Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 05-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #1
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Bobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation here
Default Vincent: I Expect This Team To Make The Playoffs

Quote:
Bobcats new coach: I expect
this team to make playoffs
RICK BONNELL
rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com

He looked like a 44-year-old man with a shaved head.

But new Charlotte Bobcats coach Sam Vincent sure sounded like Raymond Felton Friday.

"I absolutely, positively anticipate this team being in the playoffs,'' Vincent said, "and I would be incredibly discouraged and disappointed if we don't'' qualify.

Bobcats point guard Felton boldly -- and incorrectly -- predicted the playoffs each of his first two NBA seasons. But Vincent has a better chance to be right; the team he inherits played like one of the eight best in the Eastern Conference at the conclusion of last season.

Vincent says he received a three-year contract from the Bobcats. He didn't discuss salary or whether he or the Bobcats have any option clauses for a fourth season.

Despite his inexperience -- Vincent has never been an NBA head coach or lead assistant -- the Bobcats' new coach sounds confident and assertive. Lee Rose, who coached the Charlotte 49ers to the Final Four in 1977, says Vincent is more ready than the public might anticipate.

"He's really focused, he's articulate and he's extremely well-organized in everything he does,'' said Rose, who mentored Vincent as supervisor of coaches in the NBA's developmental league.

"I critiqued him in practices, in games and at shootarounds. Every time I suggested something, he took it in the positive way it was intended.''

Rose attended Friday's press conference, and don't be surprised if the former Charlotte Hornets assistant ends up on Vincent's staff. Vincent wants to hire a veteran lead assistant and mentioned Rose as a possibility.

Rose and Vincent will both be in Orlando, Fla., for next week's pre-draft camp and Rose said he'd be happy to talk to Vincent then.

Vincent takes over for Bernie Bickerstaff, who left the bench this spring. Bickerstaff will continue with the Bobcats as an executive vice president, working with managing partner Michael Jordan.

Making Bickerstaff executive vice president could open a spot for Jordan to hire a general manager. Jordan said he's considering that option but emphasized Bickerstaff would continue to have a big say in basketball decisions.

Jordan and Vincent played together in Chicago during part of Vincent's seven-season NBA career as a point guard. But it was former Bobcats assistant general manager Karl Hicks who flagged Vincent as a young coach worth tracking.

Jordan asked Hicks, now working for the ACC, to suggest some rising stars in the coaching profession. Vincent was an assistant with the Dallas Mavericks last season, after coaching in the Developmental League and overseas.

Jordan listed three priorities Vincent described in his job interview.

"Maintain the energy level, focus on the defensive end and continue (individual) player development,'' Jordan recalled. "No matter what you do, those are quality ingredients for a young franchise.''

Vincent's teams in the D-league were typically strong defensively, with a rugged, physical approach. The Bobcats' playoff chances evaporated last season when they couldn't defend during a 15-game absence by shotblocker-rebounder Emeka Okafor.

http://www.charlotte.com/bobcats/story/135592.html
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
LakerWarrior12
Local High School Star

LakerWarrior12 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Vincent: I Expect This Team To Make The Playoffs

The Bobcats aren't making the playoffs with Adam Morrison's FG percentage.
LakerWarrior12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Bobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerWarrior12
The Bobcats aren't making the playoffs with Adam Morrison's FG percentage.

Yeh since he's the only one on the team.........
Old 05-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
LakerWarrior12
Local High School Star

Angry Re: Vincent: I Expect This Team To Make The Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4Ever
Yeh since he's the only one on the team.........

FG% 37

3p% .337

PPG- 11.8

He basically hurt the team's chances of making the playoffs. If Morrison's FG% wasn't in the 30% range and his WAS actually in the mid 40% range, this team would have gotten the 8th spot.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerWarrior12
FG% 37

3p% .337

PPG- 11.8

He basically hurt the team's chances of making the playoffs. If Morrison's FG% wasn't in the 30% range and his WAS actually in the mid 40% range, this team would have gotten the 8th spot.

You can't honestly tell me that Adam Morrison was the reason this team didn't make the playoffs. Now i'm not one to come up with excuses but injuries played a major part. Also, we weren't really a 2nd half team this year (or for that matter, ever). We usually come out blazing in the 1st half but can't do crap in the 2nd.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:11 PM   #6
LakerWarrior12
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4Ever
You can't honestly tell me that Adam Morrison was the reason this team didn't make the playoffs. Now i'm not one to come up with excuses but injuries played a major part. Also, we weren't really a 2nd half team this year (or for that matter, ever). We usually come out blazing in the 1st half but can't do crap in the 2nd.

Guess you're right on the injury part.

But I think its unusual for a rookie to rank in Field Goal attempts per 48 minutes.

Ranks #32 in the NBA in Field-Goal Attempts Per 48 Minutes(19.48)

Maybe next season will be better.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Morrison lost his starting spot at the end of the year.

Charlotte would have been in contention for the playoffs had Okafor not been injured.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

So.. I guess Charlotte wont make the playoffs next year because of Adam Morrisons shooting percentage? Thats almost like saying the Spurs wont make the playoffs because Bruce Bowen has a low shooting percentage. Thats probably a poor analogy, but it simply states that Morrison will more than likely be a role player next year, and not 1 player, especially a role player signifies where a team will be in the upcoming season. If you told me that Gerald Wallace was going to shoot 37% next season than yeah.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 12:42 AM   #9
A-MATT
Banned

A-MATT has an OK reputation so far

he just said that so he can give yall motivation. believe me, bob mcnair said that about the Texans this year.
A-MATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #10
ILuvThisGame
My Swag is Phenomenal

ILuvThisGame has an OK reputation so far

Adam Morrison's field goal percentage kept us out of the playoffs is a joke. he was our 6th leading scorer. Since when does the 6th man's field goal percentage factor into winning 8 more games?

Unless you have a 6th man of the year candidate it doesn't.
ILuvThisGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #11
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation

Cats didn't make the playoffs because: injuries; seeming to forget that it's important to get offensive rebounds; too many turnovers at the wrong time; bad shooting; 3 or 4 of our good shooters having bad nights at the same time; sloppy passing which encouraged opponents to steal the ball; running out of steam before the final buzzer. Etc. Not that other teams don't do the same things at times. But the teams that make the playoffs do this stuff much less often. Don't get me wrong--I love our guys--and they have the talent to be great(er) given the right coach. So--new coach--we will be watching...........
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: