Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-06-2007, 12:59 AM   #1
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Microfracture operations. Why so many recently?

Is it just me or does it seem every knee injury these days results in microfracture surgery? Was it recently developed or has it always been around and used ot just be called a knee operation? I never heard the term till like 2003 or 2004 and now it seems every year someone major gets one.

If it is new...what kind of operation did it replace? How would they fix the problem in the past?
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:09 AM   #2
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Microfracture operations. Why so many recently?

good question. I looked it up

Quote:
The surgery is quick (taking around 30 minutes), minimally invasive, and has significantly shorter recovery times than an arthroplasty (knee replacement). Combined with a high rate of success, these factors have caused orthopedic surgeons to use the procedure with increasing frequency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfracture_surgery
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:26 AM   #3
bk33
duck my sick

bk33 has decent reputation

if it's got "shorter recovery time" which is usually a season, how long was the alternative suppose to be?
bk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:59 AM   #4
ExpatSunsFan
Local High School Star

ExpatSunsFan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk33
if it's got "shorter recovery time" which is usually a season, how long was the alternative suppose to be?
According to that article, the alternative is knee replacement. Nobody's going to play NBA ball after that...

I imagine in the past, players would play as long as they could with torn cartilage in their knees, then retire.
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:21 AM   #5
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

This is like the Tommy John surgery for baseball players...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:22 AM   #6
JPR
Banned

JPR has decent reputation

it's a new and more used diagnosis, that's why. in the past, "they" simply called it something else.
JPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:35 AM   #7
link
Serious playground baller

link has an OK reputation so far

The surgery was first developed for seniors whose cartilage had worn away and had trouble walking because of the bone-on-bone pain. For athletes who have the same problem and want to keep playing, it provides some hope of growing cartilage again. Only problem is that most players lose a lot strength in the knee and generally do not move as quickly or jump as high, i.e. Penny Hardaway or Jamal Mashburn. The exception would seem to be Amare, but I've read that he had the surgery done on a non-weight bearing part of the knee. Seems that if the cartilage problem is on the weight bearing part of the knee and is bigger than 1 cm, you're never the same after the surgery as a basketball player.
link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

it's getting cheaper...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:43 PM   #9
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

I just imagine that unless absolutely necessary guys played through the pain. Or unless absolutely necessary like Penny would get the arthriscopic procedure like Shaq received last year. It isn't as permanent a fix, and could have to be done numerous times over the course of a career (considering Shaqs age, it is worth it). But yeah, Shaq had cartilage tears and could've had micro surgery.

I think the recovery time for Micro is really just shorter when you don't have a job like a football player and running a few miles up and down the court every night . I remember guys like Penny and Jamal came back way too quickly, which is why they are where they are. I think 8months at the least is good for a basketball player. It is such a questionable thing as to whether or not you'll get enough blood flowing to that spot so that it clots and eventually forms and replaces cartilage, and coming back on it too fast does not help when you're damaging it again. And there could be small scar tissue problems there too to complicate things.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
blazerfan22
Retro is in

blazerfan22 has an OK reputation so far

Yeah. It sucks.
blazerfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: