Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-13-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Bobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation here
Default Awesome

Chicago Board of Ed Sued for Teacher Allegedly Showing 'Brokeback Mountain' in Class
Sunday, May 13, 2007

CHICAGO — A girl and her grandparents have sued the Chicago Board of Education, alleging that a substitute teacher showed the R-rated film "Brokeback Mountain" in class.

The lawsuit claims that Jessica Turner, 12, suffered psychological distress after viewing the movie in her 8th grade class at Ashburn Community Elementary School last year.

The film, which won three Oscars, depicts two cowboys who conceal their homosexual affair.

Turner and her grandparents, Kenneth and LaVerne Richardson, are seeking around $500,000 in damages.

"It is very important to me that my children not be exposed to this," said Kenneth Richardson, Turner's guardian. "The teacher knew she was not supposed to do this."

According to the lawsuit filed Friday in Cook County Circuit Court, the video was shown without permission from the students' parents and guardians.

The lawsuit also names Ashburn Principal Jewel Diaz and a substitute teacher, referred to as "Ms. Buford."

The substitute asked a student to shut the classroom door at the West Side school, saying: "What happens in Ms. Buford's class stays in Ms. Buford's class," according to the lawsuit.

Richardson said his granddaughter was traumatized by the movie and had to undergo psychological treatment and counseling.

In 2005, Richardson complained to school administrators about reading material that he said included curse words.

"This was the last straw," he said. "I feel the lawsuit was necessary because of the warning I had already given them on the literature they were giving out to children to read. I told them it was against our faith."

Messages left over the weekend with CPS officials were not immediately returned.

Last edited by Bobcat4Ever : 05-13-2007 at 06:07 PM.
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
det2orl
Good High School Starter

det2orl has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Awesome

How was she psycholocially damaged by watching the movie?
det2orl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Bobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by det2orl
How was she psycholocially damaged by watching the movie?

Lol I know, that family is obviously a bunch of retards.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #4
det2orl
Good High School Starter

det2orl has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4Ever

I never saw the movie though. Was there some real graphic ghey scenes?
det2orl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4Ever

America in general is full of overdramatic retards like this.

Don't like something? Sue or cry racsim/sexism/bigotry etc. until you get your way. That's the American way.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by det2orl
I never saw the movie though. Was there some real graphic ghey scenes?

Apparently so. (I've never seen the movie myself but i've heard)
Old 05-13-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

There are so many weird lawsuits in this country. I can't believe she needed treatment.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
ConanRulesNBC
Very good NBA starter

ConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this boardConanRulesNBC has one of the lowest reputations on this board

What? Are they afraid she's going to become a gay man now?
ConanRulesNBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:54 PM   #9
mid80sjordan
High School JV MVP

mid80sjordan has an OK reputation so far

people disappoint me everyday...

oh well this banana makes me laugh
mid80sjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #10
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

What the heck was that teacher thinking... A 12 year old should not be watching a movie like that (R-Rated) without parental consent. The teacher was a bonehead!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:04 AM   #11
Pakalolo
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Pakalolo has an OK reputation so far

in many countries this movie can be seen by 12 year olds [Germany, Netherlands, Portugal, Norwegen, Japan; in Sweden even 7 year olds are allowed to watch the movie]

in other news : teenage pregnancy rates
Pakalolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:22 AM   #12
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakalolo
in other news : teenage pregnancy rates
Interesting. For some reason it doesn't includes Central & South America, Africa, Asia (except Japan) though. Just caught my attention.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: