Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 07-06-2006, 06:22 AM   #1
simmoboy
Can barely lace up my sneakers

simmoboy has an OK reputation so far
Default Aussie trying to get to America.

Hey All

Im a pritty good player here in Australia and would really like to go to America next year to do my senior year of high school there and have a go at getting a college scholarship but I just dont no where to start.
My question is does anyone here have any high school connections or no of some websites or people to ring to get me started.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Brent
simmoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
WADE MONEY
I hit open jumpers.

WADE MONEY has an OK reputation so far

I would imagine that you would do a lot better if you stayed in Australia and play in some leagues, and light it up there. That way you don't have to worry about adjusting to American life and can concentrate on basketball. You have to get noticed in Australia first before you can try to succeed in America. Good luck man
WADE MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:33 AM   #3
simmoboy

Thanks man im currently playing in the ABA which is the 2nd highest league in Australia and im the youngest player in my confrence and i guess i just want to go to america and see just how good i really am. I played in a tournement last month which had a team from Iowa and went pritty well against them so i am just trying to find the best way to get into college.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:03 AM   #4
Phoenix_Suns1

Phoenix_Suns1 has an OK reputation so far

What club do u play for?
Phoenix_Suns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:11 AM   #5
simmoboy

Mildura Mavericks.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:28 AM   #6
InLebronWeTrust
High School Varsity 12th Man

InLebronWeTrust has decent reputation

Come to my high school man. Our team sucks. If you can shoot 40% .. you'd start. If you'd be interested in checking it out i'd love to help you out man. Just need to tell me. I live in Pennsylvania.
InLebronWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:37 AM   #7
InLebronWeTrust
High School Varsity 12th Man

InLebronWeTrust has decent reputation

Also, I'm just curious what position you like to play and your height. Let me know man and if your interested again. If you have any questions, post them on here or you can email me eric_9087@hotmail.com.

Thanks

Last edited by InLebronWeTrust : 07-08-2006 at 03:17 AM.
InLebronWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #8
Twiens
lakers/raptors

Twiens is considered somewhat coolTwiens is considered somewhat coolTwiens is considered somewhat cool

LOL, Come to Canada and play for my highschool.

Canada>USA
Twiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #9
coach23
I Hit Open Layups

coach23 has an OK reputation so far
Default I AM A nj hIGH SCHOOL COACH THAT CAN HELP

you come to america to play. I am also connected in the college recruiting world If you are serious leave your e mail address or contact information. Also, you might want to try some exposure camps in the us first Good Luck
coach23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:53 AM   #10
simmoboy

Thanks
my email is simmoboy@hotmail.com.
Yer I have been looking into some camps and will be applying for some in the next 12 months.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:40 AM   #11
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Hi Simmoboy...
In the past I have also played against the IOWA teams that tour Bendigo and Melbourne. Without sounding negative, those teams are poor in comparison to average to above average HS teams in America. I have a relative who played in a mid-level tournament in Portland USA and it was easily double the standard of those teams.
Personally I would suggest you stay in Mildura... if u work hard you will grow more as a player in the ABA than in HS in USA.
However if you are 6'6'' or taller and agile, or smaller but unbelievably quick and can shoot like hell, get into the AIS, cos they get exposed to colleges, and you wont have to worry about moving to the Usa till your 19 or 20.
Aussies train u up better than USA coaches.... check out our "successful athlete per capita" compared to them.
kind regards
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:53 PM   #12
simmoboy

Thanks G-train yer i am looking at the ais and waiting for them to post the list of available scholarships.
I'm just under 6'4" so im not a big man but I do have some speed over a short distance.

If I were to stay in Australia and finish school next year whats the best way to get your name out to college coaches and when should I start?
Old 08-22-2006, 06:23 AM   #13
Laphonz

Laphonz has an OK reputation so far
Talking

I'm not sure if you'd know of Matthew Knight but he played for the North West Thunder in Tassie(Aus). I'm pretty sure he was noticed by the AIS but was shipped off to a HS in the states before the AIS could get him to play and is now playing for a College team, not sure which one though?? He was 6'10", 240lbs, mind you. If you were serious I'd be contacting HS coaches (they usually have websites), if they don't need you I'm sure they'd direct you in the right direction. Also you might want to take into account that it might take a bit of money to relocate to the states, just make sure you find out all the details before you start making descisions.
Laphonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 06:29 AM   #14
AttackTheRim

AttackTheRim has an OK reputation so far

I got a scholarship and play college ball now (grew up in melbourne, oringally a euro) I was not allowed to play aba as it would ruin my eligablility. Because ABA is classed a semi pro with paid players that makes you ineligable to play... same thing happened to my friend at Nichols State, Louisiana who played for Werribee VBL yet would of been the goto guy on the ABA team.

As for the tour teams that come from the US they suck..... we (aus) done a tour in 04 and again in 05 and the highschools we played would be a contender for the nbl championship.
if you're 6'4 get used to being a point, maybe a 2.... no hope other then the 1 spot. but if youre playing on a paid team with atgleast one paid player.... your eligablility is ****ed.
good luck.
btw you think the GST is bad? try the US TAX
AttackTheRim is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: