Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
Eldrunko247
Good college starter

Eldrunko247 is considered somewhat coolEldrunko247 is considered somewhat coolEldrunko247 is considered somewhat cool
Default (Orlando predraft camp) Greg Oden's numbers blow Kevin Durant out of the water

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindbla...of_nature.html

Greg Oden is a freak of nature
Posted by Jason Quick June 04, 2007 11:24AM
The Oregonian has secured the official weights, measurements and testing results from the Orlando predraft camp, and wait until you get a load of the freak of nature called Greg Oden.

For starters, his numbers blow Kevin Durant out of the water.

There are several startling revelations in the numbers, and the one that immediately pops out is the bench press. Players were rated on how many times they could bench press 185 pounds. Oden didn't attempt the bench press in order to prevent an injury to his right wrist, which has recently recovered from injury.

But get this: Only one player was unable to bench press 185 even once - Kevin Durant.

There is more.

Oden is faster than Durant in the 3/4-court sprint, quicker in the lane-agility drill, and has better numbers in the running and standing vertical leaps. And, Oden has a mind-boggling 7.8 body-fat percentage ... most big men are north of the 12 percent range. For instance, other top-rated big men such as Washington's Spencer Hawes (13.0), Duke's Josh McRoberts (13.7) and Pitt's Aaron Gray (10.8) don't compare.

Let's get to the specifics.

Oden is 6-foot-11 without shoes, 7-feet with shoes.

He weighs 257 pounds.

His wingspan is 7 feet, 4.25 inches (fourth best in the draft). His standing reach is 9 feet, 4 inches (the highest of anyone in the draft). His standing vertical is 32 inches, his running vertical 34 inches.

The lane agility drill, where a player runs through cones alternating between running backward, sideways and forward, is 11.67 seconds. And his 3/4 court sprint was 3.27 seconds.

The thing that jumps out is Oden's speed and agility.

We all know Oregon's Aaron Brooks is fast. Brooks finished the 3/4 court sprint in 3.2 seconds. Oden was 3.27 seconds. Durant, meanwhile, finished in 3.45.

Oden's 11.67 in the agility drill speaks volumes to the footwork so many scouts rave about. Durant did the same drill in 12.33.

Durant's specifics are as follows:

Height: 6-foot-9 without shoes, 6-foot-10.25 with shoes. Weight: 215.

Wing span: 7-foot-4.75 (second longest in the draft - Maryland's Ekene Ibekwe is 7-6). Standing reach: 9-2.

Body fat: 6.6. Standing vertical jump: 26.0 inches; running vertical jump, 33.5 inches. Lane agility: 12.33 seconds and 3/4 court sprint, 3.45 seconds.

Portland general manager Kevin Pritchard declined to comment on the numbers, in part because he had just received them himself.

But really, there is no need for comment. The numbers speak volumes.

--Quick

Last edited by Eldrunko247 : 06-04-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Eldrunko247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
sammdogg
Local High School Star

sammdogg has decent reputation
Default Re: Greg Oden is a freak of nature

hes a monster.
sammdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

CakeorDeath has decent reputation

I don't find Oden's 7.8 body fat percentage to be that impressive. Sure, its nice in comparison to the other players listed, but all that proves to me is that all of those players need to get into MUCH better shape before training camp begins.

Karl Malone's body fat percentage was always under 5% and I believe at one time was under 3%, so I wouldn't exactly call Oden a freak of nature in that category.

Kid will be great, though, no doubt.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
KINGofTHEcourt
Banned

KINGofTHEcourt has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: (Orlando predraft camp) Greg Oden's numbers blow Kevin Durant out of the water

Wow, Oden's got the tools to be a monster in the NBA. But Durant is weak as I had been saying all along. Back when people thought he could go over Oden in the draft, I always said he wasn't athletic or strong enough to be picked over Oden, and these numbers prove it right. Kevin will need some intense NBA level training this summer.
KINGofTHEcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:56 PM   #5
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: (Orlando predraft camp) Greg Oden's numbers blow Kevin Durant out of the water

Oden is a beast but Durants game was never based on athletism. Oden is the pick for #1 but why try to bring Durant down. Dude is 6"10(7"4 wing span) and the fact that he cant bench 185 is a good thing in my mind because it means he has a lot of room for improvement but also bring to mind we he hasnt started using the weight room yet....
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:57 PM   #6
Eldrunko247
Good college starter

Eldrunko247 is considered somewhat coolEldrunko247 is considered somewhat coolEldrunko247 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
Oden is a beast but Durants game was never based on athletism. Oden is the pick for #1 but why try to bring Durant down. Dude is 6"10 and the fact that he cant bench 185 is a good thing in my mind because it means he has a lot of room for improvement but also bring to mind we he hasnt started using the weight room yet....
The fact that he can't bench his bodyweight is gay, sorry but it is.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
The Answer
National High School Star

The Answer has decent reputationThe Answer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldrunko247
But get this: Only one player was unable to bench press 185 even once - Kevin Durant.

That's really embarrassing. If I was him, I would have just not done it like Oden. I'm positive he's heard all the criticism about not being strong enough to handle various aspects of the game. Why then would he subject himself to that? He had to have known he'd ultimately fail.

Also, didn't Bynum max out at like 135lbs. a couple years ago, or am I making that up?
The Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation hereIGOTGAME has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldrunko247
The fact that he can't bench his bodyweight is gay, sorry but it is.

are you 6"10 because it gets harder the taller you are. Durant will get stronger, I dont see why that would be a big deal.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #9
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
are you 6"10 because it gets harder the taller you are.

Apparently he was the only tall guy that couldnt do it though.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
Eldrunko247
Good college starter

Quote:
are you 6"10 because it gets harder the taller you are. Durant will get stronger, I dont see why that would be a big deal.
It doesn't get harder the taller you are stupid. That has nothing to do with it at all. By you're reasoning all the guys in the NBA should be weaker than the person of average height because they're taller and it's 'harder" for them. If anything it should be easier for them.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #11
dirkdiggler41
(no Dirk homer)

dirkdiggler41 is popular on this boarddirkdiggler41 is popular on this boarddirkdiggler41 is popular on this boarddirkdiggler41 is popular on this boarddirkdiggler41 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
I don't find Oden's 7.8 body fat percentage to be that impressive. Sure, its nice in comparison to the other players listed, but all that proves to me is that all of those players need to get into MUCH better shape before training camp begins.

Karl Malone's body fat percentage was always under 5% and I believe at one time was under 3%, so I wouldn't exactly call Oden a freak of nature in that category.

Kid will be great, though, no doubt.

A person can only be around 3% for a few hours before they have to send him to the hospital. It's extremly unhealthy. Ronnie Coleman and Jay Cutler are around 4% body fat when they are on stage for olympia and they have been preparing for that a long time
dirkdiggler41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #12
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

NO its eaiser to bench when you are taller.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #13
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
NO its eaiser to bench when you are taller.

i always hard the longer you arms were the longer it you had to control the weight...

I have also heard its harder to squat for taller people for close to the same reason
Old 06-04-2007, 04:11 PM   #14
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

My friends brother was pretty serious into weight lifitng and he told me the taller you are the easier it is.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #15
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

We already knew Oden was better than Durant. Don't need numbers.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: