Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Intentionally walking batters in baseball: A p ussy move or good strategy?

I understand the strategy behind intentionally walking a batter. For instance, if you have a runner on second with one out and you wanna set up the double play, that's fine. That sort of intentional walk doesn't bother me. However, I have a real problem with chicken sh!t pitchers who pitch around the top notch talent b/c they are afraid. Some of these hurlers make a lot of money, and when you pitch around a guy like Bonds, you are basically admitting to the fans in attendance and watching on TV that you don't have enough faith in your "stuff" to get him out. You are admitting that you are gutless I hate that. For instance, I don't wanna see a guy like Jason Schmidt (for example) walking Bonds. Dude, they are paying you MILLIONS of dollars, because they are under the belief that you have good stuff, and when you step on that mound and pitch around him? CMON! Man up, and throw him your best stuff. That's what the fans want to see. We don't pay our good money to see the best players walk 2-3 times a game just because the pitchers are p ussies.

What do you guys think?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Intentionally walking batters in baseball: A p ussy move or good strategy?

It's part of the game, always been.

Still I understand what you're saying. But many times the decision of walking the batter isn't of the pitcher, but of the coach. A pitcher that has made it to the mayor leagues sure has a lot of pride.

Are they paid to take risk of getting a hit or a homerun in an important situation, or are they paid to swallow their pride and take the safe decision -many times not theirs- of walking the batter ?
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Intentionally walking batters in baseball: A p ussy move or good strategy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
It's part of the game, always been.

Still I understand what you're saying. But many times the decision of walking the batter isn't of the pitcher, but of the coach. A pitcher that has made it to the mayor leagues sure has a lot of pride.

Are they paid to take risk of getting a hit or a homerun in an important situation, or are they paid to swallow their pride and take the safe decision -many times not theirs- of walking the batter ?

Understood, but to me, if I'm a pitcher and my manager is doing that to me, it shows that he doesn't have enough confidence in my stuff. Good pitching always beat good hitting
Old 05-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
the birdster
Can barely lace up my sneakers

the birdster has an OK reputation so far

ya i understand what you are saying, but the pitcher has 2 options, walk him and just not worry about him then, or try to strike it out and risk having him crush a homer on ya, which probably wouldnt make your coach happy. so there are up and downs to both sides.
the birdster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

No different from holding the football, kneeling and letting the time run out the last minute of the game instead of playing.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #6
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

It depends on the situation, whether or not it's a good strategy. If first base is open and you can put yourself in a double play situation rather than pitch to a guy like Bonds or Pujols and let him kill you, then sure, it can be advantageous. BUT, the rule of thumb is to never intentionally walk the potentially tying or go-ahead run.

It doesn't make a pitcher, or a manager, a p-ssy. It's not a pissing contest or a macho contest. All you're trying to do is win a baseball game. Besides, considering that even the very best hitters get on base less than half the time, and get a hit a third of the time, it's more of a calculated risk than cowardice. You're handing the opposing team another potential run on a silver platter, on the chance that you can get a double play and take the bat out of a dangerous hitters' hands in the process. It isn't being a "p-ssy." It's risk assessment.

As far as how much money that pitcher is making, it's of no concern to you. You're not paying his salary so it should have no relevance to you.

And if you feel like you're having your money wasted to purchase a ticket only to see an intentional walk (even though in the course of a game it's unlikely you actually will), well, that's your problem. Spend your money elsewhere if you see fit.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
No different from holding the football, kneeling and letting the time run out the last minute of the game instead of playing.
Intentional walks and kneeling to run out the clock have absolutely nothing in common.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #8
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
It depends on the situation, whether or not it's a good strategy. If first base is open and you can put yourself in a double play situation rather than pitch to a guy like Bonds or Pujols and let him kill you, then sure, it can be advantageous. BUT, the rule of thumb is to never intentionally walk the potentially tying or go-ahead run.

It doesn't make a pitcher, or a manager, a p-ssy. It's not a pissing contest or a macho contest. All you're trying to do is win a baseball game. Besides, considering that even the very best hitters get on base less than half the time, and get a hit a third of the time, it's more of a calculated risk than cowardice. You're handing the opposing team another potential run on a silver platter, on the chance that you can get a double play and take the bat out of a dangerous hitters' hands in the process. It isn't being a "p-ssy." It's risk assessment.

As far as how much money that pitcher is making, it's of no concern to you. You're not paying his salary so it should have no relevance to you.

And if you feel like you're having your money wasted to purchase a ticket only to see an intentional walk (even though in the course of a game it's unlikely you actually will), well, that's your problem. Spend your money elsewhere if you see fit.

I said in my post that I understand why pitchers would walk someone to set up the double play, but to walk someone for any other reason just seems stupid to me.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Understood, but to me, if I'm a pitcher and my manager is doing that to me, it shows that he doesn't have enough confidence in my stuff. Good pitching always beat good hitting
How much confidence a manager has in his pitcher has almost nothing to do with it. It's about putting your team in the best possible situation to get out of the inning unscathed. That's it.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
How much confidence a manager has in his pitcher has almost nothing to do with it. It's about putting your team in the best possible situation to get out of the inning unscathed. That's it.

I think it's a matter of knowing the scouting report. If your guy, for instance, has a really nasty slider, and the batter at the plate has problems hitting sliders, then you should follow that strategy.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #11
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

good strategy
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:18 PM   #12
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

A little bit of both. I like to see a good challenge between the pitcher and batter, and intentionally walking them destroys that. However, if a good hitter is at the plate with the chance to win the game then it's probably safer to walk them.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #13
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
I think it's a matter of knowing the scouting report. If your guy, for instance, has a really nasty slider, and the batter at the plate has problems hitting sliders, then you should follow that strategy.
Knowing what pitch to throw, and to what location, and actually executing are two different things.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: