Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-15-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation
Default What Rookies Are You Worried About?

Obviously all rookies have to make an adjustment to playing NBA basketball. However, some don't look to have the ability physically or mentally to make the adjustment.

Who are the guys that give you concerns over their ability to make the transition?

For me it is:

Brandan Wright - doesn't have much of a skillset at the moment and Don Nelson can make Larry Brown look like a mother hen when it comes to his comments about rookies.

Yi Jianlian - I like this guy. Think he could be a serious player. My concern is the treatment he'll get from fans and other players. Never in NBA history has a fight over destination had this much venom thrown towards the player. People complained about Steve Francis but a large number also said, "Well it is Vancouver". People complained about Kobe Bryant but a lot of folks still said "Why deny the man his dream?". Well Yi does have some fans backing his side of the argument they are far out-numbered but those that are not.

Thaddeus Young - the guy will be a SF in the NBA but doesn't have a perimeter skill-set at the moment. Nothing really abnormal about that but he plays in Philly. The "City of Brotherly Love" isn't especially loving towards athletes who it feels underperform.

Daequan Cook - didn't show the best attitude or shot selection at Ohio State. Also looks like a guy who resents tough love. How will Pat Riley respond when Cook breaks off a play that was supposed to go to Shaq in the post?

Sean Williams - skill-set isn't NBA ready but the biggest concern is Williams' personal life. When you get kicked out of school for the repeated smoking and selling of weed even though you are a guaranteed first round pick (with some projections as high as top 10) there is reason to be concerned.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: What Rookies Are You Worried About?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Obviously all rookies have to make an adjustment to playing NBA basketball. However, some don't look to have the ability physically or mentally to make the adjustment.

Who are the guys that give you concerns over their ability to make the transition?

For me it is:

Brandan Wright - doesn't have much of a skillset at the moment and Don Nelson can make Larry Brown look like a mother hen when it comes to his comments about rookies.

Yi Jianlian - I like this guy. Think he could be a serious player. My concern is the treatment he'll get from fans and other players. Never in NBA history has a fight over destination had this much venom thrown towards the player. People complained about Steve Francis but a large number also said, "Well it is Vancouver". People complained about Kobe Bryant but a lot of folks still said "Why deny the man his dream?". Well Yi does have some fans backing his side of the argument they are far out-numbered but those that are not.

Thaddeus Young - the guy will be a SF in the NBA but doesn't have a perimeter skill-set at the moment. Nothing really abnormal about that but he plays in Philly. The "City of Brotherly Love" isn't especially loving towards athletes who it feels underperform.

Daequan Cook - didn't show the best attitude or shot selection at Ohio State. Also looks like a guy who resents tough love. How will Pat Riley respond when Cook breaks off a play that was supposed to go to Shaq in the post?

Sean Williams - skill-set isn't NBA ready but the biggest concern is Williams' personal life. When you get kicked out of school for the repeated smoking and selling of weed even though you are a guaranteed first round pick (with some projections as high as top 10) there is reason to be concerned.

if you can say "wellt its vancouver" you can sure as hell say "well its milwaukee". Vacouver is small, but its beautiful. its safe, its a hell of a city. id live there before milwaukee and its in a different freaking country.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
PK3434
Good Golly!

PK3434 has an OK reputation so far

Cook...he needs at least 2 more years in college. He left because Oden and Conley left.
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #4
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

I agree with Sean Williams. I just don't like the guy and he's on my team.

As for other rookies, I'm probably most concerned about Al Thornton. I just don't think he's as good as everyone thinks he is. If he's not the focus of the offense, he's not as effective. Forgive me, but Brand getting hurt is going to be a boost for him because it means he gets to shoulder more offensive loads, but long run, he's nothing more than offense off the bench... which is very respectable, but I think a lot of Clipper fans are expecting more out a lottery pick.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
DaBull
I brick open layups

DaBull has an OK reputation so far

Brandan Wright. How someone of his non existent skillset got drafted lottery I will never know. The guy sat behind Tyler Hansborough all season, I think he will be a washout in 2-3 years.
DaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
fatboy11

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBull
Brandan Wright. How someone of his non existent skillset got drafted lottery I will never know. The guy sat behind Tyler Hansborough all season, I think he will be a washout in 2-3 years.
I believe he started.

EDIT: Brandan Wright started all 37 games he played for UNC last season.

Last edited by fatboy11 : 08-15-2007 at 11:36 AM.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
DaBull
I brick open layups

DaBull has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
I believe he started.

EDIT: Brandan Wright started all 37 games he played for UNC last season.
i didnt say he didnt start i said he sat behind tyler, as in, tyler carried him all season long
DaBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #8
fatboy11

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBull
i didnt say he didnt start i said he sat behind tyler, as in, tyler carried him all season long
Uh, no.

Sat behind = Came in for off the bench. You know what you meant.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #9
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has an OK reputation so far

They booed the selection of Donovan McNabb over Ricky Williams.

We all know how that turned out. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King

For me it is:

Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

^^Actually nobody cared until Ricky lost his damn mind,now they joke about it

Brandan Wright was good for a Freshman at the start of the season,but when it got into crunchtime Hansbrough saved that team
Wright should've came back for a Sophmore season,gained weight and been a Top 5 Pick next season

I am really worried about Mike Conley,does he have what it takes to be an All-Star PG or was Oden the major part of his success

and Thaddeus Young I have nothing more I can say about him right now,he's a serious reach
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #11
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

LBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected poster

Al Horford = Biggest Bust in this years draft.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:21 PM   #12
Interminator
Banned

Interminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation hereInterminator has a near all-star reputation here

^^Jason Smith and Wilson Chandler=Biggest Busts of this year's draft
Old 08-15-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

LBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected posterLBJ 4 MVP is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
^^Jason Smith and Wilson Chandler=Biggest Busts of this year's draft

yeah Jason Smith can be added to the list of busts this year, but I think Wilson Chandler will have an ok year.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:28 PM   #14
fatboy11

How can someone drafted #23 overall (Wilson Chandler) be a bust?

Was he ever highly rated? No, he was not.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #15
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ 4 MVP
yeah Jason Smith can be added to the list of busts this year, but I think Wilson Chandler will have an ok year.
If the Knicks didn't draft Wilson Chandler 23 he'd dropped to the 40-50 range

I saw nothing impressive about his game in college at best I thought he'd be a D-Leaguer,at least with Balkman you could see he was very talented on defense and went hard for boards
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: