Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Milwaukee Bucks Forum

Milwaukee Bucks Forum Milwaukee Bucks forum - Milwaukee Bucks message board

Old 08-31-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
Ian
Ahh, buck it.

Ian has decent reputation
Default Yi signs with Milwaukee

As I'm sure we've realized by now, the infamous Yi Jianlian has finally (and unsuspectingly) signed with the Milwaukee Bucks. A multi-year contract at that.

You can see the Press release here.

What is everyones' opinion on this situation? I was completely taken by surprise when I heard this news. I had forgotten all about the guy. I wasn't even considering the possibility of him being on the 07-08 roster. And now...he's here. I'm still indifferent about the whole deal. Yes, he's a talented, young player but I've lost a lot of trust in him.

Personally, I'd like a written apology for his little nonsensical hold out...but hey, that's just me.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Yi signs with Milwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
A multi-year contract at that.
There is only one contract that a rookie can sign. A rookie's salary and years cannot be negotiated (technically the salary can range from 80-120% of scale, but literally everybody gets the full 120%).
Quote:
Personally, I'd like a written apology for his little nonsensical hold out...but hey, that's just me.
Don't hold your breath. From what I can tell, the problem went down like this...

Mr Chen, who owns the Tigers and owned Yi's rights, interviewed American agents to represent Yi, and picked the one who was able to promise him the most money in contract buyout and endorsements. Since contract buyouts must be a flat 500k, the promise of endorsements is all the agents could offer.

Fegan promised to land Yi in a big market, and was therefore hired as the agent. Again, this is a deal between Fegan and Chen. Yi certainly didn't mind going to a big market, so he wasn't objecting to the whole thing, but he wasn't the one driving it all. Eventually it became clear to all parties involved that Fegan had promised something he couldn't deliver. Chen doesn't seem like a bad guy - he just wanted to get as much as possible in return for losing his star player - and he fell for Fegan's empty promises.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: