Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 05-31-2007, 11:14 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Conf Finals: Pistons-Cavs Game 5

Game 5 is tonight. The series is tied 2-2. Winner of the series advances to the NBA Finals to face the Spurs, who eliminated the Jazz in five games.

Discuss the game! Post interesting, thoughtful game observations that others can respond to. Please avoid just posting random comments about the game that don't explain themselves. "Bad shot by Hughes" isn't useful, because five minutes later no one remembers what shot that post refers to. But "Hughes is taking bad, forced shots and repeatedly getting killed on defense by Billups" is useful, because it tells you something about the game. So please try to share interesting game observations!

Game 4 talk was here: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43201

Enjoy game 5!

Last edited by insidehoops : 05-31-2007 at 11:19 AM.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
BigTicket
Cavs for life

BigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Conf Finals: Pistons-Cavs Game 5

Think the Cavs take this one, they came very close in games 1 and 2, and it seems like they have figured out how to open up the floor for Lebron.

Sadly however I want be able to watch this one due to work.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Although that may be the case, Detroit knows that it cannot allow a repeat of last year (falling 3-2 because of a failure to protect home court).

I see Detroit coming out on top, with Billups playing a superstar game, and Daniel Gibson whimpering in submission. as good as he was in Game 4, no way he gets the same results in Auburn Hills. the Pistons will ajdust
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
ChrisConley
Local High School Star

ChrisConley has an OK reputation so far

I think Sheed fires his team up and the Pistons come out strong tonight. They've been playing poor basketball all series. How many more games can it last?
ChrisConley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
BigTicket
Cavs for life

BigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected posterBigTicket is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisConley
I think Sheed fires his team up and the Pistons come out strong tonight. They've been playing poor basketball all series. How many more games can it last?

That sort of argument really annoys me, it isn't the Pistons playing poorly, it's the Cavs making them play poorly, not at all the same.

Anyway I think a major deciding factor could be how the refs call the game, if they allow a lot of contact like games 1 and 2 that's to the Pistons advantage.
BigTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
FPower
Local High School Star

FPower has decent reputation

Quote:
Anyway I think a major deciding factor could be how the refs call the game, if they allow a lot of contact like games 1 and 2 that's to the Pistons advantage.

I disagree with this statement. The Cavaliers, and as this series has progressed they've earned my respect, play uglier than the Pistons. The Cavs are trying to win these games by making them as sloppy and physical as possible. They're doing a great job in that respect, and frustrating the Pistons as a result.

Honestly, this is the series I thought the Pistons would get from the Bulls. But as far as I can tell, the Cavs defense>>>>Bulls defense. And just by looking at the personnel, that doesn't make a lot of sense. I think Mike Brown's coaching deserves a lot of credit considering he's gotten Lebron's scrubmates playing so well together on D.

The Cavs have set the pace for every game this series, so I don't see why that would change tonight.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

did sheed's tech for throwing his headband at rip get rescinded? that was really bad, it was obviously intended (his anger) at his team.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
did sheed's tech for throwing his headband at rip get rescinded? that was really bad, it was obviously intended (his anger) at his team.

He still threw a piece of equipment, which is a no-no...........

As far as the game goes, Cleveland has won in The Palace before, and can do it again. We are seeing this team grow up right before our eyes. LeBron is gonna go for the kill. He realizes that he's the superstar, and that if he is assertive, noone can stop him. I think the days of poor shot selection are over. He realizes the opportunity in front of him, and will seize it.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981

As far as the game goes, Cleveland has won in The Palace before, and can do it again. We are seeing this team grow up right before our eyes. LeBron is gonna go for the kill. He realizes that he's the superstar, and that if he is assertive, noone can stop him. I think the days of poor shot selection are over. He realizes the opportunity in front of him, and will seize it.

***** league, can't throw headband at teammate, MUST be technical because those in charge, if asked to THINK on something, would have their heads explode. TOO DIFFICULT!
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:59 PM   #10
GoldNugg21
Good High School Starter

GoldNugg21 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Somehow I doubt that after 2 good games his entire career of bad shot selection is behind him. Hell, there were plenty of bad shots in those 2 games too, it's just that he's been making them. We'll see if that continues in the Palace. If it doesn't, the Cavs have no chance. If it does, the Pistons still might win.

But like all these games, it will probably be close at the end. There is, without a doubt, a chance for the Cavs to steal it.
GoldNugg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:00 PM   #11
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I heard Flip's explanation after the game for the technical, and it sounded awful. Bottom line is, you can't act like that. Gooden somehow got by with a b!tch foul there on Wallace. He got the tech, but was VERY lucky that it didn't hurt them too bad. Also, Walace has a certain reputation, so he has to be extra careful in the way he conducts himself.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 PM   #12
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldNugg21
Somehow I doubt that after 2 good games his entire career of bad shot selection is behind him. Hell, there were plenty of bad shots in those 2 games too, it's just that he's been making them. We'll see if that continues in the Palace. If it doesn't, the Cavs have no chance. If it does, the Pistons still might win.

But like all these games, it will probably be close at the end. There is, without a doubt, a chance for the Cavs to steal it.

You have a good point. I normally wouldn't make a rash judgement after 2 games and declare his shot selection problems to be over, but I just feel as if he is gonna soak up this opportunity and play completely out of his mind. He is not intimidated by playing in The Palace, and he sure as hell doesn't want the same thing to happen in game 5 that happened at the end of games 1 and 2.

I just seem a different LeBron emerging right in front of our eyes.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
bekalc
I brick open layups

bekalc has an OK reputation so far

Bill Walton made a great comment about the Pistons. He said that the Pistons are a good team but they think they are better than they actually are. He says they compare themselves to this famous Knicks team, but they are not as good as that team, that team had 6 of the greatest players to play the game..

In a weak conference the Pistons may get away with the coasting a bit. But if they think they can get away with composure problems and coasting against San Antonio they are very mistaken.. Yes San Antonio to can fall asleep at the wheel. But they do it less often than the Pistons do..
bekalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 02:08 PM   #14
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekalc
Bill Walton made a great comment about the Pistons. He said that the Pistons are a good team but they think they are better than they actually are. He says they compare themselves to this famous Knicks team, but they are not as good as that team, that team had 6 of the greatest players to play the game..

In a weak conference the Pistons may get away with the coasting a bit. But if they think they can get away with composure problems and coasting against San Antonio they are very mistaken.. Yes San Antonio to can fall asleep at the wheel. But they do it less often than the Pistons do..

The Pistons are extremely arrogant. They conduct themselves as if their sh!t don't stink. They were a very well coached team in 2004 with an awesome underdog mentality. That whole mentality is gone. They truly play better when they are the underdog. Now, they just coast. They are one of the WORST teams in the league at coasting. A lot of these guys forgot where they came from.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:22 PM   #15
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
The Pistons are extremely arrogant. They conduct themselves as if their sh!t don't stink. They were a very well coached team in 2004 with an awesome underdog mentality. That whole mentality is gone. They truly play better when they are the underdog. Now, they just coast. They are one of the WORST teams in the league at coasting. A lot of these guys forgot where they came from.

That is BS the Pistons have been mailing in games since '03? Nothing has changed, they're just in the spotlight now. Down 3-1 to the Magic, down 3-2 to the Nets, down 2-1 to the Pacers, down 3-2 to the Cavs, down 2-1 to the Heat, down 2-0 to the Spurs and push it to 7...I'm sure I'm missing some.

They have been mailing in games for years. It's frustrating but don't act like it's some new revelation the past year or two that is a function of their success.

It takes a lot of effort, specifically defensive intensity, for them to win games and they simply don't have it every game.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: