Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 12-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
Smokee
Banned

Smokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Anybody running Crysis or the new Unreal Tournament on PC?

I ended up getting Gears of War for PC today, wanted to get Crysis or UT but the guy at the store told me i couldnt run either unless i had a brand new top of the line computer.

Is anyone able to play either of these games with an average computer? even at lower settings? the guy told me they dont play well at lower settings either which sounds crazy.

I havent opened the box yet but i'm reluctant to since GoW is a year old. I have a 7800GT videocard and like a 3800+AMD dual core processor with 2GB of memory. And the guy said that couldnt run it.

Anyone want to verify or say otherwise? Damn i really wanted to get one of those 2 new games instead of settling for GoW
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
*Kobe Mark*
I hit open 5-footers

*Kobe Mark* has decent reputation
Default Re: Anybody running Crysis or the new Unreal Tournament on PC?

Sorry i can't really help you on this one but one thing I could say with the ram memory is that I could run and have played UT3 on my desktop. I only have 1GB of ram memory. My video card ain't that great either. Im getting a new laptop that's gonna blow away the competition.
*Kobe Mark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

Don't know about UT3 but Crysis should run on that rig, graphics card may be the only issue, especially if you are stupid enough to be running Vista.

I can't tell you for certain, but it should run on the lower settings. From all I've heard Crysis is actually very good at downgrading itself to run on weaker machines, it just won't look as good. The CPU and RAM will be fine for it, especially in XP.

Did GoW work? That thing is similarly CPU hungry as Crysis. Think it has to do with being a port from the 360 which requires some inefficient programming in order to maximise it's appearance on what is effectively a weak PC. I have a copy but just haven't found the time yet to play GoW so I can't compare how it runs against Crysis.

IN SHORT... Crysis should run well enough on that, graphics card is your only concern.
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Smokee
Banned

Smokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected posterSmokee is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
Don't know about UT3 but Crysis should run on that rig, graphics card may be the only issue, especially if you are stupid enough to be running Vista.

I can't tell you for certain, but it should run on the lower settings. From all I've heard Crysis is actually very good at downgrading itself to run on weaker machines, it just won't look as good. The CPU and RAM will be fine for it, especially in XP.

Did GoW work? That thing is similarly CPU hungry as Crysis. Think it has to do with being a port from the 360 which requires some inefficient programming in order to maximise it's appearance on what is effectively a weak PC. I have a copy but just haven't found the time yet to play GoW so I can't compare how it runs against Crysis.

IN SHORT... Crysis should run well enough on that, graphics card is your only concern.

thx man, it didnt seem right that i wouldnt be able to run Crysis at lower settings and be able to play it. I mean i know my computer is abit old, but not that old.

I havent even opened GoW yet, and i'm not sure if i'm going to right now or return it for Crysis now that you said that. Damn PC games and not being able to return once you open them, even if your pc is too weak :p
Old 12-20-2007, 01:18 AM   #5
WoGiTaLiA1
Local High School Star

WoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputationWoGiTaLiA1 has decent reputation

If you are running XP you will be fine, not sure how Crysis runs in Vista, but if it is like the majority, it may push your PC to it's absolute limits but you should be fairly comfortable on the lowest settings. Might want to consider upgrading that graphics card though in the near future or you are going to run into some troubles. I have a 7950 that is in serious need of upgrading so the 7800 might struggle :)
WoGiTaLiA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:09 AM   #6
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

I am running UT3 on a rig much weaker than yours. I also ran Crysis demo and that worked fine. My rig is AMD Athy 4000+ single Core, 2 GB Ram and GeoForce 6800GT. Most of the time those gamestop/bestbuy types don't know ****. Naturally you won't be running the graphics at full. I run 1080x768 res which is acceptable imo, and the games look/run fine after a bit of tweaking.

If in doubt DL the demos and run them on your PC.

Also try this website: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
Smokee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoGiTaLiA1
If you are running XP you will be fine, not sure how Crysis runs in Vista, but if it is like the majority, it may push your PC to it's absolute limits but you should be fairly comfortable on the lowest settings. Might want to consider upgrading that graphics card though in the near future or you are going to run into some troubles. I have a 7950 that is in serious need of upgrading so the 7800 might struggle :)

my bad i didnt mention what OS i'm using..i'm using Windows XP Media Edition. I did install GoW last night btw but barely played it since i did it kind of late night, just had to update a driver to get it to work. It seems ok, only very slight issue i had was a little bit of barely noticeable slowdown but thats really about it so far from liike 15 min's of play...
Old 12-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
Smokee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
I am running UT3 on a rig much weaker than yours. I also ran Crysis demo and that worked fine. My rig is AMD Athy 4000+ single Core, 2 GB Ram and GeoForce 6800GT. Most of the time those gamestop/bestbuy types don't know ****. Naturally you won't be running the graphics at full. I run 1080x768 res which is acceptable imo, and the games look/run fine after a bit of tweaking.

If in doubt DL the demos and run them on your PC.

Also try this website: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

damnit that sucks. I really should've gotten UT, Crysis at least, than GoW if all 3 worked
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: