Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-19-2007, 03:41 AM   #1
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star

Run&Gun=Fun has decent reputation
Default Can Teams sign palyers to depreciating contracts?

It makes more sense, particulary if you sign a player to a long term deal in his prime which will take him to the end of his career. The player will earn the most money when he is most effective and as his player value declines so will his monetary impact on the salary cap.

Are teams not allowed to do this or do players force teams to offer contracts which appreciate in value?
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:47 AM   #2
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Can Teams sign palyers to depreciating contracts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run&Gun=Fun
It makes more sense, particulary if you sign a player to a long term deal in his prime which will take him to the end of his career. The player will earn the most money when he is most effective and as his player value declines so will his monetary impact on the salary cap.

Are teams not allowed to do this or do players force teams to offer contracts which appreciate in value?
Teams can front load contracts meaning they make the most money in the first year then it steadly decreases over time. It's what Chicago did with Ben Wallace and Kirk Hinrich.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:10 AM   #3
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star

Run&Gun=Fun has decent reputation

Thanks, yeah Hinrich earns 11 mil this year and depreciates to 8 mil in 2011.

I would definately encourage this sort of contract its like freeing up some space each year whilst not losing anyone.
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

David West is another example, I believe.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has an OK reputation so far

There's basically 3 ways a contract can be made (very, VERY simplified explanation):

Base
Front
Back

Base is they get paid X amount of dollars per year. The amount stays the same every year.

Front is where they pay more money in the early years of the contract, and pay less in the latter years of the contract.

Back is where they pay less money in the early years of the contract, and pay more in the latter years of the contract.

The Bulls are doing this currently, by signing some guys to front loaded contracts and others to back loaded contracts. That way they balance out, instead of all the contracts increasing at the end and killing the team's payroll.

I would think (and I'm no GM, though I could do better than some!), that you would sign an aging vet to a front-loaded contract, so they are getting paid the most while they are still able to contribute. Likewise, rookie contracts are back loaded contracts, because it's expected they will improve their game over the years, thus "earning" their extra pay.
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

I love frontloading all my contracts in NBA 2K7.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:52 AM   #7
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

^^Base contracts are tough to utilize because most players dont want to except the fact their gonna make 6.5 million every year for 5 years even if they do improve
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

I generally only play one season with a team, and I have zero interest in raising up some generic rookie scrub, so I usually backload my contracts and trade away my picks to get good players from the computer controlled teams.

GP
Kobe
Bruce Bowen
KG
Francisco Elson (Yeah I know, but he came cheap from the Spurs)

I also ditched all of the overpaid scrubs in lopsided trades. No more Kwame, V-Rad or Mihm! Just at the salary cap (not even close to the luxury cap) and undefeated into the second round of the playoffs thus far on Superstar.

But I digress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
I love frontloading all my contracts in NBA 2K7.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #9
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Unless they are lazy scrubs and just want to get paid, even if they phone it in.

Lots of players come to mind...

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
^^Base contracts are tough to utilize because most players dont want to except the fact their gonna make 6.5 million every year for 5 years even if they do improve
Old 07-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #10
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
I generally only play one season with a team, and I have zero interest in raising up some generic rookie scrub, so I usually backload my contracts and trade away my picks to get good players from the computer controlled teams.

GP
Kobe
Bruce Bowen
KG
Francisco Elson (Yeah I know, but he came cheap from the Spurs)

I also ditched all of the overpaid scrubs in lopsided trades. No more Kwame, V-Rad or Mihm! Just at the salary cap (not even close to the luxury cap) and undefeated into the second round of the playoffs thus far on Superstar.

But I digress...

I usually take the Kings, get rid of everyone but maybe Artest, Martin, and Garcia. I stock up on expirers and sign a bunch of front loading contracts.

So I get 1 or 2 stars from FA, draft 2 years worth of good lottery picks, and have a few original guys left over.

I'm a powerhouse within 4 years.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #11
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Doing a contract like this makes it more expensive for the team, and more valuable to the player. Generally the owners are smarter than the players, so it doesn't happen very often. Also, having a low ending amount to your contract prevents you from getting "more than the max" on your next contract, and a lot of players foolishly believe that they will be worth that much (like $16+ million a year).
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #12
GothamKnight
High school junior varsity star

GothamKnight has an OK reputation so far

Some GMs would also like backloaded contracts because you could trade the player during their last year or to and possibly get something decent back. And then you wouldn't be paying them at their highest point.
GothamKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: