Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Cleveland Cavaliers Forum

Cleveland Cavaliers Forum Cleveland cavaliers message board - cleveland cavaliers fan forum

Old 08-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Default WTF is Ferry doing? (Or not doing)

Ok, we're now at least a month, maybe two months into the off season, and what the hell has Ferry been doing?

I haven't heard a chirp, not even a peep about resigning Sasha since they made him their "qualifying offer".

And I haven't heard anything out of the Varejo situation in a while either. Last I heard he was holding out for some outragerous sum of money.

The more I hear about it, the more I think the Cavs should trade him if he has any value, or just let him go after 1 year. He's clearly not the answer. He has an over inflated opinion of his market value, he isn't going to get much better. His flops cost us at least one post season game last year. He has NO offensive game at all.

Aside from fanboy radio personalities like Tony Rizzo trying to say we should offer Damon Jones, Larry Hughes, and Drew Gooden for Kevin Garnett (why the f*ck would Minnesota do that?) I haven't heard any INTELLIGENT trade rumors all summer since the Kings signed Mikki Moore.

Not that I really thought the Cavs had a shot at Mike Bibby to begin with. For Drew Gooden? Come on.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Default Re: WTF is Ferry doing? (Or not doing)

I think making it to the finals gave Ferry a big head as GM and got him thinking "yeah look at me i made a good team", so now he doesn't think he has to make any real moves. The thing is i really don't even know where to look when i think about adding players. Bibby's out of the question and we don't really have anything that anyone else would want. We might just be stuck with an Eric Snow/Gibson/Jones backcourt for another season til Ferry gets humbled
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:46 AM   #3
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
I think making it to the finals gave Ferry a big head as GM and got him thinking "yeah look at me i made a good team", so now he doesn't think he has to make any real moves. The thing is i really don't even know where to look when i think about adding players. Bibby's out of the question and we don't really have anything that anyone else would want. We might just be stuck with an Eric Snow/Gibson/Jones backcourt for another season til Ferry gets humbled

The problem with the Cavs, is everyone is so sold on them needing a huge impact player, but the fact is, none of the players on our team really FIT.

Something along the lines of say Varejo, and Newble (expirer who played well in spots) for Chris Duhon I think would improve the team a heck of a lot, and not really hurt us all that much except for leaving us a bit thin on the front line.

But hey, let Gooden earn that contract, and send Marshall or S. Brown away for another PF. Marshall at least has a reputation for being a good spot up shooter. Maybe we could dump his huge contract for a PF with a big contract with one or two less years.

Or how about taking a risk on a younger guy like T. Sefalosha on the Bulls. Not sure if he's untouchable or not, but I'd throw in S. Brown and another player for him. (within reason)

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 08-02-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Legend
I hit open layups

Everything wat u guys say is true about Ferry and the players.

I think the clevend players are overrated, they have their ability and dont step up to it at the moment it is needed ( but not all of them - Bron,Boobie,Drew) eg. Marshall in game 1 of conference finals, Verajoa in game 4 of finals etc.

i think snow can still start, i dont find things are so bad for him. he dont need to carry any offensive load. Larry Hughes, well we all know his problems.

Danny Ferry is still sitting on a pedistol from after we won the east and he doesnt know how to get down (anyone got sniper). He better do something fast, i hope LeBron does wat he did last year and threaten them, like wen he was holding on to sign the extension.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

we are going to be told the following by ferry/Cavs announcers:

-they finally tasted the finals and are hungry to get back with the same group
-Hughes has been working on his jump shot and decision making
-Snow's veteran leadership will help guide Gibson
-Varajeo (if back) has worked on his offensive game all summer
-LeBron has added more elements to his game
-Z, Jones, Marshall, and the other veterans will serve as mentors for the younger players, and are refreshed after an offseason of rest

This will be the P.R. spin approach, given the disasterous off-season we've had........
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
Legend
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981

-Z, Jones, Marshall, and the other veterans will serve as mentors for the younger players, and are refreshed after an offseason of rest

This will be the P.R. spin approach, given the disasterous off-season we've had........

LOL dats true!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
jailer
MillionDollarException

Yup thats what happens.When team do well and over achieve they believe they can slack.I personally think that every year you need to add new blood to he equation.At least a few players.That way your always improving your team.Even the smallest tweak can change alot.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:36 AM   #8
Mathius

Quote:

You're probably right. I keep hearing people say that Dan Gilbert is a great owner, but I just don't get bringing Danny Ferry back to Cleveland, and I don't like Mike Brown as a head coach. And our personnel decisions have been horrible over the last several years. I just don't understand what Gilbert has done for us to get this reputation?

Mathius
Old 08-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

I do like the way that our owner has upgraded the "Q" and the overall game experience. He may have hired a questionable GM and a coach who still needs some major seasoning, but at least he has made going to a Cavaliers game a much better experience than in years past.

-awesome new scoreboard and scrolling LED boards
-the removal of the gaudy blue seats
-better in-game entertainment
-better P.A. announcer
-friendly arena staff
Old 08-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #10
Mathius

Quote:
I do like the way that our owner has upgraded the "Q" and the overall game experience. He may have hired a questionable GM and a coach who still needs some major seasoning, but at least he has made going to a Cavaliers game a much better experience than in years past.

-awesome new scoreboard and scrolling LED boards
-the removal of the gaudy blue seats
-better in-game entertainment
-better P.A. announcer
-friendly arena staff

Ok, I'll buy that, but those things directly make him money. The better his scoreboard, the more he can put advertising on it. The better the experience for the fans, the more they want to come to the arena.

None of those things are going to make us a winner.

To be honest, I liked the old powder blue, black, and orange we had during the Mike Fratello years, I just didn't like the design of those uniforms. The color scheme though I liked. The logo was badass.

Mathius
Old 08-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #11
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Ok, I'll buy that, but those things directly make him money. The better his scoreboard, the more he can put advertising on it. The better the experience for the fans, the more they want to come to the arena.

None of those things are going to make us a winner.

To be honest, I liked the old powder blue, black, and orange we had during the Mike Fratello years, I just didn't like the design of those uniforms. The color scheme though I liked. The logo was badass.

Mathius

As long as he's making money, that takes priority over the Cavs winning games. A sad, yet true statement. It's a business investment for him, and the majority of sports owners. They don't have the same emotional investment that we fans pour into our teams.......
Old 08-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #12
Mathius

Quote:
As long as he's making money, that takes priority over the Cavs winning games. A sad, yet true statement. It's a business investment for him, and the majority of sports owners. They don't have the same emotional investment that we fans pour into our teams.......

Seems like that's a short term success plan. If the team starts losing enough games, attendance drops and he makes less money.

He should be concerned with both.

Cleveland has some of the most loyal fans in the world, just look at the Browns, but still there were a hell of a lot of empty seats during the Mike Fratello years.

Mathius
Old 08-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #13
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Seems like that's a short term success plan. If the team starts losing enough games, attendance drops and he makes less money.

He should be concerned with both.

Cleveland has some of the most loyal fans in the world, just look at the Browns, but still there were a hell of a lot of empty seats during the Mike Fratello years.

Mathius

You're right. Ultimately, it does come down to wins and losses. Doesn't matter if the arena looks great and they have great promotional deals. People aren't going to show up to support losers. It's like putting perfume on a pig. At the end of the day, it's still a pig.

A mediocre season by the Cavs and I think Brown will be shown the door. I define mediocre as anything less than making it to the eastern conference finals, which given the lack of moves we've made, would be a miracle.

As far as the Browns go, Cleveland is and always will be a football town. The Cavs and Indians have to work that much harder to keep the fan interest high
Old 08-07-2007, 03:43 PM   #14
Mathius

Quote:
You're right. Ultimately, it does come down to wins and losses. Doesn't matter if the arena looks great and they have great promotional deals. People aren't going to show up to support losers. It's like putting perfume on a pig. At the end of the day, it's still a pig.

A mediocre season by the Cavs and I think Brown will be shown the door. I define mediocre as anything less than making it to the eastern conference finals, which given the lack of moves we've made, would be a miracle.

As far as the Browns go, Cleveland is and always will be a football town. The Cavs and Indians have to work that much harder to keep the fan interest high

People still have interest in baseball?

Mathius
Old 08-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #15
Legend
I hit open layups

I getting reallyyyy F***ing pissed right now cause everybody else did somthing constructive, (even the lakers) and Danny not doing **** just "negotiating." Yeh right he's afraid to lose pieces in his "good team" to make deals that counts, like Mike Bibby
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: