Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Sacramento Kings Forum

Sacramento Kings Forum Sacramento Kings forum - Sacramento Kings message board

Old 10-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here
Default Pacific preview...

With all of the talk about how the kings will probably be a 30 win team, I thought about the matchups and a division preview.

Suns (62-20): One of the top teams in the league, they still have Nash, Amare, and the supporting cast that runs teams out of the building. Amare had minor knee surgery, but it probably won't effect his game. He is still injury prone, so staying healthy is a major factor for the team's success. Marion wants out, but will still play if not moved, and the team dumped Thomas and added veteran Grant Hill. Skinner adds some frontcourt defense, something the suns have been needing.

Nash
Bell
Hill
Marion
Amare
--------
Barbosa
Diaw
Skinner

I think the kings can run with them if they go with a small lineup, and since Williams is returning, I think a lineup of Bibby/Martin/Garcia/Artest/Williams can keep pace with them. Last season, the suns embarassed the kings by beating them down the court. This team has the speed to keep pace, it just needs to play smarter. Shooting is also key. The suns live and die by their outside shots. Keeping in a faster lineup in can help put pressure on the perimeter shooters and can keep pace with them in the transition game.

Lakers (47-35): This team is one big question mark. Will Bynum improve and get more time over Kwame? Will they stay healthy? Can Fisher really make this team better? Will Kobe stop playing me-first ball, and divert more to Odom and Walton? They improved their weakest roster spot with adding Fisher, and they can be a dangerous team if Odom and Walton are healthy.

Fisher
Kobe
Walton
Odom
Brown
-------
Bynum
Farmar
Cook
Vlad

The Kings have let the matchups benefit the lakers by not playing them correctly. Odom has killed this team in the past, because Artest is busy on Kobe and nobody steps up. I think that Garcia or Salmons should play Kobe until he becomes a problem, and let Artest cover Odom. If Kobe gets hot, move Artest on him and put KT on Odom. KT has the size, mobility, and strength to cover Odom, he just needs to grow up. He used to be a decent defender when he first came to Sac. Martin needs to be more aggressive against Kobe and make him exert effort on the defensive side of the floor. The frontline needs to get more physical with Kwame and Bynum inside, and Miller can help spread the defense by hitting outside shots, and forcing Kwame and Bynum further out than they like to be.

Warriors (43-39): The warriors are comming off of a great season where they made the playoffs and beat the #1 ranked Mavericks. They traded away warrior veteran Richardson for a draft pick and chose Brandon Wright. This team can be dangerous, and they also can implode by taking bad shots and falling in love with the 3 ball.

Davis
Barnes
Jackson
Harrington
Biedrins
-------
Pietrus
Ellis
Belinelli

Baron destroys Bibby every time, and putting Douby on him might slow him down. The warriors are athletic and can take advantage of the older, slower guys on the Kings. Once again, going with a younger, more athletic lineup can help defensively. They don't have a low post threat, so denying penetration is key, because that puts more pressure on the outside shooters. If they don't hit their perimeter shots, they crumble.

Kings (40-42): Adding Moore and Hawes did little to improve the weakness in Sac: frontline defense and rebounding. The only hope for sac is if Williams gets more time and becomes a Keon Clark type guy, who can provide help defense inside, grab rebounds, and get the occasional putback. KT needs to grow up, Miller needs to stay healthy and knock down those elbow jumpers, and they need to continue to develop their young talent in Douby, Garcia, and Williams. Martin needs to have a larger role offensively, where he can create his own shot, and IMO Bibby is more effective playing only 30 minutes a game. I think depending on how Artest and Bibby play, this team could either be a 30 win team, or a 50 win team (no joke, if everybody plays up to their potential). This team has real talent, it's just not putting everything together.

Bibby
Martin
Artest
Miller
Williams
-------
Garcia
Salmons
Moore
Douby
SAR
Hawes

Clippers (28-54): They are devestated by injuries to Livingston and Brand, and are still dealing with Sam at point. Look for Maggette and Cat to take on a larger role offensively, but I think this season we will see the Clippers at their familiar spot at the bottom of the division.

Sam
Cat
Maggette
Thomas
Kaman
-------
Knight
Patterson
Williams

So I think the Pacific will look like this:

Suns
Lakers
Warriors
Kings
Clippers

The key point is that LA, Sac, and GS are so close, that a key injury or just improved chemistry could put any of those 3 teams in any of those middle spots. IMO, the team that ends up in that second spot gets to the playoffs. The west is so deep, that the Grizz, Hornets, Lakers, Warriors, and Kings will all be playing for two playoff spots (Utah, SA, Hou, Dal, Phx, Den will be in playoffs), so division games become that much more important.

Last edited by Showtime : 10-05-2007 at 06:46 PM.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
Admiral
Good High School Starter

Admiral has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Pacific preview...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
With all of the talk about how the kings will probably be a 30 win team, I thought about the matchups and a division preview.

Suns (62-20): One of the top teams in the league, they still have Nash, Amare, and the supporting cast that runs teams out of the building. Amare had minor knee surgery, but it probably won't effect his game. He is still injury prone, so staying healthy is a major factor for the team's success. Marion wants out, but will still play if not moved, and the team dumped Thomas and added veteran Grant Hill. Skinner adds some frontcourt defense, something the suns have been needing.

Nash
Bell
Hill
Marion
Amare
--------
Barbosa
Diaw
Skinner

I think the kings can run with them if they go with a small lineup, and since Williams is returning, I think a lineup of Bibby/Martin/Garcia/Artest/Williams can keep pace with them. Last season, the suns embarassed the kings by beating them down the court. This team has the speed to keep pace, it just needs to play smarter. Shooting is also key. The suns live and die by their outside shots. Keeping in a faster lineup in can help put pressure on the perimeter shooters and can keep pace with them in the transition game.

Lakers (47-35): This team is one big question mark. Will Bynum improve and get more time over Kwame? Will they stay healthy? Can Fisher really make this team better? Will Kobe stop playing me-first ball, and divert more to Odom and Walton? They improved their weakest roster spot with adding Fisher, and they can be a dangerous team if Odom and Walton are healthy.

Fisher
Kobe
Walton
Odom
Brown
-------
Bynum
Farmar
Cook
Vlad

The Kings have let the matchups benefit the lakers by not playing them correctly. Odom has killed this team in the past, because Artest is busy on Kobe and nobody steps up. I think that Garcia or Salmons should play Kobe until he becomes a problem, and let Artest cover Odom. If Kobe gets hot, move Artest on him and put KT on Odom. KT has the size, mobility, and strength to cover Odom, he just needs to grow up. He used to be a decent defender when he first came to Sac. Martin needs to be more aggressive against Kobe and make him exert effort on the defensive side of the floor. The frontline needs to get more physical with Kwame and Bynum inside, and Miller can help spread the defense by hitting outside shots, and forcing Kwame and Bynum further out than they like to be.

Warriors (43-39): The warriors are comming off of a great season where they made the playoffs and beat the #1 ranked Mavericks. They traded away warrior veteran Richardson for a draft pick and chose Brandon Wright. This team can be dangerous, and they also can implode by taking bad shots and falling in love with the 3 ball.

Davis
Barnes
Jackson
Harrington
Biedrins
-------
Pietrus
Ellis
Belinelli

Baron destroys Bibby every time, and putting Douby on him might slow him down. The warriors are athletic and can take advantage of the older, slower guys on the Kings. Once again, going with a younger, more athletic lineup can help defensively. They don't have a low post threat, so denying penetration is key, because that puts more pressure on the outside shooters. If they don't hit their perimeter shots, they crumble.

Kings (40-42): Adding Moore and Hawes did little to improve the weakness in Sac: frontline defense and rebounding. The only hope for sac is if Williams gets more time and becomes a Keon Clark type guy, who can provide help defense inside, grab rebounds, and get the occasional putback. KT needs to grow up, Miller needs to stay healthy and knock down those elbow jumpers, and they need to continue to develop their young talent in Douby, Garcia, and Williams. Martin needs to have a larger role offensively, where he can create his own shot, and IMO Bibby is more effective playing only 30 minutes a game. I think depending on how Artest and Bibby play, this team could either be a 30 win team, or a 50 win team (no joke, if everybody plays up to their potential). This team has real talent, it's just not putting everything together.

Bibby
Martin
Artest
Miller
Williams
-------
Garcia
Salmons
Moore
Douby
SAR
Hawes

Clippers (28-54): They are devestated by injuries to Livingston and Brand, and are still dealing with Sam at point. Look for Maggette and Cat to take on a larger role offensively, but I think this season we will see the Clippers at their familiar spot at the bottom of the division.

Sam
Cat
Maggette
Thomas
Kaman
-------
Knight
Patterson
Williams

So I think the Pacific will look like this:

Suns
Lakers
Warriors
Kings
Clippers

The key point is that LA, Sac, and GS are so close, that a key injury or just improved chemistry could put any of those 3 teams in any of those middle spots. IMO, the team that ends up in that second spot gets to the playoffs. The west is so deep, that the Grizz, Hornets, Lakers, Warriors, and Kings will all be playing for two playoff spots (Utah, SA, Hou, Dal, Phx, Den will be in playoffs), so division games become that much more important.

Suns are obviously gonna be killer...i think Bibby/Martin/Garcia/Artest/Williams is actually one of the better match-up lineups that we have against most teams, though that is only against their starters....

i say garcia on kobe and salmons on walton would work ok for a while because kobe is going to try to play team ball for a while (keep in mind he did average over 5 assists per game last season) but garcia is an underrated defender IMO...if Martin can get some defensive specialty training i think he could be a pretty good defender because of his speed.

i think between moore, miller, KT, SAR, Williams, AND Hawes we could just keep some young legs in to contribute to the front court D (focusing on Williams, Miller (lost 25 lbs) and Moore for D and Hawes Miller and SAR for offense...teams like Golden State would be all about substitution management...

as far as your Bibby/Martin/Artest/Miller/Williams, i think williams would be better suited at PF for a while, especially on offense while Brad helps with the offensive passing out on the perimeter to stretch defenses, etc.

Garcia/Salmons/Moore/Douby/SAR/Hawes probably shouldn't be the positional order for their bench calls...it should be more: Douby/Salmons/Garcia/Moore(SAR)/Hawes

and i have the kings at 41 wins this year (assuming no huge injuries and the new coach..
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: