Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Atlanta Hawks Forum

Atlanta Hawks Forum Atlanta Hawks message board - atlanta hawks fan forum

Old 05-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #1
frankthetank966
I hit open layups

Default Hawks Mock Draft?

Alrighty,,, (sigh) finally, it appears as if some good luck may be coming or way. We got the best possible pick from the Pacers at 11 and we did pretty well landing a #3 pick. Obviously it would've been nice to get #1 and go after Oden but I really don't think there will be much of a difference in #2 and #3 for the Hawks because the first pick will most likely be Oden, and Durant will probably go second. So unless Knight wanted to get fired there is no way he would have drafted Durant at second when we need a center and point guard.

Anyways who do ya'll think the Hawks will take at #3 and #11?

My takes:

#3 Al Horford PF/C
Oh man, this guy is a great choice for the Hawks 6-9, 240 lbs plays center and power forward. This way we get a center and Knight can draft his forward in the first round that is why I think he is the more likely pick even though I would like to see Hibbert.

Inside Hoops says,
"Banger with basketball brains and terrific athletic ability. Physically he's ready for the NBA right now. Horford is no lock to go #3."

#3 Roy Hibbert C DID NOT DECLARE FOR DRAFT

In my mind he is the best pick at this spot. Hibbert is 7-2; 272 lbs. which is the tallest and biggest body in the draft. People compare Hibbert to Patrick Ewing. Hibbert is clutch as we saw in the tournament and he is NBA ready. By the way has anyone else noticed how he improves every year?

Inside Hoops says, "He's big and shoots an insane field goal percentage because of all his up-close shots, but mostly just seems like a solid size guy who can take up space. A solid big guy."

#3 Mike Connely PG

Arguably the best PG in the draft. He almost led the Buckeyes to a national championship as a FRESHMAN. I truly believe that if we get him everyone will forget about or mistake of not drafting Deron Williams or Chris Paul (but that is another issue.)

Inside Hoops says, "Stats: 11.3 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 6.1 apg, 2.2 spg, 51.8% FG, 30.4% 3FG
Many felt Conley was the best player on OSU this season and the driving force behind a lot of their success. He'll definitely keep improving."

p.s. we could pick him at #11

#11 Acie Law PG

If we decide to draft a C with the #11 pick we will have to take a PG. Law is a possibility. He has superb assists to turnover ratio, but his only downside is he is not as athletic as Knight would like. Law average 16+ points the past two seasons.

Inside Hoops says, "A solid all-around point guard who also pours in points and barely misses any shots."

#11 Corey Brewer G

Brewer can play point guard and would probably be one of the best PG's available in the draft. Brewer comes from a winning team. His defense is amazing but needs to improve his ball handling.

Inside Hoops says, "Long-limbed Brewer can run and defend. We're not sure how his outside shooting will work in the pros. But the kid is a "baller" who makes a difference."

#11 Yi Jianlian PF/C

This guy from China put up a double double in the Olympics versus U.S.A. Although he plays international he would be an awesome pick if we take Conely since we still need to get a C. At 7-0, 230 lbs. he brings pretty solid depth to this team. It may take a few months to get used to the NBA but I think its worth it espically since people say he may be the next Dirk.

Inside Hoops says,
"A power forward who thinks he's a small forward, even though he's the height of a center."

Last edited by frankthetank966 : 05-28-2007 at 01:17 AM.
frankthetank966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:50 PM   #2
csc30
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Re: Hawks Mock Draft?

I like Al Horford with the #3. I think we should definitely pick up one of the 2 time Champion Gator team and I think he would be a good fit. If Conley is gone for the #11 which he probably will, I say Law or Brewer. I have no idea, a point guard with our first pick might be good too, I am excited and wish June 28th was tomorrow.
csc30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
trig
Decent college freshman

ATL need a pg and a C. Horford and brandan plays the same position as Marvin and shelden. Unless ATL wants to play 2 forwards in the front court. Conley on the other hand is projected as mid lottery so #3 might be too high. Maybe ATL should consider trading down or try trading there #11 for a slightly higher pick to get conley
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:03 AM   #4
frankthetank966
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig
ATL need a pg and a C. Horford and brandan plays the same position as Marvin and shelden. Unless ATL wants to play 2 forwards in the front court. Conley on the other hand is projected as mid lottery so #3 might be too high. Maybe ATL should consider trading down or try trading there #11 for a slightly higher pick to get conley
I do not think we should trade our #3 to go down. But I agree with you on trading #11 to get Conely. Maybe throw in Speedy, Salim or Chill.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:04 AM   #5
frankthetank966
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig
I do not think we should trade our #3 to go down. But I agree with you on trading #11 to get Conely. Maybe throw in Speedy, Salim or Chill.

p.s. what did the pacers have to get to keep their pick. Wasn't it top 10?
Old 05-23-2007, 03:14 AM   #6
trig
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank966

p.s. what did the pacers have to get to keep their pick. Wasn't it top 10?

yeah its top 10 protected and boy does indiana have a crappy team
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
Heretik32
Myrrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank966
Alrighty,,, (sigh) finally, it appears as if some good luck may be coming or way.

Your team has had luck coming its way the passt few years, your GM and his goons have just been too damn stupid to make anything out of it.
I hate to admit it, but after quite liking the Hawks' possibilities for a few seasons, I've become to loathe your organisation as of late. They syphon talent off the league and bumble around with a poorly constructed team without any sign of team progress whatsoever. And now you're rewarded with two high picks.
Well, here's hoping for your organisation to flex its drafting brain again. Nothing against you fans, but your team just plain out vexes me.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:55 AM   #8
T21
I brick open layups

... If we could work things out, I'd have Al Horford and Conley!
Horford is NBA ready and let's face it, we need a guy who can step right in and complement our team...
Conley could develop into outstanding NBA PG and he fits the bill, because he also matches Hawks' running and athletic type of game... plus he wouldn't be under great deal of pressure, because JJ and Chill are great ball-handlers and offcourse there are our backups...
T21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
frankthetank966
I hit open layups

I have been reading up on Mock Draft and a ton of them have us selecting Brandon Wright at #3, no pun intended but that would be the WRONG PICK!!! We do not need another player who we can wait to develop and hope will be the next big forward. We need immediate impact, we have not made the playoffs in over eight years. And that is why we need to bring in Hortford who is the most NBA ready player out of anyone in this draft.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #10
mateo31
Go ahead, make my day.

Actually I believe in order for the Pacers to keep their pick it had to be in the top 3. The Pacers first round pick to the Hawks was "top 3 lottery protected." The Pacers had like a .98 percent chance of getting a top three pick. In my opinion the Hawks should take Mike Conley at number 3. He is that good in my opinion. I'm not sure what they should do with the #11 pick.
mateo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #11
frankthetank966
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo31
Actually I believe in order for the Pacers to keep their pick it had to be in the top 3. The Pacers first round pick to the Hawks was "top 3 lottery protected." The Pacers had like a .98 percent chance of getting a top three pick. In my opinion the Hawks should take Mike Conley at number 3. He is that good in my opinion. I'm not sure what they should do with the #11 pick.
I agree!!! Now for the 11th I think they should either trade up and trade to get Hortford or the chineese C or they trade it for a veteran player like Dirk or KG. Possibly a sign-trade for Carter. Those are all players that would help out the team a ton.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #12
mateo31
Go ahead, make my day.

I have already entered a response, and as I said before I believe the Hawks should take Mike Conley Jr. with the #3 pick. He can get into the lane and cause havoc for defenses. Good midrange game and a solid defender. It would be tempting to take a big guy with the #3 pick like Al Horford, but I just believe Conley is too good to pass up. By the time the #11 pick roles around I believe a lot of the big men will be picked up already. Spencer Hawes a big guy out of Washington University is a pretty talented big who might still be around at #11. He has a nice touch around the basket, decent ball handling and passing skills for a big guy. He can even block a few shots and hit a mid range jumper occasionally. He can rebound a little as well. He's kind of like Brad Miller (when he's healthy). Joakim Noah could be around at 11 as well and would be a decent pick at 11.
mateo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:13 PM   #13
frankthetank966
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo31
I have already entered a response, and as I said before I believe the Hawks should take Mike Conley Jr. with the #3 pick. He can get into the lane and cause havoc for defenses. Good midrange game and a solid defender. It would be tempting to take a big guy with the #3 pick like Al Horford, but I just believe Conley is too good to pass up. By the time the #11 pick roles around I believe a lot of the big men will be picked up already. Spencer Hawes a big guy out of Washington University is a pretty talented big who might still be around at #11. He has a nice touch around the basket, decent ball handling and passing skills for a big guy. He can even block a few shots and hit a mid range jumper occasionally. He can rebound a little as well. He's kind of like Brad Miller (when he's healthy). Joakim Noah could be around at 11 as well and would be a decent pick at 11.

I agree. I think we MUST take Conely at #3. I have put up without getting a starting PG for the past three seasons and now that we have plugged our holes at F we must take a PG. We need a PG more than we need a C. Zaza was not an awful C last year. He is easily top 15 and I would possibly consider him top 12. He has only played 3 full sesons and two with starting minutes in the league. He is also only 23 so he still has some good growth. Anyways as for the #11. Do you think there is any possible way we could trade up and get #1 and draft Oden? I was thinking about a package like this Chilldress, and Shelden, #11, and a future #1 rounder - #1. I think thats fair, but they probably would not do it.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #14
jailer
MillionDollarException

Whatever two players you take,they will be good players.Just do'nt take Yi from china.I want the grizz to get him at four.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:46 AM   #15
PacerRaptor
B-Rush for ROY

if you guys can grab Conley at #3 (because he for sure wont last until #11) and Yi Jianlian at #11, you guys would be set...you guys would have a GOOD young core...this line up probably wont be the lineup for next year, but give it another year (or even till after all-star break):

Conley Jr
Joe Johnson
Josh Smith
Sheldon Williams
Yi Jianlian

amazing line up...probably wont make the playoffs next year, but give this lineup 3 years and it will definetly make noise....
PacerRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: