Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default I'm just reading Cooz's book right now.

"On the Mystique of the Celtics" or something like that. It's a pretty cool read, if only for his asides. There's one about Al Bianci, who was an assistant coach on Phoenix in '76, who has a championship ring that says "Suns 1976 World Champions" and then engraved on the inside it reads, "Fuck you, Richie Powers," who was reffing one of those games and when Silas called for a timeout with none left he didn't give it to him because it was OT and he wanted the game to end the right way and not on a tech FT, and Boston ended up winning the game and the series in 7. I had to laugh because it would just be like a Phoenix fan around here to get a faux championship ring made up.

Other stuff I found interesting was when he's talking about Russell and how he was just a deuchebag when it came to signing autographs...wouldn't do it for anyone, no way, no how. His tone is kind of interesting, it's a mix of admiration and respect for Bill meshed with desparaging. It really feels like he thought Russ was a great player but didn't really particularly care for him. He goes on to talk about how Russell hated practice and would just sit in the bleachers through it sometimes.

Also talks about Wilt in a very negative manner; pretty much refers to him as a stat player, individualistic, who made those around him worse. He ends the chapter by saying something like "Wilt got the scoring records, but Bill got 11 championships in 13 years, and it's not by chance." Basically saying he'd take Russ all day every day in a landslide over Wilt.

Pretty interesting stuff. You guys should give it a read if you get a chance someday.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: I'm just reading Cooz's book right now.

Maybe I should just change the title of this thread to "OMG teh top t10n players nu list," because obviously making a thoughtful thread with some interesting observations from a Hall of Famer doesn't tickle anyone's fancy on this ste.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
Mikaiel
Shoot it Boobie !!!

Mikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputationMikaiel has a terrific reputation

Next time put Kobe or Bron in the title of the thread. You'll get more responses.
Mikaiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Is it a good read because you're a Celtics fan or because you're a basketball fan?

Just wondering because my parents usually get me a couple sports books for Christmas and I need to tell them which ones to get.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I kinda remember a little Cousy/Wilt rivalry from back when Wilt implied that Guy Rodgers was better than him in the early 90s in some interview.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by statman32
Is it a good read because you're a Celtics fan or because you're a basketball fan?

Just wondering because my parents usually get me a couple sports books for Christmas and I need to tell them which ones to get.
Best basketball book ever is Connie Hawkins book "Foul"
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #7
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Best basketball book ever is Connie Hawkins book "Foul"
Never heard about it.. What's it about and how old is it?
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #8
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ive not read it but I have to assume its about how Connie got banned from the league over a college gambling operation he had nothing to do with.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #9
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Never heard about it.. What's it about and how old is it?
It's good trust me. It's about his life, how he was falsely accused in the 1961 point shaving scandal. About his stay in the ABL, the ABA and his famous streetball battles with the greats.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #10
ShamRockStar
High school junior varsity star

ShamRockStar has an OK reputation so far

Russell probably didn't like Cooz either, seems like he would be a black panther member.

He got a house in an all white suburban town north of Boston, and some racist broke in and took a crap on his bed, he was not received as well as he should of been. He had that incident in St. Louis where he sat out the game after the hotel refused to let the black celtic players eat in the hotel restaurant, and he talks about it in an emotional way.
ShamRockStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #11
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

Quote:

Ask them for Loose Balls by Terry Pluto, it's an oral history of the ABA, one of the best basketball books I've read in awhile.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:10 PM   #12
Black Joker
NBA rookie of the year

Black Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBlack Joker is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
Ask them for Loose Balls by Terry Pluto, it's an oral history of the ABA, one of the best basketball books I've read in awhile.
really good book, i got it for Christmas a couple years ago.
Black Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:35 AM   #13
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
That's the thing...I bought it because I'm a C's fan, and it's mostly about Auerbach, Russ, and other various Boston-related chapters, some of the asides (like the ones I mentioned) are pretty damn cool.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:41 AM   #14
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
"On the Mystique of the Celtics" or something like that. It's a pretty cool read, if only for his asides. There's one about Al Bianci, who was an assistant coach on Phoenix in '76, who has a championship ring that says "Suns 1976 World Champions" and then engraved on the inside it reads, "Fuck you, Richie Powers," who was reffing one of those games and when Silas called for a timeout with none left he didn't give it to him because it was OT and he wanted the game to end the right way and not on a tech FT, and Boston ended up winning the game and the series in 7. I had to laugh because it would just be like a Phoenix fan around here to get a faux championship ring made up.

Other stuff I found interesting was when he's talking about Russell and how he was just a deuchebag when it came to signing autographs...wouldn't do it for anyone, no way, no how. His tone is kind of interesting, it's a mix of admiration and respect for Bill meshed with desparaging. It really feels like he thought Russ was a great player but didn't really particularly care for him. He goes on to talk about how Russell hated practice and would just sit in the bleachers through it sometimes.

Also talks about Wilt in a very negative manner; pretty much refers to him as a stat player, individualistic, who made those around him worse. He ends the chapter by saying something like "Wilt got the scoring records, but Bill got 11 championships in 13 years, and it's not by chance." Basically saying he'd take Russ all day every day in a landslide over Wilt.

Pretty interesting stuff. You guys should give it a read if you get a chance someday.
I hear about that but Russell explains himself on this subject. He said he neve felt the need to give out autographs cause it was just words, he said he's rather spend time with the fans then just signing paper left and right and not even see that person. And it wasn't just fans, he never game autographs to his teammate or his family/teammates family.

I remember Tommy Heinsohn said he tried to get Bill do give his kid an autograph. Bill said no and Tommy got made. He then said, "Bill it's me Tommy, not some fan" Russ then said "I know, but you and you r kid know me, so what do you need an autograph for."
Old 12-20-2007, 03:35 PM   #15
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Cooz's point of view was that you HAVE to make exceptions on these sort of things sometimes. He talks about one time whe Tommy John asked Bill in front of a bunch of people, was turned down, and he was crestfallen.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: