Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 07-14-2007, 01:55 AM   #1
Cavs2007Champs
Common-sense Cavs Fan

Cavs2007Champs has decent reputation
Default Blake signing, PG question..

I live in Ohio, so I am a Cavs fan, but was born in Portland, and I am a Portland, but don't watch them ever, since they never get on TV cuz they have been at the bottom of the league, but that is about 2 change, now onto my point....

Last year Portland drafted a solid prospect PG in Sergio Rodriguez, and this year they did almost the same thing with Petteri Koponnen. And now the news they just signed Steve Blake, but this whole time, Jarret Jack received most of the starter minutes at the beginning of the season.

With 2 solid PGs that shared minutes last year and 1 that was just signed who had I guess you could say his 1st breakout year, and then drafting another PG, what is Portland planning on doing.

People with more knowledge than me, please inform me.

I also noticed Portland has drafted a lot of players, and has 19 on their roster when you can only have 15, and I'm not sure what they are doing with Udoka and Outlaw.

So with 3 solid PGs under contract and Koponnen in Finland, what do you think they will be doing with 3 PGs who all deserve minutes??

I am a Cavs fan and thought of thi trade idea, since the Cavs need a PG desperately.

trading Jarret jack for David Wesley, if I'm not mistaken Wesley could be cut, with a small amount of money guaranteed, and then the Cavs would get a PG who I think would be very solid in Cleveland.

Does this trade make any sense for Portland, I would assume they need 2 cut players 2 make room, for other players 2 be signed.

what is goign on with Udoka and Outlaw?? And does McRoberts have a chance 2 make the team with only 2 spots 2 fill??

And are the Blazers going 2 add any true veterans this year??
Cavs2007Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #2
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Blake signing, PG question..

I don't get it either. The Blazers are stacked at the point. They got something cooking I bet.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

This was really weird. Blake is no spring chicken and with Roy on the court 35+ mins, it's not a total necessity to have a great PG, therefore Jack with his defense seemed a good fit, and then Rodriguez off the bench. I remember rumours that Atlanta was interested in Jack for maybe the #11 pick.....why wouldn't Portland have done that in a second if they had Blake on their radar (which they did, FA signings don't just sneak up on a team).

Outlaw is staying in Portland for sure, but they are letting Ime walk.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:37 AM   #4
Finn T-Mac
Great young streetballer

Finn T-Mac has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs2007Champs
I live in Ohio, so I am a Cavs fan, but was born in Portland, and I am a Portland, but don't watch them ever, since they never get on TV cuz they have been at the bottom of the league, but that is about 2 change, now onto my point....

Last year Portland drafted a solid prospect PG in Sergio Rodriguez, and this year they did almost the same thing with Petteri Koponnen. And now the news they just signed Steve Blake, but this whole time, Jarret Jack received most of the starter minutes at the beginning of the season.

With 2 solid PGs that shared minutes last year and 1 that was just signed who had I guess you could say his 1st breakout year, and then drafting another PG, what is Portland planning on doing.

People with more knowledge than me, please inform me.

I also noticed Portland has drafted a lot of players, and has 19 on their roster when you can only have 15, and I'm not sure what they are doing with Udoka and Outlaw.

So with 3 solid PGs under contract and Koponnen in Finland, what do you think they will be doing with 3 PGs who all deserve minutes??

I am a Cavs fan and thought of thi trade idea, since the Cavs need a PG desperately.

trading Jarret jack for David Wesley, if I'm not mistaken Wesley could be cut, with a small amount of money guaranteed, and then the Cavs would get a PG who I think would be very solid in Cleveland.

Does this trade make any sense for Portland, I would assume they need 2 cut players 2 make room, for other players 2 be signed.

what is goign on with Udoka and Outlaw?? And does McRoberts have a chance 2 make the team with only 2 spots 2 fill??

And are the Blazers going 2 add any true veterans this year??

They are sending Koponen back to Finland? Now that Blake is back..
Finn T-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Cavs2007Champs
Common-sense Cavs Fan

Cavs2007Champs has decent reputation

i didn't mean 2 say he is playing in Finland I meant "from Finland"

You have 3 solid PGs and then Koponnen, so that would be 4 if he is brought over from Finland, so that's 2 many PG's, so I'd assume maybe Jack is on his way out??
Cavs2007Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
Nygher
Banned

Nygher has an OK reputation so far

Ever heard of D-League?

Also, I'm positive that the Blazers are loading up on players right now because they might have something in the works with another team as far as a trade for a great player

Outlaw and Ime are both restricted free agents. That means if no other team offers them a contract or they don't accept another teams offer sheet then they stay in Portland until next season when they become unrestricted free agents.

Also Portland is talking about trading Jack. Why? I don't know. He's a perfect six man off the bench because he can play the two and fill it up from midrange or he can come in and run the team. He doesn't get as many assists as you want your point guard to get but he doesn't turn it over that much.

I really don't think it matters if they signed Steve Blake though because Sergio is the future point guard for this team. Whenever you get a guy who can drop 11 assits in 20 minutes then you know you have a keeper.

I think all the international players Portland got in the draft this year are going to stay in Europe or wherever else they play while Taurean Green will be on the IR a lot or in D-League along with McRoberts, all I want to see is Joel Freeland come over

Imagine having four 7 footers on your squad (Aldridge, Frye, Oden & Freeland) who can all ball.
Nygher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:22 AM   #7
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Blake is a perfect fit for 2 reasons. First, the Blazers want him because he is a great role model and lives in Portland (the Blazers want the players to make the city their off season home). Second (and more importantly), Blazers were able to sign Blake to a 2 year contract with a 3rd year option. This is perfect for the transitional stage the Blazers will be making. If the Blazers keep Jack and don't get Blake, they will have to decide next year if they should give Jack an extension. If Rodriguez didn't show the ability to take over full time in the next year, the Blazers would have the tough decision of signing Jack to a multi-year contract for more than he is possibly worth or letting him leave and handing the reigns over to Sergio too early. With Blake's contract we have the time to evaluate what to do with our future at the point. This gives the Blazers 2-3 years to determine if Sergio is the PG of the future.

And to answer the David Wesley question, that wouldn't work for the Blazers. That trade would make sense if Jack currently had a bad contract, but he doesn't. Maybe for a guy like Shannon Brown though, but I'm not sure if the Cavs would give him up for a mediocre PG.
Myth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:24 AM   #8
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
This gives the Blazers 2-3 years to determine if Sergio is the PG of the future.

That's the clue. I really think Sergio will improve a lot this season and in the next he will be a starter PG, but Portland needs to be in the safe side and that's where Blake fits.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: