Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-15-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation
Default Top 5 MLB players for each position

In my opinion:

C- 1) Victor Martinez, 2) Jorge Posada, 3) Joe Mauer, 4) Russell Martin, 5) Kenji Johjima

1B- 1) Albert Pujols, 2) Prince Fielder, 3) Justin Morneau, 4) Carlos Pena, 5) Ryan Howard

2B- 1) Chase Utley, 2) Placido Polanco, 3) Freddie Sanchez, 4) Robinson Cano, 5) Brandon Phillips

3B- 1) Alex Rodriguez, 2) Mike Lowell, 3) Miguel Cabrera, 4) David Wright, 5) Chone Figgins

SS- 1) Derek Jeter, 2) Jose Reyes, 3) Hanley Remirez, 4) Jimmy Rollins, 5) Michael Young

OF- 1) Ichiro, 2) Magglio Ordonez, 3) Vladimir Guererro, 4) Matt Holliday, 5) Juan Pierre/Carl Crawford

DH- 1) David Ortiz, 2) Jose Vidro, 3) Gary Sheffield, 4) Aubrey Huff, 5) Jim Thome

SP- 1) Jake Peavy, 2) Brad Penny, 3) Josh Beckett, 4) C.C. Sabathia, 5) Johan Santana

RP- 1) Takashi Saito, 2) J.J. Putz, 3) Jose Valverde, 4) Francisco Cordero, 5) Trevor Hoffman/Bobby Jenks

Agree?
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
-primetime-

Default Re: Top 5 MLB players for each position

this is why the Rangers need to get a team that can compete...so that I can have a decent opinion about baseball players...

no pudge at catcher?
Old 09-15-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Chocolate
In my opinion:

C- 1) Victor Martinez, 2) Jorge Posada, 3) Joe Mauer, 4) Russell Martin, 5) Kenji Johjima

1B- 1) Albert Pujols, 2) Prince Fielder, 3) Justin Morneau, 4) Carlos Pena, 5) Ryan Howard

2B- 1) Chase Utley, 2) Placido Polanco, 3) Freddie Sanchez, 4) Robinson Cano, 5) Brandon Phillips

3B- 1) Alex Rodriguez, 2) Mike Lowell, 3) Miguel Cabrera, 4) David Wright, 5) Chone Figgins

SS- 1) Derek Jeter, 2) Jose Reyes, 3) Hanley Remirez, 4) Jimmy Rollins, 5) Michael Young

OF- 1) Ichiro, 2) Magglio Ordonez, 3) Vladimir Guererro, 4) Matt Holliday, 5) Juan Pierre/Carl Crawford

DH- 1) David Ortiz, 2) Jose Vidro, 3) Gary Sheffield, 4) Aubrey Huff, 5) Jim Thome

SP- 1) Jake Peavy, 2) Brad Penny, 3) Josh Beckett, 4) C.C. Sabathia, 5) Johan Santana

RP- 1) Takashi Saito, 2) J.J. Putz, 3) Jose Valverde, 4) Francisco Cordero, 5) Trevor Hoffman/Bobby Jenks

Agree?

I don't think Pierre belong on the outfielders list. Replace him with Griffey/Soriano/Manny/Dye, etc. For your starting pitchers list, Santana I feel is the best there is
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

White Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputationWhite Chocolate has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
this is why the Rangers need to get a team that can compete...so that I can have a decent opinion about baseball players...

no pudge at catcher?

As far as overall production, those five produce more than Pudge. You need to look not just HR and RBIs, but defense, batting average, on base percentage, and health.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You mention Pierre. Ya know, he's one of those guys who gets cracked on all the time for his low OBP, and is generally called overrated. Whenever I see him, I am extremely impressed. He can scoot down the line, bunt the ball anywhere, plays a great field, and is there every day
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Los Angeles
A Diamond In the Rough

Los Angeles has an OK reputation so far

I don't watch baseball, but I do root for Ken Griffey, and Ichiro Suzuki.
Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 08:57 PM   #7
Xplicit
Great young streetballer

Xplicit has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Agree?

All those guys you have before Santana have only put up good numbers THIS year. And Santana's not even having a bad year (just compared to his own standards)

I take Johan Santana over all those guys eight days a week..
Xplicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplicit
All those guys you have before Santana have only put up good numbers THIS year. And Santana's not even having a bad year (just compared to his own standards)

I take Johan Santana over all those guys eight days a week..

All four guys are proven guys and have better ERAs than Santana, except for Beckett and Sabathia. The reason I would take Sabathia is because he can pitch for 7 and 8 innings, which keeps the Indians in ball games, which they usually end up winning because of their talented team.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:31 PM   #9
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Your list for SP's is brutal. Johan Santana should be #1 on EVERYONE'S list. This year isn't the only year that matters. Juan Pierre sucks, he's not even a top 50 player in this league I bet. Chone Figgins isn't that good either.

Mine:

C:
1) Jorge Posada
2) Joe Mauer
3) Victor Martinez (too awful defensively at such an important position to put at the top)
4) Russell Martin
5) Brian McCann

1B
1) Albert Pujols
2) Ryan Howard
3) Prince Fielder
4) Lance Berkman
5) Mark Teixeira

2B
1) Chase Utley
2) Placido Polanco
3) Jeff Kent
4) Brandon Phillips
5) Orlando Hudson

3B
1) Alex Rodriguez
2) David Wright
3) Chipper Jones
4) Miguel Cabrera (a butcher with the glove, should be moved to LF)
5) Aramis Ramirez

SS
1) Hanley Ramirez
2) Carlos Guillen
3) Derek Jeter
4) Jimmy Rollins
5) Jose Reyes

- This one was tough beacause all the overall great hitting SS are awful fielders (Ramirez, Jeter, Guillen). Still, those 3 are so far ahead in offense of the others that you can't rank them lower. If Rollins shows that he can hit like this again next year, he'll move to the top.

LF
1) Matt Holliday
2) Barry Bonds
3) Manny Ramirez (the worst defensive player in the entire league, but still a GREAT hitter when healthy)
4) Gary Sheffield
5) Jason Bay (just having a down year)

- Bonds, Ramirez, and Sheffield are all old and poor fielders but cmon... they're still some of the best hitters in the entire league.

CF
1) Carlos Beltran
2) Ichiro
3) Grady Sizemore
4) Curtis Granderson
5) Vernon Wells (down year + injuries)

RF
1) Vlad Guerrero
2) Magglio Ordonez
3) Alex Rios
4) Ken Griffey Jr.
5) Brad Hawpe (if only he could hit lefties he'd play everyday)

DH: Who cares? Anyone in the league can play this "position". The best ones who currently play it are Hafner, Ortiz and Thome.

SP
1) Johan Santana
2) Jake Peavy
3) Brandon Webb
4) Roy Oswalt
5) CC Sabathia

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 09-15-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:00 AM   #10
albertpujols
High School Varsity 6th Man

albertpujols has no real reputation yet.

I love your list Qwyjibo but Sheffield doesn't even play defence anymore (DH).

And aww no Roy Halladay love lol. Just too lazy to make my own list
albertpujols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:24 AM   #11
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I love your list Qwyjibo but Sheffield doesn't even play defence anymore (DH).

Yea forgot about that. I guess I'd take him out and stick Carl Crawford in at #5.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:38 AM   #12
RomoSexual

Why do people continue to overrate Ichiro? A glorified singles hitter is all he is...
Old 09-16-2007, 02:57 AM   #13
White Chocolate
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomoSexual
Why do people continue to overrate Ichiro? A glorified singles hitter is all he is...

Because he consistently puts up 200 hits a year, bats well into the .300s, and is an excellent fielder. If he came here at 20-21, he'd shatter Pete Rose's hits record.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:03 AM   #14
RomoSexual

Quote:
Because he consistently puts up 200 hits a year, bats well into the .300s, and is an excellent fielder. If he came here at 20-21, he'd shatter Pete Rose's hits record.

who cares...? Hes a glorified singles hitter... There are so many players in the league that are much better hitters than he is.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #15
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomoSexual
who cares...? Hes a glorified singles hitter... There are so many players in the league that are much better hitters than he is.
Not many who play CF. And this year, there is almost no one who has played better D than him there. CF is only behind C, SS and 2B in fielding importance so having a good hitter there adds to his value. That's why Beltran was a legit candidate for MVP last year.

Career .333 AVG and .379 OBP plus many gold gloves (which he actually deserved, unlike other players) and now he's doing the same thing in CF.

This year he is top 6 in the AL in runs created, win shares and VORP. Maybe previously his value was overrated since he was inexplicably stashed at RF but not anymore.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: