Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 07-24-2006, 01:53 PM   #1
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation
Default News from the Big Time Tournament

Otherwise known as "Rose and EJ are still unbelievably awesome" (minus a BS foul call here or there). Mean Streets may not be doing quite as well as at the Peach Jam, but that was to be expected, because their total lack of size inside is gonna be too much for this tourney.

Big Day at the Big Time

Quote:
Jerry Meyer
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting Recruiting Analyst

On a must-see day at the Reebok Big Time, O.J. Mayo had one outstanding game and squeaked out a win over the Mean Streets Express on a controversial foul call. But it was the Mean Streets Express guard combo of Eric Gordon and Derrick Rose who were the standout players of the day with two terrific performances.

After a lay up by Gordon with eight seconds left in the game to put Mean Street Express up by three, Mayo raced down the court and drained a three-pointer with 2.9 seconds left as the referee made a mystery foul call. Mayo canned the free throw to gain the win and finish off a 26 point, 4 rebound, 6 assist and zero turnover performance.

Against the 2-3 zone of the Mean Street Express, Mayo sank 7 of 8 three-pointers and went 9 of 16 from the field.

Rose and Gordon were also impressive as the Mean Street Express controlled the game until the very end. Relying heavily on his right to left crossover, Rose spent much of the first half driving by Mayo on the dribble and either scoring, drawing fouls or finding shooters.

Mayo wisely backed off of Rose during the latter part of the second half, exposing Rose's questionable outside jumper. Rose did go 0 for 5 from behind the stripe, but on the game, he put up a triple/double of 21 points, 14 rebounds and 12 assists to 4 turnovers.

In the second half, instead of playing off Rose, the D1 Greyhounds attacked him with the double team as soon as he crossed half court. Showing the maturity of a first class point guard, Rose passed the ball out of the double team with poise and confidence.

As good as Mayo and Rose were in this contest, Gordon was every bit as good with his efficient and also explosive play. Unstoppable in the open court, Gordon scored 28 points on 10 of 15 shooting, including 2 of 4 from the arc. He also had 8 rebounds and 2 assists to 2 turnovers.

In his second outing of the day, Mayo struggled mightily against the changing defenses of the SoCal All Stars in their blow out win over the D1 Greyhounds. In the first half, Mayo went 1 for 9 from the field and turned the ball over 3 times, and it didn't get better in the second half as the SoCal All Stars built upon their 20 point half time lead.

Mayo struggled both against SoCal's 2-3 zone and the aggressive man-to-man defense of Daniel Hackett.

Gordon and Rose, however, were on their A game in their second game against the Michigan Hurricanes. Gordon torched the nets from everywhere on the court for 33 points on 8 of 16 shooting, including 5 of 8 from the arc and 12 of 12 from the free-throw line. He also had 6 rebounds.

Simply unguardable, Gordon is strikingly similar to lottery pick Randy Foye, yet with even more explosiveness than Foye.

Rose was also on top of his game in the come from behind win over the Hurricanes, with 23 points on 7 of 12 shooting, including 1 of 2 from the arc and 8 of 10 from the line. He also had 7 rebounds and 5 assists.

If there is a more athletic point guard playing the game than Rose, I'd like to know who he is.

Strangely Absent

With the physical tools and potential to take what is now the up for grabs No. 1 ranking in the 2007 class, Bill Walker had a disappointing effort against the Mean Streets Express and was dressed out and walking normal, but did not play against the SoCal All Stars later in the day due to a back injury.

In his one outing of the day, Walker went for 14 points on 5 of 14 shooting, including 1 for 2 from the arc, but only had 3 rebounds. As he was at the ABCD Camp, Walker was good with the ball and good guarding the ball, but had little if any impact on the game while away from the ball, both on defense and on offense.

Proving he's a high-major prospect

Yes, he is a self admitting 6-foot-4 post player. Yes, he has average athleticism. But, Tim Flowers always produces against the recognized high-major prospects and at times dominates the game.

Against his win over the Greyhounds, flowers snagged 14 rebounds while scoring 10 points. And in his win over the Michigan Hurricanes, he scored 17 points with 6 rebounds.

Flowers listed Nebraska, Marquette, Old Dominion, ETSU, Florida Atlantic and Bradley as the schools presently in the hunt, but others are sure to get involved with him after his huge performances in the Peach Jam and his games here in Vegas.

Surprise tomorrow?

There was nothing surprising about Kevin Love's play Sunday as he dominated the interior against the Michigan Hurricanes and the D1 Greyhounds. His most impressive performance was against the Hurricanes when he went for 29 points and 12 rebounds.

The surprise, however, might come Monday when Love might announce his college decision.

"I'm not sure if I'm going to announce tomorrow or not," said Love before his night game. "I'm going to decide later tonight. If I do it, it's going to be a big surprise. I guess it isn't going to be that big of a surprise, though, since it is down to two schools."

Other top match ups

Chris Allen scored 35 points in Worldwide Renegades' six point win over the Long Island Lightning. He went 8 of 15 from the field with 5 of 8 from the arc and 14 of 17 from the line.

He also played strong defense on Corey Fisher, holding him down during the first half. In the second half, Fisher founds some cracks in the open court and finished with 13 points on 5 of 14 shooting, but did not grab a rebound while also only dishing out 2 assists to 5 turnovers.

Justin Burrell of the Long Island Lightning, however, got the better of J.J. Hickson.

Quick to the basket and quick to get above the rim, Burrell held Hickson to 4 points on 2 of 9 shooting, and Hickson only had 3 rebounds and turned the ball over 3 times without an assists. Hickson did block 4 shots.

Burrell, on the other hand, scored 16 points, grabbed 5 rebounds, blocked 2 shots and turned the ball over 1 time.

Decommitted?

After scoring 17 points and grabbing 5 rebounds in a win over Southeast Elite, Quinton Watkins said he hasn't decommitted from USC, but he is open to other schools. The problem is that Watkins hasn't heard much from USC recently, and he's unsure about playing time. Right now he is hearing from UTEP, Oregon, Washington and Virginia.

More school lists

Cliff Tucker has been dishing out the assists while playing the point here. He presently has offers from Pepperdine, UTEP, Utah and San Diego and also has interest from Oregon, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Alabama, Wichita State and Wisconsin.

Formerly from the east coast, Tucker would like to get back to the coast to play for Virginia, Maryland or Georgetown.

Chris Barnes has a top three of Florida, LSU and Memphis. All three have offered. He's also considering Georgia Tech, Charlotte and Tennessee.

Courtney Fortson, how had 21 points and 10 rebounds against the H Squad, has an Arkansas Little-Rock offer and is also getting interest from UAB, Ole Miss, Georgia, Cincinnati, Florida, and Alabama.

Zach Graham has offers from Miami, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, Georgia and Tennessee. Georgetown, Florida, Alabama and Florida State are also interested.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

ThaKing has an OK reputation so far

Another thread about Gordon and Rose.
ThaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
sundazefosho
Can barely lace up my sneakers

sundazefosho has an OK reputation so far
Default ...

ballislife.com has a video of the mean streets vs. team final game at Peach Jam.
sundazefosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #4
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

I saw that video. Tyreke Evans is terrific. I heard that some of the UNC fans on the InsideCarolina board said he looked like only a jump shooter and wasn't much beyond that. If true...I don't know what the hell they're talking about. He absolutely looks like held his own with Rose and EJ from what I saw.

Quote:
Another thread about Gordon and Rose.
No, they've been threads about the two biggest AAU tourneys of the summer. Maybe I'd have posted something different if I wasn't an Illinois fan, so if there's something Kansas-related you wanna talk about, then by all means. Post something.

But aside from that, it isn't my fault that those two teaming up has been the biggest story of the summer basketball circuit. Whether or not it means anything about Rose's college choice, I guess we'll see, but even if he doesn't go to Illinois those two are still a huge story this summer.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:57 PM   #5
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Rose better go to Illinois. Also keep posting these articles and any news you have about Illinois recruiting. I like to keep up with it. Thanks!
IlliniFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 01:58 PM   #6
barney

barney has no real reputation yet.

Here is a piece with links to the Vegas and Orlando with instructions on how to find scores from the two tournaments.
http://www.roundballcoach.com/gpage.html1.html
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
barney

barney has no real reputation yet.

Interesting tidbits on high scorers at the Big Time- past and present. Some did well, others didn't. One named Glendon Alexander wound up in jail.
Available in audio and text form
http://roundballcoach.com
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #8
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

barney, please contribute basketball opinions to this board, rather than just using this board to try to get people to leave the board to go elsewhere. Thanks
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: