Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default Should Jason Kidd get the starting point position on Team USA?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...eam.usa/1.html

SI seems to think Kidd addresses the backcourt problems that the Nets suffer.

namely, his big frame plays well to the increased physical contact in FIBA. Chris Paul and Kirk Hinrich often were bullied around and forced into unnecessary turnovers.

sure his jumpshot may be streaky, but when you have Kobe on the team, all Kidd needs to do is to continue his triple double ways and push the ball. whether he actually scores 10 points is irrelevant on this team of All Stars. his rebounding know hows should slightly nullify the lack of dominant big men on the roster.

but overall, do you think Kidd should start? or Billups? or Hinrich/Williams?
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Should Jason Kidd get the starting point position on Team USA?

I'd say Kidd because his game is so multifaceted. He plays good defense, plays the actual PG position, rebounds, and when needed can back down smaller guards in the post.

His decision making and experience takes the cake for me.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

He may, probably. However, I don't expect him to play for more than 20 minutes, considering his age and the other competitive Point guards in the team.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
He may, probably. However, I don't expect him to play for more than half of the game, considering his age and the other competitive Point guards in the team.

of course, with this loaded roster, i doubt Kidd plays more than 20 of the 40 minutes per game.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
Agent_Zero
Great college starter

Agent_Zero is considered somewhat coolAgent_Zero is considered somewhat cool

No Billups? Against international talent, you need shooting and I'm sure Billups or even Deron can shoot better than Kidd. But, more than likely, Kidd will take it, just cause of his all around game.
Agent_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:51 PM   #6
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Zero
No Billups? Against international talent, you need shooting and I'm sure Billups or even Deron can shoot better than Kidd. But, more than likely, Kidd will take it, just cause of his all around game.

True shooting is necessary in the international game, which is why they finally built a team with some good shooters on it (Tayshaun, Kobe, Mike Miller, Redd)

I'm excited about this Team USA, finally bring some b-ball pride back to the greatest country EVER.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork

namely, his big frame plays well to the increased physical contact in FIBA. Chris Paul and Kirk Hinrich often were bullied around and forced into unnecessary turnovers.

sure his jumpshot may be streaky, but when you have Kobe on the team, all Kidd needs to do is to continue his triple double ways and push the ball. whether he actually scores 10 points is irrelevant on this team of All Stars. his rebounding know hows should slightly nullify the lack of dominant big men on the roster.

It is certainly a tough question. With such a young team, Kidd's leadership and experience would be much appreciated in a starting role (to get things rolling, to say the least). However, I do not believe he should be playing significant minutes during the Qualifiers. If you remember, he started during the 03 Qualifiers, and split time 50-50 with Bibby. Handed out about an equal number of assists, but shot 36% from the field as opposed to Bibby's 60%. A point guard with a good shot does wonders in the FIBA game.

Billups and Hinrich both offer the youth, shooting, passing, and defense that is needed by Team USA. Kidd's intangibles and leadership should be reserved for those times when the opponents are on a run, or if the team is in a cold spell. Kidd certainly is the old wise man of this group, and Coach K needs to properly utilize his talent in the appropriate way.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:54 PM   #8
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Copperhead has decent reputationCopperhead has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork

Chris Paul set a new Team USA standard for assist/to. He barely had any turnovers.

Also, I think this summers teams are easier for Team USA. They should win it all this summer. I don't know who their opponents would be in the semifinals or finals but the teams leading up to that may be easier than last summers teams.
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:00 AM   #9
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA sixth man of the year

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

He should if his only competition is Paul and Hinrich. He just has too much experience to come off the bench.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 12:00 AM   #10
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

AppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputationAppleNader has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead
Chris Paul set a new Team USA standard for assist/to. He barely had any turnovers.

I love it when people who never bothered to watch any of the games automatically come to the defense of Paul and cite a single statline as their evidence...while being completely oblivious to his countless instances of poor decision making, inability to hit an outside shot, and being completely destroyed on the defensive end.

Last edited by AppleNader : 07-21-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:09 AM   #11
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNader
I love it when people who never bothered to watch any of the games automatically come to the defense of Paul and cite a single statline as their evidence...while being completely oblivious to his countless instances of poor decision making, inability to hit an outside shot, and being completely destroyed on the defensive end.

I watched every single game. All I'm saying is he couldn't have been forced into THAT MANY unneccessary turnovers as VC is suggesting. No, his shooting wasn't all that last summer but I've also watched every single game this past NBA season and it was better than last summer.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:12 AM   #12
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote:
I watched every single game. All I'm saying is he couldn't have been forced into THAT MANY unneccessary turnovers as VC is suggesting.No, his shooting wasn't all that last summer but I've also watched every single game this past NBA season and it was better than last summer.

1. That is such bull**** and you know it. If you actually had, you would agree with the writer about Chris Paul, as it was painfully obvious and clear. Lousy defense, difficulty in getting the offense going, no ability to space the floor, unnecessary turnovers, as VC explained, must I go on and on?

2. Oh really, you watched every single one of Chris Paul's NBA games? Go figure. Second of all, Chris Paul isn't even playing on Team USA this summer because of surgery.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:16 AM   #13
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Quote:
1. That is such bull**** and you know it. If you actually had, you would agree with the writer about Chris Paul, as it was painfully obvious and clear.

2. Oh really, you watched every single one of Chris Paul's NBA games? Go figure. Second of all, Chris Paul isn't even playing on Team USA this summer because of surgery.

Dude what's with you? How you gonna sit up here and tell me that it's bull*** about what I watched? Are you serious? I watched every damn Team USA game last summer. Yes, I was up at 3 and 4 in the morning watching. I watch all Hornets games. I know he isn't playing this summer because of surgery. I didn't say otherwise. I'm only trying to make a point about the turnovers. I could care less what else you say about him in the Team USA games but he did NOT have many unnecessary turnovers.

Last edited by Copperhead : 07-21-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:20 AM   #14
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Quote:
Dude what's with you? I watched every damn Team USA game last summer. Yes, I was up at 3 and 4 in the morning watching. I watch all Hornets games. I know he isn't playing this summer because of surgery. I didn't say otherwise. I'm only trying to make a point about the turnovers. I could care less what else you say about him in the Team USA games but he did NOT have many unforced turnovers.

I always love these Paul homers. So desperate to defend their point guard even when they didn't even bother to watch his FIBA games. Trying to defend his play by stating that "he could've have had that many turnovers" while simply citing a pathetic statistic to back them up. Maybe you didn't see him get murdered on his way to the basket, or how he got completely beat on the defensive end that led to f&cking open jumper after open jumper.No mention of his overall poor play, his deficiencies as a FIBA point guard, and his numerous costly mistakes that helped lead Team USA down the drain.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:24 AM   #15
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Quote:
I always love these Paul homers. So desperate to defend their point guard even when they didn't even bother to watch his FIBA games. Trying to defend his play by stating that "he could've have had that many turnovers" while simply citing a pathetic statistic to back them up. Maybe you didn't see him get murdered on his way to the basket, or how he got completely beat on the defensive end that led to f&cking open jumper after open jumper.No mention of his overall poor play, his deficiencies as a FIBA point guard, and his numerous costly mistakes that helped lead Team USA down the drain.

Ok dude. I'm glad you know what I was doing while the FIBA games were on. Were you here in my living room? You love the Paul homers? Well I love the Paul haterz that don't know what the h*ll they're talking about. You've made yourself very clear man. Did Paul have many turnovers? Like I said, I'm only making a point about the turnovers. I would be making the point if it were Kidd, Billups, Hinrich or whoever. If they didn't have that many turnovers, they didn't have that many turnovers.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: