Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
John Starks
National High School Star

John Starks has an OK reputation so far
Default Not Another FIBA Thread:

it really doesn't belong in the 17 player thread -- so its getting its own. I'll put theo nus on the moderators to combine the two.

Here's my question - we all know a team of NBA superstars cannot compete in FIBA - it takes a special kind of drive and kick point, three point shooting bigs, and role players to fit into that league.

So - if you had absolute power - who, from the current league at the current state of their career andeligible to play for the USA, would be on Team USA.

I'd start with 'Sheed and Billups. Not sure where to go from there.
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Not Another FIBA Thread:

steve nash....and luol deng.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
John Starks
National High School Star

John Starks has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat

...and Paul Gasol and Marko Jaric and Kirilenko, and that new GS rookie Bellini or something ---

right?
John Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

now you're just being silly
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #5
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat

Deng is playing for Britain. Nash has said he doesn't want to play for Russia anymore.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Deng is playing for Britain. Nash has said he doesn't want to play for Russia anymore.
He played for Canada, no?

I'd send something like for my superstar dream team:

Hinrich/Kidd/Deron
Kobe/Redd/Hamilton
Anthony/Odom/Miller
Brand/McGrady/James
Camby/Boozer/Bosh

My team usa in last year's mold (role players included):

Deron/Bibby/Bell
Hamilton/Martin/Durant
Pierce/Bowen/A. Parker
Battier/Harrington/Collison
Boozer/Camby/
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Billups/Kidd/Bibby
Kobe/Wade/Redd
Melo/Ray Allen/Ron Artest
KG/Sheed/Odom
Tim Duncan/Shaq
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has decent reputation

Isn't FIBA what the Olympics use?

Didn't the USA Dream Team dominate until that motley crew was assembled in 2004?

I dunno, it just seems like most international teams have one or two guys who are really good and a bunch of scrubs. The US just gets lazy and arrogant, and they get outplayed.

I see no reason why a bunch of good US players couldn't dominate. If they actually showed up to play, that is...
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Looks decent, though I'd do the SF like this:

LeBron/'Melo (ugh!)/Bruce Bowen

Bowen would be the defensive stopper, put in to stop someone who got a hot streak going.

Is the PF position so light that Odom has to be a 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
Billups/Kidd/Bibby
Kobe/Wade/Redd
Melo/Ray Allen/Ron Artest
KG/Sheed/Odom
Tim Duncan/Shaq
Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #10
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Isn't FIBA what the Olympics use?

Didn't the USA Dream Team dominate until that motley crew was assembled in 2004?

I dunno, it just seems like most international teams have one or two guys who are really good and a bunch of scrubs. The US just gets lazy and arrogant, and they get outplayed.

I see no reason why a bunch of good US players couldn't dominate. If they actually showed up to play, that is...

You know nothing about international basketball and I hope AppleNader comes in here soon and disowns you.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #11
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

First, let me say that Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom, Amare Stoudemire, and Emeka Okafor automatically make the team due to their attitude during the Olympic games of 2004. Those guys really impressed me because unlike the rest of the team, and yes that included “Mr. Do No Wrong” Tim Duncan, they all appreciated the situation and took in everything. Like I said when it happened, it is not a coincidence that Shawn, Lamar, Amare, and Emeka were the only guys on the team not listening to headphones during the Team USA Women games.

Second, I’m not a believer in the theory that you can only win in FIBA with certain types of players. I believe any properly formed and coached team has a shot. The USA’s problem is the team isn’t well formed (too many ideas on what the team needs) and isn’t well coached (not enough time to bring the group together).

My gameplan would be to create an uptempo game through defensive pressure. I’d play mostly man to man and would pick up at either three-quarters court or full court. I’d run stunts on it by either pressuring the inbounds or trapping the first pass up the sideline. My half-court defense would be the SOS Defense designed by Bob Kloppenberg.

On High Pick and Rolls my main strategy would be to trap the ball. Secondary idea would be a switch. On Side Picks main strategy would still be to trap but the secondary idea would be to “BLUE” it and force the ball into a short corner trap.

Offensively the gameplan would be based around the transition game. My primary break would be the 2 Guard Fastbreak the Los Angeles Lakers used. From there I’d go into a secondary break that flows into 4 Out 1 In or 3 Out 2 In (Hi/Lo) looks.

To zone break I’d focus on ball and player movement. I’d stress to the team that passes that destroys a zone the quickest are:

- the low post/short corner forcing the middle defender and a baseline defender to cover one player. This pass almost always opens a basket cut for a player from the high post or a spot up jumper for a player on the opposite wing on a skip/reversal pass.

- the pass to the wing forcing the guard up top and the baseline defender to decide who will cover. This pass opens up either the short corner or high post. This pass has to be accurate or it is ineffective. It has to be in that gray area that leads to indecisiveness for the two defenders.

These 10 would be the first guys I’d call to invite to play.
PG – Kirk Hinrich, Jason Kidd
SG – Ray Allen, Joe Johnson
SF – Carmelo Anthony, Shawn Marion
PF – Lamar Odom, Elton Brand
C – Amare Stoudemire, Emeka Okafor
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #12
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
These 10 would be the first guys Id call to invite to play.
PG Kirk Hinrich, Jason Kidd
SG Ray Allen, Joe Johnson
SF Carmelo Anthony, Shawn Marion
PF Lamar Odom, Elton Brand
C Amare Stoudemire, Emeka Okafor

For 1 Marion sucks in FIBA....the post defense and defense in general sucks against some of the better teams especially against the top teams... your team could win but it is far from the best we could send...The post defense and rebounding would get abused by the best teams...Odom is good but starting him with Amare against teams like Spain Argentina and Brazil is gonna be trouble...

If Brazil plays well they beat that team and same with Argentina and Spain an it wouldnt be a fluke.... One off jumpshooting game against the three and they are done...the defense sucks....
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #13
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Clearly I don't oh so great ElPigto. Why don't you educate me?

And shouldn't AppleNader be "owning" me?

And yes, the US did dominate until 2002. Not 2004. My bad on that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...asketball_team

The International game has definitely stepped up in the past years, but I believe a team of cohesive and properly motivated players from the US could handily beat any basketball team on the planet.

The problem is, of course, getting them all the play nice together and play hard. The worldwide talent level is much higher nowadays than it was back in the Dream Team days. The US players can't just coast by now because they are NBA players. They gotta step up and work hard. Which they haven't done lately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPigto
You know nothing about international basketball and I hope AppleNader comes in here soon and disowns you.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #14
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
First, let me say that Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom, Amare Stoudemire, and Emeka Okafor automatically make the team due to their attitude during the Olympic games of 2004. Those guys really impressed me because unlike the rest of the team, and yes that included Mr. Do No Wrong Tim Duncan, they all appreciated the situation and took in everything. Like I said when it happened, it is not a coincidence that Shawn, Lamar, Amare, and Emeka were the only guys on the team not listening to headphones during the Team USA Women games.

Second, Im not a believer in the theory that you can only win in FIBA with certain types of players. I believe any properly formed and coached team has a shot. The USAs problem is the team isnt well formed (too many ideas on what the team needs) and isnt well coached (not enough time to bring the group together).

My gameplan would be to create an uptempo game through defensive pressure. Id play mostly man to man and would pick up at either three-quarters court or full court. Id run stunts on it by either pressuring the inbounds or trapping the first pass up the sideline. My half-court defense would be the SOS Defense designed by Bob Kloppenberg.

On High Pick and Rolls my main strategy would be to trap the ball. Secondary idea would be a switch. On Side Picks main strategy would still be to trap but the secondary idea would be to BLUE it and force the ball into a short corner trap.

Offensively the gameplan would be based around the transition game. My primary break would be the 2 Guard Fastbreak the Los Angeles Lakers used. From there Id go into a secondary break that flows into 4 Out 1 In or 3 Out 2 In (Hi/Lo) looks.

To zone break Id focus on ball and player movement. Id stress to the team that passes that destroys a zone the quickest are:

- the low post/short corner forcing the middle defender and a baseline defender to cover one player. This pass almost always opens a basket cut for a player from the high post or a spot up jumper for a player on the opposite wing on a skip/reversal pass.

- the pass to the wing forcing the guard up top and the baseline defender to decide who will cover. This pass opens up either the short corner or high post. This pass has to be accurate or it is ineffective. It has to be in that gray area that leads to indecisiveness for the two defenders.

These 10 would be the first guys Id call to invite to play.
PG Kirk Hinrich, Jason Kidd
SG Ray Allen, Joe Johnson
SF Carmelo Anthony, Shawn Marion
PF Lamar Odom, Elton Brand
C Amare Stoudemire, Emeka Okafor
Old 07-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #15
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
Quote first, comment afterwards.

You're Optimus Primus, not Jesus; you can't just destroy the order of things.

The reason we wanted applenader to own you is because you said that the USA could send out another "dream team" and expect to win. Obviously, you haven't been watching any international competitions in the last few years.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: