Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Unhappy Penny to be Waived

Quote:
Penny Hardaway's NBA comeback has come to and end with the Heat.

Hardaway was informed by the team that he would be waived in order to clear a roster spot for former Development League guard Luke Jackson.

The Heat is expected to make the formal announcement later today.

Hardaway, 36, signed a non-guaranteed, veteran's-minimum contract with the Heat in the offseason, after sitting out nearly two full years due to injuries.

While he worked his way back into eight starts in his 16 appearances, he struggled with his offense, averaging 3.8 points on .367 shooting.

He was replaced in the starting lineup last Thursday in Portland by Dorell Wright, after consecutive scoreless appearances.

The highlight of Hardaway's comeback was when he scored 16 points on 6-of-6 shooting, including 4-of-4 from behind the 3-point line, in a Nov. 17 victory in New Jersey. It was the lone double-figure performance in the comeback for a player who carried a career 15.4 scoring average into the season.

By rule, Hardaway will be made available to any other NBA team, at his minimum salary, for a 48-hour waiver period.

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumors.shtml

R.I.P. Penny
catzhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Default Re: Penny to be Waived

How would you grade Penny's comeback? I really don't think he'll be picked up by another team, so this may be it for him...
Old 12-12-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

man who cares? it's over. he can no longer contribute to a team. please don't let this guy float along on name alone. he's not GOOD anymore. plenty of young kids fighting tooth and nail for a roster spot, some of whom have talent.

I really thought this Penny comeback would amount to something but when I watch him play he just looks terrible. RIP, your career was over several years ago in Phoenix. the last worthwhile thing he ever did was when he was a pretty good starting 2 guard for the Suns when they had Marbury. he was still good then.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
catzhernandez
I love me sum Bird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
man who cares? it's over. he can no longer contribute to a team. please don't let this guy float along on name alone. he's not GOOD anymore. plenty of young kids fighting tooth and nail for a roster spot, some of whom have talent.

I really thought this Penny comeback would amount to something but when I watch him play he just looks terrible. RIP, your career was over several years ago in Phoenix. the last worthwhile thing he ever did was when he was a pretty good starting 2 guard for the Suns when they had Marbury. he was still good then.

Harsh words man. You definatley need some poontang.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

Damn, that sucks. Looks like Penny's ride in the NBA is over. Good career though, he'll always be known for those glory days in the 90's.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
kentatm
NBA Legend

DWade, Shaq and Penny

WOW!
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
j Fresh3
Banned

How about the C's? he'd play better and get a one way ticket to the Championship!

It'd give them a good backup point guard.
j Fresh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
Optimus Prime
Ringsssss

Bummer. They better not edit him out of the 2k8 rosters, so I can still build my All-Time Orlando team.

Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #9
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year

Surprised it wasn't Parker that was to be waived..then again Penny is old and Parker has plenty of time to change his career around.
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #10
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

waived to make room for LUKE JACKSON!?!? OUCH!
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #11
Jimmy2k8
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by StroShow4
waived to make room for LUKE JACKSON!?!? OUCH!

can't tell if this was a sarcastic post or a serious post. anyway, the move was good.

Not only does Miami get younger, but they get a different Luke Jackson...hopefully Jackson can stay out of the injury zone.
Jimmy2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #12
StroShow4
Certified ISHiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2k8
can't tell if this was a sarcastic post or a serious post. anyway, the move was good.

Not only does Miami get younger, but they get a different Luke Jackson...hopefully Jackson can stay out of the injury zone.

i was dead serious. think about it. youre penny hardaway, a former NBA allstar, and your team says "hey, sorry but we have to let you go".. and you ask "what for".. and they say "we need the roster space to sign luke jackson"... "uh... uh... oh. who the **** is luke jackson?!"
StroShow4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
Eldrunko247
Good college starter

shocking
Eldrunko247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #14
Round Robin
Kids at the park dunk on me

First clear image of Hardaway was, I believe, in 95' when the Magic were taking on the Bulls in the playoffs. Chicago had gotten MJ back and were giving the young Magic a real fight, but Hardaway helped to get his team to the Finals that year. I remember watching him and definitely seeing something special. Great combination of playmaking, slashing, scoring, and just all around game.

I was really rooting for him to make something of his comeback and had my hopes up after hearing of his 6 for 6 outing from the field. Looks like the end has come though...best of luck
Round Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #15
Penny4MVP2k
I hit open 5-footers

He had more downs than ups in this comeback attempt, but with Miami committing to a outside-inside attack that doesn't utilize Shaq as frequently, Penny became expendable.

I'm not sure whether or not this is the end (i still think he has something left), but if it is, at least I can say I started as a Penny fan and finished as one as well.
Penny4MVP2k is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: