Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-28-2007, 05:07 AM   #1
DetroitBadBoys
Saw a basketball once

Default Help defending guys bigger than you.

I'm 5'10 and 136lbs, pretty skinny, and I usually play 1/2. But now on my new team, they want me to play 3/4 mainly because we dont have any tall guys, and i got a decent vertical.
We play a 2-3 zone, and I find I really cant stop the big guys from driving and scoring on me. The guys are usually at least a head taller than me and quite built, and I don't have the body to hold them out when they post on me, or even when they drive at me.
I find that I can usually intercept the passes into the big guys, and I can block them when i move across for help defence. But there's not much I can do when they got the ball and they're trying to score on me.
And I'm also weak rebounding and boxing out. Sometimes I try to draw charges but they just bump me a little and step around me, maybe cos I'm too skinny.
I was just wondering if you have any tips for me on anything I could do to stop them from scoring and rebounding so easily.
DetroitBadBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
laker4life
I usually hit open layups

Default Re: Help defending guys bigger than you.

Try to go for the steal when they're driving?
laker4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #3
Makin' it happen
Saw a basketball once

So it sounds like ur playing the middle on the 2-3, right? If a player wants to post u up front him, then it is the away wings responsibility to help on the lob, make sure u comunicate though. if u see the lob coming u may have to call help. if the offensive player recieves the ball at the high post and they trully are a head higher than u chances are u are faster, keep ur feet moving theres should be no reason a player that much bigger than u should beat u off the dribble unless u're a deffinsive reject. make him shoot over u from there and then block out. wrap him up on the block out, make him have to run u over for the board. chances r if ur not playing in a pick up game and there are refs there will be a over the back call.:)
Makin' it happen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:31 AM   #4
sick_brah07
National High School Star

jus hack the **** out of them lol usualy refs allow u to be bit more ruff when somebody is alot bigger then you
sick_brah07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
spin57
Not airballing my layups anymore

you got to front him and you got to anticapate where he is going some and beat him to the spot , make him work to get the ball first then if he gets it remember big guys like to bring the ball down to there waist alot or dribble first be aware and play the ball you got to want to stop him use your fouls smart and talk and use your team to help
spin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
KaptnKirk12
Made that high school varsity squad

1. Get stronger.
2. When you play the post, don't play like a girl. Push, grab, hack - you have 5 fouls, use them.
3. Cut off the passing lanes to the big man.
4. Also talk to your teamates to let them know there is a player behind them who could get a pass. Talking in a zone is very important.
KaptnKirk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
bruinballer
I usually hit open layups

give 'em a head butt in the 'nads...
bruinballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
raptorsfan
Saw a basketball once

you have to communicate on defense when you're unable to stop someone, call for help.talk to the coach about sending quick double teams, if you have a good coach he'll listen.
raptorsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: