Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-14-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Sheffield is at it again.......

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

What do you think of his comments? Personally, I appreciate his honesty. Wish more players would just speak their minds as opposed to being politically correct. However, he does like to play the race card a lot. I just can't picture Joe Torre being racist. Think of all the years he's been in the game and how many black players he's had as teammates/asst. coaches/managed. If he was really a racist, he would've been singled out a long time ago
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Sheffield is at it again.......

I'll give my two cents:

If what he said about Torre is indeed true, that is absolutely disgusting. I was never fond of Torre to start off with, but I would lose any respect for him if this turned out to be true.

As for Jeter defending Torre, I really don't fault him. It is his boss and as captain of the Yankees, he should step up to defend his team. I don't fault Jeter in this situation.

As for Sheffield, he has always been willing to speak his mind. He has always been honest, almost to a fault. He is a great player, he can help a team win games just like he's doing now, but sometimes he needs to learn to shut his mouth. I'm not saying he's lying, but it is a little ironic that whenever you see the words Sheffield and comments, it turns out to be racial, or something of that nature.

I was never in the Yankee clubhouse, so I can't say whether this stuff is true or not. Whatever way you look at it, this is bad for baseball. Whenever you have a player talking about racial issues, true or not, it is never for the good.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
JtotheIzzo
Cavs eh? Ok then!

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Sheffield is a clown. I like his bat, but he is a mental midget. Spewing out every thought in your brain doesn't make you someone who 'says it how it is', it makes you someone who doesn't think before speaking ie a moron.

If Torre was so falkin bad, why was Sheffield begging the Yankees to keep him this offseason? he even showed up at Steinbrenner's house uninvited to plead his case. The guy was knocking at his gate asking to be let in so he could talk his way back onto the team.

I aint buyin it Shef sorry.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I guess Kenny Lofton has backed Sheffield up in his claims that Torre treats blacks differently. The truth is, both parties miss eachother and Sheffield just feels jilted. The Yankees miss his bat in the lineup. I would fear his presence at the plate more so than ARod's.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
SJellen
I hit open 5-footers

SJellen has an OK reputation so far

sheffield likes burning bridges. i think its how he motivates himself.
race baiting is so 1990s
SJellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #6
knicks15
Local High School Star

knicks15 has decent reputation

when he was n the yankees i used to like him, he seemed like a "real" dude and a standup dude. but after his rants he just seems like a bitter, whiny guy who needs attention. its the same act all over again, ive learned to ignore him, n the fact that he comes out with it now, makes him lesser. get over it b1tch
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #7
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

Quote:
He has always been honest, almost to a fault.
He gives his version of honesty. But considering he's a crazy person, that doesn't really mean much. So Sheffield and Lofton think they were treated differently. Maybe they were, maybe they weren't, but either way, unless it was blatant, no-bones-about-it racism, that's far from a sufficient sample set to say that Torre, the Yankees organization, or anyone else in it is racist. (For that matter, Sheffield himself said he doesn't think Torre is actually a racist. But again, Sheffield is an idiot. Why people still listen to guys like him and Curt Schilling, who have been pontificating about nonsense for years, is beyond me.)
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
knicks15
Local High School Star

knicks15 has decent reputation

btw sheffields been on 7 different teams and loftons been on 11 if that tells u anything about them
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think Sheffield tends to generalize his own personal experiences. Even if everything said in that article is true, it doesn't make Torre a racist. He says he felt disrespected because Torre allegedly claimed he would have preferred Vlad Guerrero, a latino of african decent. And even if some players were treated differently, there's nothing wrong with different. If he and Lofton and Womack were called openly in the clubhouse, then perhaps Torre felt that would help them for some reason.
Sheffield has long since fed off of the notion of disrespect, maybe Torre felt calling him out in front of his teammates would drive him. I don't know, and neither does Sheffield. It has become commonplace to simply assign race as a motive for things, but it's unfair. Perhaps Gary Sheffield was treated in a certain way simply because he's Gary Sheffield, and for no other reason.

For the record, I'm a longtime fan of Sheff. He plays with an unusually intense approach for a baseball player, and I do like that he's so opinionated. That doesn't mean that think he's right.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:12 AM   #10
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicks15
btw sheffields been on 7 different teams and loftons been on 11 if that tells u anything about them

Sheffield has been in trouble since day 1, so it's not surprising with him. Lofton didn't start bouncing around until 2002, where he had been in the league over 10 years at that point. He was just simply getting old.
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: