Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
Pyro
Banned

Pyro has an OK reputation so far
Question Chris Webber To The Magic ???

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,0,37889.story

Agent Aaron Goodwin said that the Magic haven't contacted him about the availability of free agent Chris Webber, but he expects them to do so.

The Magic could be in the market for a big man after a shoulder injury to power forward Tony Battie.

"I haven't had any new conversations about Chris and Orlando. I do expect that Otis (Magic General Manager Otis Smith) will at least reach out," said Goodwin, who represents Webber and Dwight Howard among others.

Webber has indicated he likely will return to the Detroit Pistons, but the Pistons can only offer him the minimum of $1.2 million.

The Magic flirted with the idea of signing Webber last season after the Philadelphia 76ers bought out his contract and waived him.

If the Magic are granted an injury exception for Battie -- who is expected now to likely miss the entire season with a rotator cuff injury -- it will be worth about $2.6 million (half of Battie million (half of Battie's salary this season), more appealing to free agents.

Smith said he has received several offers from teams trying to trade big men.

Battie update Magic team doctor Craig Mintzer said he recommended to Battie that he not return this season if he has to have rotator-cuff surgery.

"I wouldn't want him to risk it," said Mintzer, who estimated it could take up to eight months to recover.

Battie will seek a third opinion from Dr. David Altchek, the New York Mets team physician who operated on pitcher Pedro Martinez's rotator cuff last October. Martinez returned to the mound last month -- 11 months after the surgery. Mintzer said Battie has changed his mind and will not see surgeon Dr. James Andrews.

Also G Keyon Dooling received several stitches to close a cut near his left eye he sustained after catching an elbow from Bo Outlaw during Sunday morning's spirited scrimmage. Dooling had to miss a portion of the scrimmage, but said he is fine . . .Coach Stan Van Gundy was pleased with the intensity of the scrimmage. "They really got after it," said. "They showed they wanted to be a good team." According to onlookers, PG Jameer Nelson, F Hedo Turkoglu and SG Keith Bogans stood out . . . Will Perdue has left the Magic's radio broadcast team. Former Magic coach Richie Adubato, the color analyst for home games, will assume Perdue's duties on the road.
Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #2
Classic
Kids at the park dunk on me

Classic has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Chris Webber To The Magic ???

Wouldn't be a bad pick up on the Magic's behalf if they can pull it off.
Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Dwight may actually be able to cover enough of his defensive and rebounding defencies to really get him some minutes. Offensively he still passes well enough to run an offense through at the high post, and his jumper's probably better than it's been.

Considering that there's a thread around here with Rashard Lewis starting at PF, and that there front court depth looks something like Tony Battie, James Augustine, Adonal Foyle, and Gortat the Polish guy, it'd be hard to blame them.

It'd also be interesting to see Webber suit up for the Magic some 13 years after being drafted by them. Full circle. I always thought a young Shaq and Webber would have worked.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

hes still a solid rebounder thorpe. 7.2 in 29 mins last year. not spectacular, but definitely respectable.
boozehound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #5
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

they could actually use him with battie out of the season. on offense he still brings a few things to the table. if i was web though i'd stay in detroit. that's his home, and of all the teams interested in giving him a significant role, they are the closest to being actual contenders.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

article says that the agent is expecting orlando's GM to contact them... battie injury or not, they should have been in contact with webber before they made the move for foyle.

is ownership high on this GM?
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
VCMVP1551
NBA sixth man of the year

VCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this boardVCMVP1551 is popular on this board

I heard a rumor like this in August. It makes a lot of sense. C-Webb gets a chance to start and the Magic add a much needed big man. Webber isn't what he once was but he could give Orlando 12-14 ppg, 7-8 rpg and about 3 apg. Webber, Howard and Lewis is a dangerous frontcourt.
VCMVP1551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
Defo
I brick open layups

Defo has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
article says that the agent is expecting orlando's GM to contact them... battie injury or not, they should have been in contact with webber before they made the move for foyle.

is ownership high on this GM?

Otis Smith? Obviously ownership must like him, but I can't imagine the fans are crazy about the guy. His defining move as a GM so far was overpaying Rashard Lewis.

Webber with the Magic makes some sense, I'd like to see it happen.
Defo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #9
Perezident
Kings>>>Clippers

Perezident has no real reputation yet.

this could make the Magics really good imo
Perezident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

Front court is looking real sick.

Lewis, Webber and Dwight.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #11
clipps
Good college starter

clipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputationclipps has a terrific reputation

Goin back to the team that drafted him. I always wondered how the Magic would have done if young Shaq and young CWeb teamed up.
clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #12
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I always thought a young Shaq and Webber would have worked.

Of course that 'would have worked' in their youthful primes they'd be an absolutely unstoppable high/low, power/finesse, full of athleticisim, combo from hell
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #13
luigi>mario
Now known as Luigi

luigi>mario has an OK reputation so far

I think it would help the Magic a lot,

But I just don't see the motivation for Webber to go there. He is old and taking low salaries to win. He should stay with the Pistons.
luigi>mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #14
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Of course that 'would have worked' in their youthful primes they'd be an absolutely unstoppable high/low, power/finesse, full of athleticisim, combo from hell

There were lots of people who didn't think it'd work. Mostly for ego reasons. There was only so much room down there to operate, and only so many touches to be had. But at the time, I felt Webber was more of a full court player, like Shawn Kemp, and would be fine getting most of his touches out there anyway. That's where the highlights would have been anyway. As it turns out, his high post game developed even better than one would have imagined, and he would have fit even better than that.

I remember that draft, thinking that the Magic should wait to see if Nick Van Excel would fall to them from Cinci., as there were rumors swirling about his personality. As it were, they could have taken him before the Lakers did, and run him at the point instead of Penny. They already had Dennis Scott and Nick Anderson. I'dve taken that five over the group with Penny and Ho Grant personally.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #15
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has an OK reputation so far

And why would C-Webb sign with the Magic, a borderline playoff team, more likely lotto team? I highly doubt he would for the money. I'm sure he's well off as is...
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: