Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2007, 03:03 AM   #1
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan
 
hawkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,894
hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Predict this year's MVP

Will it be TD, Dirk, Nash, Shaq?
Will it be Kobe, Pierce, Arenas?
Wil it be LeBron, Carmelo, Bosh or Wade?
Or someone else?

Your prediction for MVP this year.

Last edited by hawkfan : 09-09-2007 at 07:01 AM.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:08 AM   #2
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!
 
brantonli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 13433 km from Land of 2 Rings
Posts: 6,587
brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Predict this year's MVP

Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady as co-MVPs!
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:14 AM   #3
WeJustNeedaRing
I brick open layups
 
WeJustNeedaRing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 117
WeJustNeedaRing has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Predict this year's MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady as co-MVPs!


your just a rocket fan thats stuck up and there the both best players in the league.
WeJustNeedaRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:32 AM   #4
Big One
Local High School Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,368
Big One has decent reputation
Default Re: Predict this year's MVP

i hate to say this but based on regular season's even from the past, i think it will be a repeat for Disco Dirk, not that i want that to happen, if it were up to me i'd personally want Carmello winning it but we all know thats not happening so i'll just go with Dirk.
Big One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:39 AM   #5
90sDynasty
Decent playground baller
 
90sDynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 349
90sDynasty has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Predict this year's MVP

That's easy its going to be the best player*

















*on the best team.
90sDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:40 AM   #6
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!
 
Cannonball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: pa...
Posts: 8,889
Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Predict this year's MVP

1.Bron Bron
2.Wade
3.Kobe
4.Steve
5.Dirk
6.AI
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:41 AM   #7
hotsizzle
Superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: WINNING!
Posts: 9,845
hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Predict this year's MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big One
i hate to say this but based on regular season's even from the past, i think it will be a repeat for Disco Dirk, not that i want that to happen, if it were up to me i'd personally want Carmello winning it but we all know thats not happening so i'll just go with Dirk.

I'd stop watching basketball if Dirk wins it again...seriously, no chance he get s it. It's already a disgrace as it is.

Last edited by hotsizzle : 09-09-2007 at 03:49 AM.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:41 AM   #8
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LeBronville
Posts: 44,045
Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Predict this year's MVP

The People's Champ Lebron James
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:42 AM   #9
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!
 
brantonli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 13433 km from Land of 2 Rings
Posts: 6,587
brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Predict this year's MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeJustNeedaRing
your just a rocket fan thats stuck up and there the both best players in the league.

No, it's called being unrealistically optimistic.

For the real mvp, I'll say it will probably go to James ONLY if his Cavs light up the East and get first seed, otherwise it will be another tossup between some WC powerhouse.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:43 AM   #10
Selenium
Good High School Starter
 
Selenium's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 895
Selenium is considered somewhat coolSelenium is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Predict this year's MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
I'd stop watching basketball if Dirk wins it again...

Agreed. Some voters even admitted to regretting voting for Dirk after his Playoff choke-job, so I doubt too many voters will want to take that risk again.

I'm going to guess Tim Duncan.

Edit - Oops, I thought you said something along the lines of "no way Dirk wins it again".
Selenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:44 AM   #11
Aussie Dunker
Local High School Star
 
Aussie Dunker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,412
Aussie Dunker has decent reputationAussie Dunker has decent reputation
Default Re: Predict this year's MVP

Id say one of these 5 players...

Dirk / Yao / Lebron / Kobe / Wade

Id say whoever has a better team record out of Dirk or Yao will win it...
Aussie Dunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:22 AM   #12
Ryoga Hibiki
Kids at the park dunk on me
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern Italy
Posts: 193
Ryoga Hibiki has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Predict this year's MVP

Garnett or Dirk, maybe Nash.
Unless the Cavs make a solid step forward and get over 55 wins it's not LeBron.
For sure not Duncan.
Ryoga Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:24 AM   #13
D-Fence
Great young streetballer
 
D-Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 503
D-Fence has decent reputation
Default Re: Predict this year's MVP

1. LeBron James. Although the Cavs were swept in the Finals and had one of the easiest trips to the Conference Finals in recent history, the fact that he appeared in the Finals will probably stick in the back of voters' minds. That might have come into play with Nowitzki appearing in the Finals in 2006 and then winning the MVP in 2007. And, many have wanted to crown him for a while now. If the Cavs improve from 50 wins, and James improves, at least statistically, from last season (averaging 30 PPG would help), he’ll be the favorite.

2. Steve Nash. I hope they're tired of voting for Nash, but I doubt it. If the 2005 and 2006 MVPs and a close 2nd place finish last season are any indication, I'm sure he'll be right up there again. The Suns will likely win a lot of games again and lose to the Spurs in the playoffs, too.

3. Kevin Garnett. If the Celtics finish around the top in the East, I think he'll have a good chance. It's difficult to say how it'll turn out, though. He might have a statistical drop off, and the MVP voters care a lot about stats. Teammates Paul Pierce and Ray Allen might steal some votes from him, too.

4. Kobe Bryant. Assuming the Lakers make the playoffs, he'll probably finish around 3rd to 5th as usual since 2002. With the off-season distractions and trade requests and no significant improvement on the team, I don't see his chances at the MVP improving.

5. Dirk Nowitzki. The 2007 1st Round exit is going to hurt his repeat chances, in addition to the probability that the Mavs will not improve upon, nor repeat their 67-win mark of last season. The Mavs will still have one of the best records, however, so Dirk will have to place high in the voting.

6. Tim Duncan. I don't think he has a chance at being awarded the MVP, but he'll likely place near or within the top 5 again. Duncan and the Spurs care more about the postseason, so Duncan will probably continue to play only about 34 MPG, barely average 20 and 10, and not care about regular-season awards. The Spurs will win enough and enough voters will appreciate the concept to get him some votes, though


Some of the others mentioned don't seem to have a remote chance. Shaq is on the decline, and he has a long history of missing large chunks of the season.

Wade has some health issues of his own, and Shaq's health and apparent decline are almost as important to his MVP chances. When the Heat won 52 games in 2006, Wade only finished 6th in the MVP voting and received no 1st place votes, and I don't see him improving upon that season.

Paul Pierce isn't even the best player on his team anymore, although he'll probably receive some MVP attention now that the Celtics are prone to winning.

Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady will probably always cancel each other out, even if the Rockets do win a few more games.

Iverson, like McGrady, is taking a cut in his stats now, so he's out. If the Nuggets do improve, maybe Carmelo Anthony will receive some attention, but I don't see them improving enough for this to happen--top 5 at most.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:34 AM   #14
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over
 
Manute for Ever!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Singapore, via Australia
Posts: 9,303
Manute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterManute for Ever! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Predict this year's MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fence
1. LeBron James. Although the Cavs were swept in the Finals and had one of the easiest trips to the Conference Finals in recent history, the fact that he appeared in the Finals will probably stick in the back of voters' minds. That might have come into play with Nowitzki appearing in the Finals in 2006 and then winning the MVP in 2007. And, many have wanted to crown him for a while now. If the Cavs improve from 50 wins, and James improves, at least statistically, from last season (averaging 30 PPG would help), he’ll be the favorite.

2. Steve Nash. I hope they're tired of voting for Nash, but I doubt it. If the 2005 and 2006 MVPs and a close 2nd place finish last season are any indication, I'm sure he'll be right up there again. The Suns will likely win a lot of games again and lose to the Spurs in the playoffs, too.

3. Kevin Garnett. If the Celtics finish around the top in the East, I think he'll have a good chance. It's difficult to say how it'll turn out, though. He might have a statistical drop off, and the MVP voters care a lot about stats. Teammates Paul Pierce and Ray Allen might steal some votes from him, too.

4. Kobe Bryant. Assuming the Lakers make the playoffs, he'll probably finish around 3rd to 5th as usual since 2002. With the off-season distractions and trade requests and no significant improvement on the team, I don't see his chances at the MVP improving.

5. Dirk Nowitzki. The 2007 1st Round exit is going to hurt his repeat chances, in addition to the probability that the Mavs will not improve upon, nor repeat their 67-win mark of last season. The Mavs will still have one of the best records, however, so Dirk will have to place high in the voting.

6. Tim Duncan. I don't think he has a chance at being awarded the MVP, but he'll likely place near or within the top 5 again. Duncan and the Spurs care more about the postseason, so Duncan will probably continue to play only about 34 MPG, barely average 20 and 10, and not care about regular-season awards. The Spurs will win enough and enough voters will appreciate the concept to get him some votes, though


Some of the others mentioned don't seem to have a remote chance. Shaq is on the decline, and he has a long history of missing large chunks of the season.

Wade has some health issues of his own, and Shaq's health and apparent decline are almost as important to his MVP chances. When the Heat won 52 games in 2006, Wade only finished 6th in the MVP voting and received no 1st place votes, and I don't see him improving upon that season.

Paul Pierce isn't even the best player on his team anymore, although he'll probably receive some MVP attention now that the Celtics are prone to winning.

Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady will probably always cancel each other out, even if the Rockets do win a few more games.

Iverson, like McGrady, is taking a cut in his stats now, so he's out. If the Nuggets do improve, maybe Carmelo Anthony will receive some attention, but I don't see them improving enough for this to happen--top 5 at most.

Excellent reasoning, if LeBron does have the improved jumper and is consistent with it (FIBA tourney was only 1/10th of the season), he will be hard to bypass. I Disagree on Duncan, due to him being the best player on what is consistently one of the best teams.
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:56 AM   #15
D-Fence
Great young streetballer
 
D-Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 503
D-Fence has decent reputation
Default Re: Predict this year's MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
I Disagree on Duncan, due to him being the best player on what is consistently one of the best teams.

You're correct that Duncan has been the best player on what is consistently one of the best teams. However, look at where that has landed him in the MVP the last 3 seasons.

This past season, the Spurs won 58 games (3rd best in the league), and Duncan averaged 20 PPG and 10.6 RPG. Duncan finished 4th in MVP voting and received no 1st place votes. Kobe Bryant barely made the playoffs, and he receieved 2 1st place votes and came in 3rd.

In 2006, the Spurs won 63 games (2nd best in the league), and Duncan averaged 18.6 PPG and 11 RPG (although he had the foot issues). He finished a distant 8th in the MVP voting.

In 2005, the Spurs won 59 games (tied for 2nd best in the league), and Duncan averaged 20.3 PPG and 11.1 RPG (he missed a few games, though). He finished in 4th and received 1 1st place vote.

Back when he won MVP in 2002 and 2003, he averaged 25.5 PPG and 12.7 RPG and 23.3 PPG and 12.9 RPG. He also averaged 40.6 and 39.3 MPG those 2 seasons. When he came in a distant 2nd in 2004, he averaged 36.6 MPG, 22.3 PPG and 12.4 RPG.

The last 3 seasons, however, Duncan has averaged 33.4, 34.8 and 34.1 MPG and his numbers have dropped consequently, as well as, perhaps, due to age and more help from teammates.

Duncan is 31 years old now, and while he'll surely still be the best player on one of the best teams--arguably even the best player in the league on the best team in the league--I don't see him improving significantly statistically, nor do I see him being higher than I projected in the MVP race.

That's my objective opinion in evaluating the MVP voters habits. It's not my personal opinion on where Duncan deserves to rank in the MVP race.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:56 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy