Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

Default Round 1: Raptors vs. Nets Game 2

This is thread 2 for the Raptors-Nets first round series of the 2007 playoffs

It's a continuation of this thread: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38039
Old 04-21-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: Round 1: Raptors vs. Nets Official Thread For Game 2

Graham, Bargnani and Dixon better not see more than 10-15 minutes next game.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #3
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Observations of todays game:

I live in New York and therefore have seen almost every Nets game of the season. I haven't seen them exert this kind of energy all year. Had they played like this for 82 games, it would be enough for them to get to 50 wins regardless of having Krstic or not.

Kidd was amazing as usual. He's a veteran and it showed, with his level of poise and confidence.

Carter had a bad game but made a key fg in the fourth quarter. Nonetheless, his team has more playoff experience and it showed. When Bosh wasn't on the floor the Raptors looked absolutely helpless.

Bosh had a decent game, yes a decent game. 22 and 5 on 7-16 shooting. He definitely had "first game" jitters, but I think the problem stemmed from the lack of minutes he was given in the 2nd quarter. I feel that Mitchell did a horrible job with subbing and he was just flat out, out coached. But, responsibility also goes to the players for being late on their rotations and having no transition D. Having said that, the Raptors were right in this game and just showed a lack of poise down the stretch (Calderon's pass to the bench, Bosh's missed layup and FT). But this is gonna be an entertaining series no doubt. Anyone who predicts a nets sweep is being ridiculous.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
rknine15
Buckets Baby

Mo Pete wont see more than 10mins a game
Old 04-21-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
Ross
I airball my layups

I think Raptors will take game 2. Looking forward to tuesday.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Graham, Bargnani and Dixon better not see more than 10-15 minutes next game.

I have no faith in Sam Mitchell to do the smart thing, and neither should you, as far as I am concerned, expect 30+ minutes for all three as Mitchell is clueless.

Nesterovic gets 10 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 block in 18 minutes, and only gets 18 minutes of time. It's simply unfathomable how much the guy gets ignored. He continually puts up great numbers in limited minutes and still never gets the respect he deserves.

I don't know how Ford doesn't play down the stretch over Calderon, Ford was clearly having a much better afternoon then Jose, though that's not to take away from Jose, as he has earned his time all year, just didn't have it today.

The fact that we had Kris Humphries and Joey Graham on the floor at the same time late in the game is laughable.

TJ Ford | Morris Peterson | Anthony Parker | Chris Bosh | Rasho Nesterovic
TJ Ford | Anthony Parker | Andrea Bargnani | Chris Bosh | Rasho Nesterovic

Those are the two lineups, you either go with Peterson or Bargnani, you don't go with anyone else in my opinion. These are how you finish the game, you don't finish with Joey Graham and Kris Humphries, it just doesn't work that way, especially when they are having bad games.

/Rant
Old 04-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
ThaKid
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknine15
Mo Pete wont see more than 10mins a game
if Sam Mitchell's gonna tweak the line-up, he might have to look at Mo Pete for veteran leadership
Old 04-21-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
I have no faith in Sam Mitchell to do the smart thing, and neither should you, as far as I am concerned, expect 30+ minutes for all three as Mitchell is clueless.

I don't know how Ford doesn't play down the stretch over Calderon, Ford was clearly having a much better afternoon then Jose, though that's not to take away from Jose, as he has earned his time all year, just didn't have it today.

The fact that we had Kris Humphries and Joey Graham on the floor at the same time late in the game is laughable.

TJ Ford | Morris Peterson | Anthony Parker | Chris Bosh | Rasho Nesterovic
TJ Ford | Anthony Parker | Andrea Bargnani | Chris Bosh | Rasho Nesterovic

Those are the two lineups, you either go with Peterson or Bargnani, you don't go with anyone else in my opinion. These are how you finish the game, you don't finish with Joey Graham and Kris Humphries, it just doesn't work that way, especially when they are having bad games.

/Rant
Agreed that Rasho should've gotten more minutes. As far as the Calderon situation, yeah he did have it. I think that Mitchell should've had TJ and Calderon on the court at the same time. Then Ford could play the point and Calderon would just be expected as a scorer rather than a decision maker down the stretch.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #9
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
Agreed that Rasho should've gotten more minutes. As far as the Calderon situation, yeah he did have it. I think that Mitchell should've had TJ and Calderon on the court at the same time. Then Ford could play the point and Calderon would just be expected as a scorer rather than a decision maker down the stretch.

The only problem with that is that it's a defensive nightmare. Ford is respectable on defense versus point guards because he can use his speed to make up any gaps or seperation and is reasonably good at getting his hand in for steals. Calderon on the other hand just gets abused on defense, he hustles and tries but simply just doesn't have the tools to get it done. Now, if he gets abused by point guards, you can imagine the beatdown he'd recieve from off guards, especially one as talented as Vince Carter (or Jefferson if they switch Parker onto Carter).
Old 04-21-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
rknine15
Buckets Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
There is a problem there.... RJ and Carter would were on the court at the same time. None of them can guard carter and RJ(neither joey tho better then both tj and jose)
Old 04-21-2007, 07:53 PM   #11
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
The only problem with that is that it's a defensive nightmare. Ford is respectable on defense versus point guards because he can use his speed to make up any gaps or seperation and is reasonably good at getting his hand in for steals. Calderon on the other hand just gets abused on defense, he hustles and tries but simply just doesn't have the tools to get it done. Now, if he gets abused by point guards, you can imagine the beatdown he'd recieve from off guards, especially one as talented as Vince Carter (or Jefferson if they switch Parker onto Carter).
true. yeah that would've been a problem. I think it'll also make a difference if Bargnani gets back into game shape and plays more minutes.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #12
gigantes
‪ ‪

teehee.

check out RJ addressing the national media, thanking the toronto fans for coming out and supporting the nets:
http://video.msn.com/v/us/fv/foxspor...g=/nba/stories
Old 04-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #13
ThaKid
King

http://www.nba.com/media/raptors/NJN...v_joey_350.jpg
Joey Graham's great Defense
Old 04-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #14
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Pistol Pete's rant

I agree with everything except for Bargnani. He was the worst player on the floor today. He looks slow and out of shape and still never helps on D. The Nets are too good of a ball movement team to have a slouch like him on the floor. Too many times he'll be watching his own man while an opposing player is going up for an easy layup right behind his back. This isn't the time to learn these things, this is the time where you need your most ready players and you need to win games. His role should be limited to maybe spelling the other forwards in case of foul trouble or in a desperate attempt to bust a zone if he can actually take smart shots. He won't play D, he's slow coming off his surgery and he's making horrible decisions on offense.

Humphries is playing well lately and deserves his time. Other than the one really stupid foul he committed on a Vince fadeaway (just put your arms straight up!) he was exactly what the Raptors needed. Bosh, Rasho, Humphries... these 3 should be seeing the most time at PF and C in that order.

But since we know Rasho and Mo Pete will continue to be ignored all this is moot. The substitutions have rarely made sense this year and and this game was just another example.

EDIT: And if I was TJ Ford I'd be pissed off after today. He did everything he could to keep the game somewhat close and then has to sit.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:16 PM   #15
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I'd also like to see some +/- stats for this game. I'd be willing to bet there was a HUGE difference for the time Bosh was on the floor and when he wasn't. Another reason why I actually thought he played well.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Closed Thread