Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Boston Celtics Forum

Boston Celtics Forum Boston Celtics message board - Boston celtics fan forum

Old 07-27-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
jaypete3413
Can barely lace up my sneakers

jaypete3413 has an OK reputation so far
Default You Say Ricky And Paul Didnt Work Then What Is Wally And Paul Doing?

Ricky Was Staring To Become A Heck Of A Player In Boston........how Dare We Trade Him For Wally.......that Is Gonna Haunt Us
jaypete3413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:03 PM   #2
Snoopy
I brick open layups

Snoopy has an OK reputation so far

no because we have gerald green who will be a better player than both of them
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
boceltballa
I hit open layups

boceltballa has an OK reputation so far

Ricky and Paul weren't anything but friends on the court. They both played the game similarly which was the problem. Two guys with that same style of play on the same team just don't work! There had to be a change, everyone knew that but they just didn't want to accept it. When Wally came in, Pierce played a lot better.

Wally may not be able to do nice dunks but he certainly can shoot the three well. Boston didn't even get to see the 100% Wally. He was injured for most of the time he just was fighting it out until he really had to do something about it.
boceltballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:35 AM   #4
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boceltballa
Ricky and Paul weren't anything but friends on the court. They both played the game similarly which was the problem. Two guys with that same style of play on the same team just don't work! There had to be a change, everyone knew that but they just didn't want to accept it. When Wally came in, Pierce played a lot better.

Wally may not be able to do nice dunks but he certainly can shoot the three well. Boston didn't even get to see the 100% Wally. He was injured for most of the time he just was fighting it out until he really had to do something about it.

That was Danny's excuse, which by the way was bullsh*t. I didn't like this trade at all, it's the only trade Danny made that I hated.

Paul and Ricky are far from the same player, Ricky Davis has his game based on athletcism. Ricky get's his points 85% of the time on Cuts, Slashes, Curls, Half Cuts, Alley oops, and other off ball plays. Paul rarely does this at all, which is why I hated Danny when he said this. As we know, Paul is the guy that has a game that isn't based on pure athleticism. You give the ball to Pierce, you let him work his magic, he will create his own shot or find others off the dribble-drive. These 2 types of players playing together are almost a necessity for a fast break team to work correctly.

Which makes me ponder, why the hell did the Celts do that trade? Danny, sure, got rid of Blount, but there had to be a better way to rid get rid of him then tossing our most athletic player for a unathletic shooter.

Why didn't we just give them banks+Blount for Olowokandi+Scrub makes me angry because how much better a team the Celts could be this upcoming year with a lineup still consisting of Good Ricky.
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:01 AM   #5
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

Ricky and Paul could play together, no problem.

I think the main factor in the trade was getting rid of Blount.

Wally at 100% is about equal to Ricky.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
jaypete3413

i dont agree......ricky is hands down better then wally no matter what.........pierce and rickys game is totally different like that wise man said.......it was alot of times where pierce was in a funk and ricky hels the fort down......i dont think wally can down that.....ricky held it down in overtimes when pierce got fouled out....when pierce was 3 for 16 ricky will put up 30pts and 7ast to carry this team and you know this
Old 07-28-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
boceltballa
I hit open layups

I don't know what I was watching but what I saw was a much better Pierce when Wally came over.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:10 AM   #8
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by boceltballa
I don't know what I was watching but what I saw was a much better Pierce when Wally came over.

Did you figure that from how we immediately lost 8 in a row after the trade, because Paul had no legit second option, that he was playing better? I don't think so. He just had to carry the team on his back solely, and the team did worse.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:37 PM   #9
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat cool

Wally > Ricky

Wally...
he shoots well
he's a great right-hand man for your star player (KG then PP)
he's unselfish

Ricky...
he dunks well
he dunks well
he only dunks well...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:46 AM   #10
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

How does Ricky average more points than Wally, along with 5 assists and 5 rebounds, if all he can do is dunk? Not being fair to Slick at all there.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:14 AM   #11
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world
Wally > Ricky

Wally...
he shoots well
he's a great right-hand man for your star player (KG then PP)
he's unselfish

Ricky...
he dunks well
he dunks well
he only dunks well...

I don't understand this at all to be honest, like I said, Wally is a role player. It's all he is, was and will be. This is not to say he isn't top of the line in role players, but it's exactly what he is, a shooter. Comparing him to Ricky Davis and saying he is "superior" is almost a utmost joke. Ricky is superior to Wally in every near basketball-related quality.

I'll break it down honestly:

Wally Superior Categories:
  • 3 Point Shooting
  • Free Throw Shooting

Sub Categories- Athletics
  • Strength(?)

Ricky Davis Superior Categories
  • Mid Range shooting
  • Slashing Cutting
  • On Ball Defense
  • Off ball defense
  • Passing
  • Dribbling/Driving
  • Rebounding
  • Clutch (Ability to take over a game in a situation)
  • Leadership(Able to make teammates step up)
Sub Categor- Athletics
  • Quickness
  • Speed
  • Leaping Ability
  • Agility
  • Endurance

Those are pretty darn honest in my opinion. That's nothing against Wally. There might be 1 or 2 things you can put for Wally that I cannot think of, but I don't think so.

You might notice how I put Ricky as a superior Mid range shooter, which you might automatically assume Wally is better than him. But that is a common misconception, this is because of Ricky's ability to play off the ball, come around screens around the top of the Key, and have the quickness and agility to get off a wide open shot, while Wally would be lagging and a defender would be usually right back in his face.

And Ricky Davis changed in Boston, he turned into a good basketball player, a nd appeared to turn into a good person in general.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

Its an arguable case but people shouldn't throw Wally under a bus because he was hurt last year. Shades of Big Al.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:29 PM   #13
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Wally's a good player. He can shoot, he can score, will board a little bit, and may be a better offensive compliment to P because the ball's in his hands less. I just object to acting like he's better than Ricky when the only thing he's going to do better is play off of the basketball. And we certainly shouldn't be saying things like "all Ricky can do is dunk." Simply isn't true. Ricky did a lot of positive things for this team, and deserves more respect from us fans. So while we welcome and cheer on Wally, let's not just kick Ricky to the curb like that.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #14
boceltballa
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
Did you figure that from how we immediately lost 8 in a row after the trade, because Paul had no legit second option, that he was playing better? I don't think so. He just had to carry the team on his back solely, and the team did worse.

Celtics lost many after the trade because losing Ricky was a big thing. The Celtics liked him but it was worth getting rid of Blount and his ridiculous contract. Wally will pass the ball more than Ricky next season and he'll give the other young guys a chance to score too. Wally may not be as gifted offensively compared to Ricky but he is the smarter player.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:44 PM   #15
jaypete3413

i am glad i started this.........now i feel better that i am not the only one that feels this way about this dumb trade
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: