Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Seattle SuperSonics Forum

Seattle SuperSonics Forum Seattle Supersonics message board - sonics fan forum

Old 07-22-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default stockton vs gp?

who was a better point guard over the span of their careers: gp or john stockton?

please consider the following areas:

stats
championships/championship runs
intangibles
running their perspective teams

please dont let the following dominate:

personality
homerism
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Payton
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
KnicksFan4Life
Banned

KnicksFan4Life has an OK reputation so far

stockton homes
KnicksFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:22 PM   #4
kobedaman24
its ours nxt year LA09

kobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this boardkobedaman24 is popular on this board

Stockton was a better PG. It was fun watching him PLAY THE GAME. It was fun watching GP ARGUE WITH THE REFS ABOUT A CALL. Why are you guys even talking about GP, hes gone..
kobedaman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default gp legacy

true sonic fans talk about gp 'cause he is the all time greatest sonic. period.

(although a strong case may be made for lenny wilkins)
Old 07-24-2006, 01:50 AM   #6
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

Bricklayer has no real reputation yet.

Stockton vs GP... arguably the 2 best point guards in the league during the early to mid-90's. I was only around 12 years old when they clashed at their best and i never picked apart their styles - i was too caught up in the beauty of the games and the results. Looking back though, i remember they were both very cerebral players. Stockton treated every game, every possession like it was a chess match. He sifted opposing teams' defenses like a nurse looks at your head for lice. Payton willed his team to win by inspiring teammates, yapping at the refs (which i'm sure helps to get one or two pivotal calls every now and then - good to have someone like that on your team), and getting into the heads of weak-minded opponents. Payton once said Stockton was one of the 2 hardest guys to guard (i believe the other was Rod Strickland??) cuz Stock never did the same thing twice. Stockton clearly had to keep on his toes to match GP's all-out speed and post-up toughness. Payton often took the burden of winning on his own shoulders and scored whenever the shot presented itself. Stockton preferred to let his teammates do the scoring (and did so effectively with timely passes for easy buckets) but was often criticized for being too timid when passing up open shots. GP had a strong cast of role players and a freak athlete sidekick in Kemp to throw alley oops all day to. Stock also had a bruising, star-sidekick in Malone who was the beneficiary of unstoppable passes. Payton wears his heart on his sleeve. Stock had ice in his veins. Two very different styles, one result. They both won games. Neither got their rings in their prime but not for lack of effort... a man named Jordan simply stood in the way. And losing to Jordan is nothing to be ashamed of.
Bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:00 AM   #7
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Default insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricklayer
Stockton vs GP... arguably the 2 best point guards in the league during the early to mid-90's. I was only around 12 years old when they clashed at their best and i never picked apart their styles - i was too caught up in the beauty of the games and the results. Looking back though, i remember they were both very cerebral players. Stockton treated every game, every possession like it was a chess match. He sifted opposing teams' defenses like a nurse looks at your head for lice. Payton willed his team to win by inspiring teammates, yapping at the refs (which i'm sure helps to get one or two pivotal calls every now and then - good to have someone like that on your team), and getting into the heads of weak-minded opponents. Payton once said Stockton was one of the 2 hardest guys to guard (i believe the other was Rod Strickland??) cuz Stock never did the same thing twice. Stockton clearly had to keep on his toes to match GP's all-out speed and post-up toughness. Payton often took the burden of winning on his own shoulders and scored whenever the shot presented itself. Stockton preferred to let his teammates do the scoring (and did so effectively with timely passes for easy buckets) but was often criticized for being too timid when passing up open shots. GP had a strong cast of role players and a freak athlete sidekick in Kemp to throw alley oops all day to. Stock also had a bruising, star-sidekick in Malone who was the beneficiary of unstoppable passes. Payton wears his heart on his sleeve. Stock had ice in his veins. Two very different styles, one result. They both won games. Neither got their rings in their prime but not for lack of effort... a man named Jordan simply stood in the way. And losing to Jordan is nothing to be ashamed of.

good insight brick

was it strickland he said that about? he was also very crafty in his prime so it wouldnt surprise me. it could have been tim hardaway though-- seems like he always played gp well. i am surprised he didnt mention magic though...
Old 07-29-2006, 01:54 PM   #8
shawnkempslovechild
I airball my layups

shawnkempslovechild has decent reputationshawnkempslovechild has decent reputation

payton.
shawnkempslovechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:59 PM   #9
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnkempslovechild
payton.

is payton your godfather sklc?

Old 09-05-2006, 10:03 AM   #10
irimus
I airball my layups

irimus has an OK reputation so far

stockton
irimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:05 AM   #11
lakers-city
Good college starter

lakers-city has decent reputationlakers-city has decent reputation

both are great.

stockton was the better playmaker and payton the best defender and scorer, granted, stockton got lots of steals but payton was a shut-them-down defender who drove other point guard nuts during his entire prime.

payton is arguably the best 1-on-1 defensive PG in NBA history and stockton arguably the best passer in NBA history (him or magic)

both are great, i cant chose one.
lakers-city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:48 PM   #12
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

Both really were pretty great. It depends on team need. Stockton was one of the ultimate "true point guards," making everyone better. Gary Payton was the better scorer and defender
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:05 AM   #13
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

here ya go glove--- found it
Old 11-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #14
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricklayer

Solid, Brick!!! It is way too hard to say who was a better point guard over their careers. They each brought something to the table that made their teams that much better. Games played, they are pretty much even. Both men were Iron Men. Stats, Stockton may have the edge; 10 years of double doubles in assists and points, awesome. Steals, they are even. Rebounds, GP has the edge. TOs, Stockton has the edge. GP contolled the ball better. Stockton was a better shooter than GP. Pretty much they are even

Rings, none other than the Western Conference rings (do they still give those out?) Stockton has 2 to GP's 1. Intangibles and running their teams; equal. They both brought different things to their teams that met the team needs.

I will give Stockton the edge, mainly because of that 10 year period where he averaged 10 or more assists and 10 or more points for 10 years!!! That was awesome. If I had to score it, Stockton would have 10 and GP would have 9, they are that close.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: