Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Houston Rockets Forum

Houston Rockets Forum Houston Rockets message board - rockets fan forum

Old 07-08-2007, 03:55 AM   #1
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default A Couple Power Forward Ideas

After seeing that the Rockets talked about trading Alston for Udonis Haslem, I started thinking of some other guys they could trade him for.

The first idea I thought of was to do a sign and trade with Orlando to get Milicic. He adds some youth and is 7-0. I think he would do well next to Yao. I don't know how much Milicic would get, but they could throw in Bobby Sura as a guy who's contract will run out next year to make the deal work. Orlando might like that to get some cap relief. I know they have Nelson, but I don't think he is the answer for them. If they want to make a run this year, Alston would be a better option and you could bring Nelson off the bench as a scorer. I think it works for both teams.

Another guy I thought of was Leon Powe. I think Houston should have a roster spot for him to sign him. They could also sign and trade him to get rid off Novak or something. He plays really hard and while he wouldn't be a starter, he could backup at both PF and C. I would look to sign him even if they make another trade for a PF.

The next guy I looked at was Ike Diogu from Indiana. They might have to take on Harrison as well to make the deal work, but that wouldn't be that bad. Diogu could compete for a starting spot, and with O'Neal, Murphy, Granger, and Foster the Pacers could afford to give him up. I think he could play between 20-25 minutes and get somewhere around 12 and 8. Harrison is a 7-footer who could play 10 minutes behind Yao.

The other idea I thought of was if the rumor is true that Cleveland would trade Gooden if they signed Varejao. The issue with this trade is if Cleveland would want to take on another PG. I think Alston is an upgrade over Snow, and I am not sure Gibson is really the answer at PG despite his playoff showing, but they seem really high on him. Plus they have Jones, Brown, and Wesley who really add a lot of depth at guard.

I am just wondering what you guys have heard and if anything like these are even possible. I would like to see they re-sign Hayes and add another guy. I would really like to see them do the Milicic trade, re-sign Hayes, and sign Powe. Not sure if they have enough money, but Yao, Milicic, Hayes, Diogu, and Reed inside is not a bad lineup and is pretty young.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation
Default Re: A Couple Power Forward Ideas

Right now the need any body they have basically no PF (excluding Hayes since he is so under sized for the position.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
kangaroostew
Can barely lace up my sneakers

kangaroostew has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
After seeing that the Rockets talked about trading Alston for Udonis Haslem, I started thinking of some other guys they could trade him for.

The first idea I thought of was to do a sign and trade with Orlando to get Milicic. He adds some youth and is 7-0. I think he would do well next to Yao. I don't know how much Milicic would get, but they could throw in Bobby Sura as a guy who's contract will run out next year to make the deal work. Orlando might like that to get some cap relief. I know they have Nelson, but I don't think he is the answer for them. If they want to make a run this year, Alston would be a better option and you could bring Nelson off the bench as a scorer. I think it works for both teams.

Another guy I thought of was Leon Powe. I think Houston should have a roster spot for him to sign him. They could also sign and trade him to get rid off Novak or something. He plays really hard and while he wouldn't be a starter, he could backup at both PF and C. I would look to sign him even if they make another trade for a PF.

The next guy I looked at was Ike Diogu from Indiana. They might have to take on Harrison as well to make the deal work, but that wouldn't be that bad. Diogu could compete for a starting spot, and with O'Neal, Murphy, Granger, and Foster the Pacers could afford to give him up. I think he could play between 20-25 minutes and get somewhere around 12 and 8. Harrison is a 7-footer who could play 10 minutes behind Yao.

The other idea I thought of was if the rumor is true that Cleveland would trade Gooden if they signed Varejao. The issue with this trade is if Cleveland would want to take on another PG. I think Alston is an upgrade over Snow, and I am not sure Gibson is really the answer at PG despite his playoff showing, but they seem really high on him. Plus they have Jones, Brown, and Wesley who really add a lot of depth at guard.

I am just wondering what you guys have heard and if anything like these are even possible. I would like to see they re-sign Hayes and add another guy. I would really like to see them do the Milicic trade, re-sign Hayes, and sign Powe. Not sure if they have enough money, but Yao, Milicic, Hayes, Diogu, and Reed inside is not a bad lineup and is pretty young.

I have not looked at these ideas in detail, but good thoughts. The Rockets really need someone who can play 16-24 minutes at PF and 8 - 16 minutes at C behind Yao--especially when other teams are using a small fast lineup and *** simply cannot keep up. They should bring defense & rebounding. Scoring would be a definite plus, but mostly, they just need someone 6'9" or taller to hold their own while the big guns do their things.
kangaroostew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
CAYO
Serious playground baller

CAYO has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh

I LIKE MILICIC,HASLEM AND GOODEN NOT THE OTHERS (LEON POWE & IKE DIOGU) WHAT ABOUT A TRADE WITH THE NUGGETS ALSTON HEAD AND WELLS FOR CAMBY THE NUGGETS NEED A POINT GUARD AND BENCH PLAYERS, I ALSO LIKE CHRIS WEBBER I KNOW HE IS OLD BUT HE IS BETTER THEN HAYES .
CAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
Q.E.C
нυєy

Q.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation hereQ.E.C has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAYO
I LIKE MILICIC,HASLEM AND GOODEN NOT THE OTHERS (LEON POWE & IKE DIOGU) WHAT ABOUT A TRADE WITH THE NUGGETS ALSTON HEAD AND WELLS FOR CAMBY THE NUGGETS NEED A POINT GUARD AND BENCH PLAYERS, I ALSO LIKE CHRIS WEBBER I KNOW HE IS OLD BUT HE IS BETTER THEN HAYES .

alston wells and head is way too much for camby. he's getting close to retiring anyways. maybe just bonzi and someone else, but i want to keep bonzi.
Q.E.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
kangaroostew
Can barely lace up my sneakers

kangaroostew has an OK reputation so far

Remember, the idea is to improve the entire rotation while filling all necessary minutes. The Denver idea sounds interesting because both sides get a lot, but what does that do to the SF/SG rotation for the Rockets?

With Alston and James slated to split PG minutes with cameo appearances from Brooks,
TMac should get 36 SG/SF minutes while Battier logs 32-36 at SF and Bonzi cleans up the other 24-28 minutes (assuming his highness deems it appropriate to lower himself to play). Head or Snyder are available to fill in for injuries, back-to-backs, and minutes when someone is cold. If Battier, Bonzi, and Snyder were all traded, there would not be enough talent to fulfill all the minutes required. In fact, if Battier (the Adam Everett of the NBA) goes, it makes TMAC the SF starter and really weakens the SG position as well.
Still, the Rockets are without a real starting PF and a quick backup C.
YAO is solid for 32 minutes, but his efficiency and injury potential zooms up as his minutes rise. Before you squawk about only 32, look at Shaq and most other big centers, that is all they play. Mutombo is not really a 16 minute man and does not fit at all against small lineups so, a PF/C is important. Hayes has proved he can function at PF in the regular season, but is very small for the job. Landry, Novak, and Reed all have good and bad points, but none of the 4 is the answer as an inside PF who can fill 16 minutes at PF and 16 minutes at C when Yao sits.
Trade material: First of all, cap freers like VSpan and Sura who are not players and JLIII if anyone wants him. Then, the meat to go with the money: Snyder, Head, or Alston (if you think Head can play the point with James), and one of Reed, Novak, Hayes, or Landry if the other side needs a replacement big man on the bench. VSpan and Sura's contracts give the ability to reach a higher contract price for someone another team wants to unload for this season, but that higher contract will probably linger after they are gone.
On Denver, can they really afford to trade Camby with KMart less than 100%. I know they tie up $20 million very inefficiently, having $12MM in KMart with noone to play the bulk of the C minutes does not look like a good idea to me. Trades sure look better than free agency for the Rockets, but deals do not look easy. The GM will look really bad if he can't get someone at PF after the way he drafted. Let's see what really happens.
kangaroostew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #7
mateo31
Go ahead, make my day.

mateo31 has an OK reputation so far

I like that Raefer Alston for Udonis Haslem trade. That might leave Miami a little thin in the front court if they did that trade. Overall it is solid for both teams. Then again this is just all speculation. Haslem and Yao would be good together. Haslem has the ability to consistently knock down the mid range jumper. I honestly am very excited to have Bonzi Wells back. I do not know a whole lot about his ordeal last season. But based on the knowledge I know he got along with all his teammates fairly well and worked hard in practice, its just him and Van Gundy just didn't mesh. I felt he could have been the decider in that first round series against Utah. When he played with Sacramento he had a huge first round series against San Antonio. If he could have come anywheres close to that first round performance with the Rockets, they might have been in the 2nd round. That is just my two cents.
mateo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #8
CAYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.E.C
alston wells and head is way too much for camby. he's getting close to retiring anyways. maybe just bonzi and someone else, but i want to keep bonzi.

ITS NOT WAY TO MUCH IT LOOKS LIKE ALOT BUT IS NOT I THINK IS WAY TO LITTLE .CAMBY IS GOOD AND HE IS NOT CLOSE TO RETIRING HE IS ALL WE NEED A TALL GUY 6-11 THAT CAN PLAY AT THE 4 & 5 was voted the NBA's Defensive Player of the Year FINISHED 1ST IN BLOCKS AND FIFTH IN REBOUNDS CAN SHOOT FROM OUTSIDE THE ONLY PROBLEM WITH CAMBY IS THAT HE GETS INJURED ALOT.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
CAYO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroostew
Remember, the idea is to improve the entire rotation while filling all necessary minutes. The Denver idea sounds interesting because both sides get a lot, but what does that do to the SF/SG rotation for the Rockets?

With Alston and James slated to split PG minutes with cameo appearances from Brooks,
TMac should get 36 SG/SF minutes while Battier logs 32-36 at SF and Bonzi cleans up the other 24-28 minutes (assuming his highness deems it appropriate to lower himself to play). Head or Snyder are available to fill in for injuries, back-to-backs, and minutes when someone is cold. If Battier, Bonzi, and Snyder were all traded, there would not be enough talent to fulfill all the minutes required. In fact, if Battier (the Adam Everett of the NBA) goes, it makes TMAC the SF starter and really weakens the SG position as well.
Still, the Rockets are without a real starting PF and a quick backup C.
YAO is solid for 32 minutes, but his efficiency and injury potential zooms up as his minutes rise. Before you squawk about only 32, look at Shaq and most other big centers, that is all they play. Mutombo is not really a 16 minute man and does not fit at all against small lineups so, a PF/C is important. Hayes has proved he can function at PF in the regular season, but is very small for the job. Landry, Novak, and Reed all have good and bad points, but none of the 4 is the answer as an inside PF who can fill 16 minutes at PF and 16 minutes at C when Yao sits.
Trade material: First of all, cap freers like VSpan and Sura who are not players and JLIII if anyone wants him. Then, the meat to go with the money: Snyder, Head, or Alston (if you think Head can play the point with James), and one of Reed, Novak, Hayes, or Landry if the other side needs a replacement big man on the bench. VSpan and Sura's contracts give the ability to reach a higher contract price for someone another team wants to unload for this season, but that higher contract will probably linger after they are gone.
On Denver, can they really afford to trade Camby with KMart less than 100%. I know they tie up $20 million very inefficiently, having $12MM in KMart with noone to play the bulk of the C minutes does not look like a good idea to me. Trades sure look better than free agency for the Rockets, but deals do not look easy. The GM will look really bad if he can't get someone at PF after the way he drafted. Let's see what really happens.

YOU ARE RIGHT The GM will look really bad if he can't get someone at PF BUT NOT CUZ THE WAY HE DRAFTED IF YOU LOOK AT THE DRAFT THE ONLY PFS LEFT SUCK MCROBERTS DAVIS FAZEKAS NOT SURE ABOUT THE GUY FROM BRAZIL SPLITTER .what does that do to the SF/SG rotation for the Rockets? I THINK ITS EASIER TO FIND A 2 OR A 3 THEN A 4 .Denver, can they really afford to trade Camby with KMart less than 100% NENES CONTRACT ITS WAY TO MUCH FOR A BENCH PLAYER.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:03 AM   #10
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

Well that Scola trade came out of nowhere. Great move though. I think it is a lot like the Diogu/Harrison trade I thought about. They get a possible starter quality PF, and a decent potential backup C. They just had to give up a lot less.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: