Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
bjtrdff
Darrick Martin's Coach

bjtrdff has decent reputationbjtrdff has decent reputation
Default Game Thread: Raptors @ Mavs

Late, but no one else has made one, so why not.

Toronto heads to Dallas after a very disappointing home loss to Golden State. Toronto has been great on the road (3-1) but already has 4 losses at home, where they only had 10 all last season.

This is the first of a 3 game road trip for the Raps, and Dallas is unbeaten at home so far this season.

A thread was made as I typed this. Oh well.

Toronto having a great game so far, Bosh playing in his vintage form, and Bargnani with 4 triples in the first quarter. But they gave up a 26 point lead to dallas a couple of years ago, so nothing is certain, despite this 20 point lead halfway through the first.
bjtrdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Game Thread: Raptors @ Mavs

I hate how bandwagonish most of us Raptor fans can be. Remember all the optimistic threads pre and early season? Little sad how quickly that disappeared after they lost a couple games.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
Isamik
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Isamik has an OK reputation so far

Bosh is raw tonight.
Isamik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

I didn't disappear, I was watching the game... I think as far as substitution went in the first half - I thought Sam did a good job... and Dallas just tightened up on D and Bosh had a couple of lapses so far - couple of calls didn't go our way, but we're still up, it's all good..
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It's funny but even though the Raptors were up by 21 at one point, I still fully expect Dallas to win this game. I hope I'm wrong but we've seen the Raptors do this before vs Dallas and lose.

- same old Sam Mitchell and his plays. Last play of the half, TJ Ford iso and crazy contested shot. The most predictable offense in the entire league.

- Nice to see Bosh finally going to the rim often and getting some calls.

- Good thing Bargnani is drilling all those 3's because he is doing little else out there.

- Jamario Moon really shouldn't any shots, he has little range on his jump. He is doing a great job on the boards though. Moon is exactly the type of SF that the Raptors need if they plan on starting Bargnani at C. It would be nice if he was a bit more skilled but beggars can't be choosers when it comes to a 27 year old rookie.

- Ford playing well once again, MVP of the Raptors so far this season. I really REALLY hate that baseline fadeaway jumpshot he takes though, it never goes in.

- I love Calderon's jump shot but godddamn is his defense brutal. He'll get beaten off the dribble by every single guard in the league and sometimes loses his man at the 3pt line altogether. I wouldn't mind if he shot more when he goes into the game since he's usually on with that 2nd unit.

- Kapono is now consistently getting good looks and making his shots. Great to see.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:44 PM   #6
KWALI
erudite

KWALI has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
It's funny but even though the Raptors were up by 21 at one point, I still fully expect Dallas to win this game. I hope I'm wrong but we've seen the Raptors do this before vs Dallas and lose.

- same old Sam Mitchell and his plays. Last play of the half, TJ Ford iso and crazy contested shot. The most predictable offense in the entire league.

- Nice to see Bosh finally going to the rim often and getting some calls.

- Good thing Bargnani is drilling all those 3's because he is doing little else out there.

- Jamario Moon really shouldn't any shots, he has little range on his jump. He is doing a great job on the boards though. Moon is exactly the type of SF that the Raptors need if they plan on starting Bargnani at C. It would be nice if he was a bit more skilled but beggars can't be choosers when it comes to a 27 year old rookie.

- Ford playing well once again, MVP of the Raptors so far this season. I really REALLY hate that baseline fadeaway jumpshot he takes though, it never goes in.

- I love Calderon's jump shot but godddamn is his defense brutal. He'll get beaten off the dribble by every single guard in the league and sometimes loses his man at the 3pt line altogether. I wouldn't mind if he shot more when he goes into the game since he's usually on with that 2nd unit.

- Kapono is now consistently getting good looks and making his shots. Great to see.

Your gonna blame that piss poor decision on Sam Mitchell? With his speed now way that guy should force Ford into a jumper yet he ***** around with the ball and ends up outta control......I ask you this question everytime and you never answer...what would you have him do instead and how is the Raps offense more predictable than the Suns?

His rotations are inexplicable but the lack of movement is the players when TJ penetrates its basketball common sense to relocate or cut and the play was perfect TJ just ****ed it up.
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
Your gonna blame that piss poor decision on Sam Mitchell? With his speed now way that guy should force Ford into a jumper yet he ***** around with the ball and ends up outta control......I ask you this question everytime and you never answer...what would you have him do instead and how is the Raps offense more predictable than the Suns?

His rotations are inexplicable but the lack of movement is the players when TJ penetrates its basketball common sense to relocate or cut and the play was perfect TJ just ****ed it up.

Shouldn't a team have a play ready for these kinds of situations? One they practice often so they have a high % chance of getting it right? I didn't realize TJ Ford was the coach of the Raptors and responsible for calling the plays. Do you really think Ford overrides the coaches at the end of EVERY half/game and nothing is ever done about it?
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:

the last three plays heading into the half were the ford iso... it worked twice in a row, so why not try another time? I would hate it if it didn't work, but it was working...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:56 PM   #9
KWALI
erudite

Quote:
Shouldn't a team have a play ready for these kinds of situations? One they practice often so they have a high % chance of getting it right? I didn't realize TJ Ford was the coach of the Raptors and responsible for calling the plays. Do you really think Ford overrides the coaches at the end of EVERY half/game and nothing is ever done about it?

So you can't answer the question? In short you have no idea what would suit these players better or how they could get better attempts in closing moment opportunities you can only critique...Thanks....that's what I thought...

I never said TJ overrides the Coaches there was nothing wrong with that play call....he had the guy beat but he went to a half move and decided to retreat instead of attacking the space....They overuse it, to that end you have a point, but the personel on that team doesn't present a much better option it's just the fact....

You also beat the predictability of it like a dead horse but isn't the most successful offense in the last 10 seasons always been very predictable? ever since the JAZZ were the number one offense the offensive best teams do one or two things and they do them so well that they beat you with what you know is coming...

The predictability is not the problem it's the execution.....
Old 11-20-2007, 10:00 PM   #10
KWALI
erudite

O play calling maybe the coaches but players have to be able to adapt the options to suit the opportunities that present themselves....

One of the biggest problems with the execution starts with the screen with their high screen and role...they don't get good screens becuz they don't wait for Boshor Bargs to set them properly and then they don't force the defender to decide to go over or under....usually it ends up looking like the Big slipped the screen but really it was never properly set.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: