah. Plus, the restrictions on headbands, armbands and shorts sizes, etc. are just cornball...I'm sure the newly drafted cats are just happy to be in the NBA, but as for FREE AGENTS WITH A CHOICE....Utah is not on the list of desired destinations. One.
PoisonousDart is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: