Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far
Default How to run the 400m?

I got a school athletics meet tommorow, i run the 200 but i'm going for the 400 tommorow.

Has anyone got any tips on running the 400?

Pace ect.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: How to run the 400m?

if you run the 200, you'll already have a better idea of how 400 is like than everyone else here.

But for me, long distances:

I'm a bit lazy.. so in the beginning it depends. I always pace myself after others in the beginning.. I'll see who the fastest person is.. then run at the same speed with him. Or maybe ahead of him a bit, if you are better than him.
That purpose is to: 1) never let your opponent run in front of you 2)saving your energy for later, giving you a 'card up your sleeve'.

Then around the middle, you can start running at 85% , and at the last quarter, sprint.
Works for me, but everybody have their own style and pace. You should have your own by now.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
ilovetoplayball
I airball my layups

ilovetoplayball has an OK reputation so far

no no i know i run the 200 the 100 the 400 and i throw discus for the school team u need to run 90% speed the whole time until u get to the last straight a way and kick it up a notch and all out sprint from there it allways works
ilovetoplayball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far

well of course, if you can afford to run 90% throughout the whole race, then why not?
In fact if you are so damn good you should sprint 100% through the whole race

Like i said, it all depends on your conditioning, how much of your energy you can spend for the 1st half of the race, and how much energy you need to finish the race.
if you are well-conditioned, go ahead and give more effort from the start.

I myself always had trouble with calculating how much energy I needed to sprint the last part of the race.. sometimes I'd save too much energy, and still have legs to run around after I finish. Other times, my legs are already gone and I can only run at 75% to the finish line.
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Phar
Banned

Phar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPhar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

60 seconds of hell

Is it a rubber or hard track??

Anyway,
Stay behind the "leader" (that always worked for me, I think to set the pace.) to avoid wasting too much energy. Make sure you don't breathe too hard. Try to sorta Start out quick, and then stay back....
Um, Don't look back! It messes up speed, breathing, ect. (You can if you're on the strech and you can't hear anyone behind you ;P )

But, Everyone's different..
I mainly ran the 800m, so I dunno :P
Phar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

RecSpecs110 is considered somewhat coolRecSpecs110 is considered somewhat cool

I absolutely HATE the 400m. I'm long distance, and I'm more of a cross country runner than a tracker (for lack of a better term).

But I have run it a few times, and I can only say this: Don't keep a steady pace. If you so, you'll finish last. And you can't sprint it either. For the first 100m, go about 85%. For the second 100m, slow down to 80%. For the third 100m, speed it up to 90%. And obviously for the last 100m, go all out.

You can't stay at one speed for too long, hence, you can't keep a steady pace. But at the same time, you can't over pace, or you'll die by the third 100m. That's why I hate this event so much.

Make sure you keep long strides though. Running faster doesn't necessarily mean taking more strides. It just means putting more force behind them.

And since this is a race against others, you have to use your opponents to your advantage. Pass your opponents on the straightaways, but not on the turns. Keep up with them on the turns.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:10 PM   #7
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far

RecSpecs110 knows what he's talking about with the last paragraph.

I ran the 100 and 200 (i was better at the 200, maybe cause of less competition there lol) but I hated the 400 because I couldn't just sprint it out. You never want to be in front unless your going around a corner (you'll even out with other people) or in the last 100 meters. Once you round that last corner, give your everything into it. I think it was Clinton Portis that said the 400 is the toughest athletic event that he ever did. That's coming from a running back. And it's because on that last 100 you just want to give up and puke on the side because you've been sprinting so much.
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:46 PM   #8
KINGofTHEcourt
Banned

KINGofTHEcourt has an OK reputation so far

400m is my thing. 51.2s. Just go all out. Saving everything for the end doesn't matter, because in the end you're traveling the same amount of distance. Just give it all you've got. My favorite race by far.
KINGofTHEcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:51 PM   #9
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

i used to run the 300m intermediate hurdles and also the 1600m relay, so i know this distance pretty well. for the 300m, i used to just blast out at like 95% for the first 230 meters or so, and then give everything i had left after that. for the 400m, i was more conservative. probably around 90% for the first 90m, then coast on the straight away, and then full power again on the turn until the last stretch. that's when everybody else gets tired and you want to make them work. but it really depends on your conditioning. what's your time like in the 200m? in the 200m, i just go all out the entire way.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:12 AM   #10
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

20 Dimes A Game has an OK reputation so far

my 200m PB time is 23.7
my 100 time PB is 12.4
My 80 m time PB is 10.4
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #11
RecSpecs110
Prokhorov = Badass

RecSpecs110 is considered somewhat coolRecSpecs110 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGofTHEcourt
400m is my thing. 51.2s. Just go all out. Saving everything for the end doesn't matter, because in the end you're traveling the same amount of distance. Just give it all you've got. My favorite race by far.

You probably have a much better stamina than most people, because not many runners can sprint a 400m.

In fact, I bet if you tried a more thought out method, you could cut down your time.
RecSpecs110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #12
WhiteMosɘs
Free Myanmar

WhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation hereWhiteMosɘs has an incredible reputation here

I was pretty good at the 200 and 400 but I absolutely hate track. Amyways, run with the lead group till the end and put on the burners!
WhiteMosɘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:38 PM   #13
krazy19
Serious playground baller

krazy19 has an OK reputation so far

Since you run the 200, you probably do better going anaerobic. Try sprinting it full out.
krazy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 PM   #14
KINGofTHEcourt
Banned

KINGofTHEcourt has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecSpecs110
You probably have a much better stamina than most people, because not many runners can sprint a 400m.

In fact, I bet if you tried a more thought out method, you could cut down your time.
Not really, method probably wouldn't help. Lets say I go the first 200m at 90% and get there in 27-28s, when I might have been able to reach it in 26-27. I lose 2 seconds, but there is still 200m to go no matter what. If I run it all 100%, i'm moving as fast as possible, for the entire 400m. Its all about moving from point A to point B as fast as you can, it doesn't help to divide speed up, unless you can't sprint 100%.
KINGofTHEcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #15
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGofTHEcourt
Not really, method probably wouldn't help. Lets say I go the first 200m at 90% and get there in 27-28s, when I might have been able to reach it in 26-27. I lose 2 seconds, but there is still 200m to go no matter what. If I run it all 100%, i'm moving as fast as possible, for the entire 400m. Its all about moving from point A to point B as fast as you can, it doesn't help to divide speed up, unless you can't sprint 100%.
well then your either a slow sprinter or you're actually going slower and slower...

because you said 51.2 right? That means that you sprint at a speed of about 12.3 seconds per 100 meters. Which is respectable but not good or anything.

there's a difference of going 100% of what you're currently able to do and just going 100% straight out...because towards the end, you're probably not going straight out 100%...but if that method works for you then it works, because 51.2 is pretty good
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: