Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 07-14-2007, 08:57 PM   #1
poindexter
I hit open layups

poindexter has an OK reputation so far
Default PF position

Okay Grizz insiders, what is your take on the PF position now that both
Alexander J. and Roberts are both leaving and Hakim might be headed to
Milwaukee for Navarro? If Hakim is traded that would leave only Pau as
PF with Swift backing up Darko at center. If we get Navarro then the
SG position would seem to be set.
poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 03:32 AM   #2
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: PF position

Trading Hakim is a bad idea unless it is for someone of equal or greater value. The guy is very talented and works very hard. It's only his second season and he's putting up 12/5, in 2-4 years I can see him putting up 15-18ppg and 8-10rpg. Memphis are crazy if they trade him, the dude will become a very good player in a few years and if traded, Memphis will regret it.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
poindexter
I hit open layups

i mean washington not milwaukee...
Old 07-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
poindexter
I hit open layups

you know kebab, i would think that trade would suck too. Haven't seen Navarro play but Hakim put up some really good numbers when Pau was out and he is only in his third year.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

Yeah I like hakim also.Where did you here this rumor of the trade being for hakim?
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by poindexter
you know kebab, i would think that trade would suck too. Haven't seen Navarro play but Hakim put up some really good numbers when Pau was out and he is only in his third year.
Yeah, I havn't seen Navarro play either but trading a young player like Hakim who shows good signs of actually becoming something decent in this league would be a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Yeah I like hakim also.Where did you here this rumor of the trade being for hakim?
I remember seeing the rumor on the main forum a few days ago. Seemed like all the Wizards fans (a whole 2 of them) seemed to glad about this trade rumor as they would be getting a guy like Warrick.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:39 PM   #7
jailer
MillionDollarException

I have seen alot and heard stuff about juan.He is good and in his prime.Problem though juan plays the one.So we would be loaded at the point guard spot.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:03 AM   #8
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

Quote:
Problem though juan plays the one.So we would be loaded at the point guard spot.

Navarro is a SG, not a PG, althouhg he can play there also.
Sure I would not let Warrick leave, but it seems the Wizards want a lot for Juan Carlos. Let's see.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
jailer
MillionDollarException

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
Navarro is a SG, not a PG, althouhg he can play there also.
Sure I would not let Warrick leave, but it seems the Wizards want a lot for Juan Carlos. Let's see.

He is not a two guard.He is barely 6'3'' and a around 200 punds.I have watched alot of his game footage.He playe the point he is like the spanish dwayne wade.He can play the two because of his skill level.But he is a point guard.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

What is Navarro's skill set like? What are his strengths and weaknesses? Would like to know about this guy.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:45 PM   #11
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
What is Navarro's skill set like? What are his strengths and weaknesses? Would like to know about this guy.
Quote:
Juan Carlos Navarro (Washington Wizards)
Winterthur F.C.Barcelona, SG, 1980, 6-4

He didn’t come up with eye-popping stats this time, and the MVP award went to his teammate Jordi Trías, but still Navarro managed to emerge as one of the top performers in this Cup, if not the best. He was again a lethal offensive weapon that sprung to action any time F.C.Barcelona needed him, for example taking the scoring load in the dangerous third quarter in the quarterfinal against Unicaja Málaga (Barcelona has a history this season of dreadful third quarters), or building a definitive lead early in the final against Real Madrid. Navarro scored 14 points in each of the three games, which reflects on his consistency in this tournament over the years.

We could see the usual repertoire, including terrific off the ball play, impressive first moves after receiving the ball to anticipate his opponent's reaction, the ability to create his own shot attacking his rival and generating separation for a shot, his creativity finishing near the basket with high-arched runners, or his impressive shooting range that goes beyond the NBA three-point line. Still Navarro didn’t abuse his abilities (his moderate stats are a good proof) and played within the flow of the offense, making good decisions, sharing the ball and creating opportunities for his teammates, particularly the big men, dishing out 8 assists in the span of the tourney.

Nevertheless, the biggest news came on the defensive end, where Juan Carlos emerged as a very reliable defender, even in very complicated match-ups against the likes of Rudy Fernández or Louis Bullock. This is a department where Navarro is steadily improving, showing better intensity and taking advantage of his quickness to stay in front of his man (he’s likely answering the demands of his very tough coach Dusko Ivanovic). Obviously he’s still a bit undersized and not the strongest guy around if we talk about dealing with very physically gifted shooting guards, but Navarro has reached a level of playing and maturity on court that should enable him to eventually succeed at the NBA level--meaning to establish himself as a useful player there.
from draftexpress (link to the full article)

Last edited by artificial : 07-16-2007 at 01:48 PM.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:02 PM   #12
jailer
MillionDollarException

From what I have watched and seen.He is a crafty passer.Quick first step.Great ball handler.Nice shot.Good awreness on both ends of the court.He is easily better then our other point guards.In time though they could get passed his level.I have been told that his english is not that good.Which is one of the reasons he did.nt come right over in 2002.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #13
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

Quote:
From what I have watched and seen.He is a crafty passer.Quick first step.Great ball handler.Nice shot.Good awreness on both ends of the court.He is easily better then our other point guards.In time though they could get passed his level.I have been told that his english is not that good.Which is one of the reasons he did.nt come right over in 2002.

Yep, that is basically Navarro. I have seen him in Spain for several years and this is a good definition.
On the bad side, he lacks a bit on defense. And some people say that he has been overprotected by the officials, so he could have some trouble to get used to the more physical play in the NBA.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:01 PM   #14
jailer
MillionDollarException

I think it would be a nice gamble on a player of his level.Escpecially if he is pau's good friend.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:32 AM   #15
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

From reading what you guys have provided, Navarro seems like a pretty good player who I wouldn't mind having on the Grizzlies. How old is he now, 27? That would mean if he signed a 3 year deal he should be in his prime, if he's not already. I woudln't mind taking a chance on the guy and if it doesn't work out, we have still got Conley and Lowry to rely on.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: