Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #1
Don Che
I hit open 5-footers

Don Che has an OK reputation so far
Default Balkman or Chandler

I like Balkman( i like Lee more tho). And I was the first guy that didnt want Chandler when we drafted him for multiple reasons. but...

Why are u guys so scared to trade Balkman when we also have Chandler who can take the 3 spot after Artest leaves. Everyone thinks so highly of Chandler y not trade the guy thats in front of him?

Who would u take btwn them and why?
Take into consideration where the TEAM is going not jus individual traits.
Don Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
MJ23
Banned

MJ23 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Balkman or Chandler

i would trade balkman for artest but not David Lee...
MJ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

You have to pick Balkman between the two. Balkman has proven he can play.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is a pretty well-respected posterBlue&Orange is a pretty well-respected posterBlue&Orange is a pretty well-respected posterBlue&Orange is a pretty well-respected poster

I pick Chandler, i think he's gonna be a better player then Balkman...
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Da KO King

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
I pick Chandler, i think he's gonna be a better player then Balkman...
You have nothing to base that one. You are doing nothing more than guessing.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King

Well Chandler obviously has more basketball skill than Balkman. But Balkman has that heart and hustle.

What I like most about Chandler is he has the skill but he also has the heart and hustle (not as much as Balkman, but enough).

Balkman can't shoot like Chandler, can't pass like Chandler, and just looks a little lost on the court when he's not making a big energy play.

Chandler on the other hand, always looks like he knows what he's doing (from what I've seen) and he has a high basketball IQ.

So it's just whatever your team needs more.

I would personally trade either for Artest, but not both.
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
Da KO King

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillswithaz
Well Chandler obviously has more basketball skill than Balkman. But Balkman has that heart and hustle.

What I like most about Chandler is he has the skill but he also has the heart and hustle (not as much as Balkman, but enough).

Balkman can't shoot like Chandler, can't pass like Chandler, and just looks a little lost on the court when he's not making a big energy play.

Chandler on the other hand, always looks like he knows what he's doing (from what I've seen) and he has a high basketball IQ.

So it's just whatever your team needs more.

I would personally trade either for Artest, but not both.
We'll have to agree to disagree cause I think you're nuts right now.

Balkman spent most the summer running the PG for the Knicks; and looked good doing it. Didn't force passes and kept control of tempo.

From what I saw from Chandler he can only shoot from static positions and has sloppy handle. Worst of all his "motor" is questionable to me right now. There were long stretches of games where Chandler was a total non-factor.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

BrooklynZoo has decent reputationBrooklynZoo has decent reputation

u guys basing way too much on what chandler did in summer league? what did he do avg like 10 pts? meanwhile guys like redick puttin up 30 pts and houston rockets rookie aaron brooks avged 23ppg. if u guys were magic or rockets fans i couldnt imagine what ud be writing about them
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #9
mr. chew
I hit open layups

mr. chew has an OK reputation so far

i agree, lets see what they do against NBA level talent. not summer league talent. balkman has a year under his belt, so he obviously gets the advantage. be patient, this will be an exciting year for our young guys.
mr. chew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #10
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick

Blue&Orange is a pretty well-respected posterBlue&Orange is a pretty well-respected posterBlue&Orange is a pretty well-respected posterBlue&Orange is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
I'm not guessing, but even if i was, it still would be better then your reasoning, that would pick Balkman over Oden because Balkman as proven he can play.
Quote:
Balkman spent most the summer running the PG for the Knicks; and looked good doing it. Didn't force passes and kept control of tempo.

From what I saw from Chandler he can only shoot from static positions and has sloppy handle. Worst of all his "motor" is questionable to me right now. There were long stretches of games where Chandler was a total non-factor.
I don't know what summer league you've seen, but it wasn't the same that i saw. Balkman showed he can hustle, Chandler showed he can play, it's diferent. Go look to the stats, everything that Chandler didn't do best then Balkman he was close enough, and Chandler is a rookie not a one year pro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynZoo
u guys basing way too much on what chandler did in summer league? what did he do avg like 10 pts? meanwhile guys like redick puttin up 30 pts and houston rockets rookie aaron brooks avged 23ppg. if u guys were magic or rockets fans i couldnt imagine what ud be writing about them
The Knicks team wasn't a one man team, that's why ended with a 5-0 record.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #11
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

They kinda were. It was Nate Robinson and the Knickerbocker show.

Summer should be limited to only rookies and players who were either undrafted or trying to make the NBA.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:54 AM   #12
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I agree 100% with Skillz. Chandler has way more basketball skills than Balkman. The one thing Balkman supersedes Chandler in is his hard work but it isn't as if Chandler plays lazy...the one question mark lurking over his head in the first place. Furthermore, I hate that people are so ecstatic over Balkman running the point in Summer League.#1 it's Summer League.#2 under no circumatances should he ever be running the point in a real NBA game STILL. and most importantly #3 I personally think that him running pg isn't a testament to his great versatility but a scapegoat to cover up the fact that Nate Robinson in his 3rd year, even playing against rookies and guys who won't make NBA teams, cannot run a team efficiently.

In short, I like Balkman a lot but everything I see in him I see in David Lee and David Lee is clearly better. Chandler however brings something new to the table. A 3 man who can score. Not only do I like him better than Balkman, I like him better than Jeffries and I woudlnt be surprised if he stole his playing time this year.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #13
Don Che
I hit open 5-footers

Don Che has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
I agree 100% with Skillz. Chandler has way more basketball skills than Balkman. The one thing Balkman supersedes Chandler in is his hard work but it isn't as if Chandler plays lazy...the one question mark lurking over his head in the first place. Furthermore, I hate that people are so ecstatic over Balkman running the point in Summer League.#1 it's Summer League.#2 under no circumatances should he ever be running the point in a real NBA game STILL. and most importantly #3 I personally think that him running pg isn't a testament to his great versatility but a scapegoat to cover up the fact that Nate Robinson in his 3rd year, even playing against rookies and guys who won't make NBA teams, cannot run a team efficiently.

In short, I like Balkman a lot but everything I see in him I see in David Lee and David Lee is clearly better. Chandler however brings something new to the table. A 3 man who can score. Not only do I like him better than Balkman, I like him better than Jeffries and I woudlnt be surprised if he stole his playing time this year.

He sure as hell has the the talent. But I dunno if I would take him over balkman. The 2 main peices of this team are 25 and 26 so its still built for the future and if Balkman can develop a corner 3(like Bruce Bowen) hes perfect for us. Hes the perfect defender for us. Even Balkman last season in summer league u knew he would take charges out run the opposition and sacrifice anything for a play, and we knew that in those 5 games in the summer.

Chandler looks like he has the 4 out of 5 tools to be a NBA basketball player. But that was never in question its been his desire and that isn't a quality to have to be a New York Knick, we WERE built by hard workers and not necesserily the most talented but u KNEW it was gonna be a hard game going in and out. And Balkman has those qualities.

You can teach a Jump Shot in time, You dont teach hustle and heart either u have it or u don't.
Don Che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #14
Da KO King

I hope for Chandler andthe Knicks sake that I'm proven wrong cause what I seen in Summer League left me thinking he won't get any minutes until the very end of this season.

Chandler can't go left, can't shoot when moving, doesn't have consistent three-point range, isn't an effective passer unless the ball is static, and worst of all "floats" through the game. There were long stretches where I forgot Chandler was on the floor.

Now don't get me wrong, Chandler is clearly a NBA player. He's just not yet better than Balkman.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #15
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

otmtheshank has an OK reputation so far

From what I've seen of both, I'd rather have Balkman. You already know the minimum of what you're going to get from Balkman, while Chandler is still a question mark. I haven't watched any summer league games so I don't know how he fared against NBA caliber talent, but I did watch plenty of times during his 2 years at DePaul.

Chandler's a talented player, he was a great rebounder/shotblocker in college due to his athleticism. However, he was one lazy player, and couldn't defend anybody half as well as Balkman can. Both players have bad shot selection, but Chandler is the better shooter. Chandler has a higher ceiling than Balkman, but also has a much more real downside. I'd rather be safe and take Balkman, or just wait a year to see how Chandler does in the pros.
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: