Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-20-2007, 10:55 PM   #1
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Steroids in Basketball.

I'm surprise noone has brought this up yet.

I don't know much about the drug testing in basketball, but if they're not testing for steroids, then we're screwed. Half of the players have steroids written all over them (Greg Oden anyone?).

What are your thoughts on this issue. Would you still support your favorite player if he uses steroids?
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Steroids in Basketball.

yes I brought it up a week ago after the Mitchell Report was released. quite a few replies on it. but it kind of died down. but I suppose you are too lazy to use the brilliant search feature set up on this forum eh?
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
eeeeeebro
Decent college freshman

eeeeeebro has decent reputationeeeeeebro has decent reputation

i dont believe steroids are used in basketball. i have a list of reasons

1. Basketball players rely on flexability steroids bulk you up to limit that.
2. there are so many ways to improve besides steroids (Basketball iq)
3. If you take steroids it could mess up the mechanics of your jump shot. I personaly have a very good jump shot i can shoot about 50% from 3 point on my basketball court. It is very important to have a smooth jump shot that does not change.
4. The only thing that needs more strength would be legs and well legs are already strong hell i can squat 400 LBS im sure nba players can squat like 800 lbs.

There are so many athletes that try to get into the NBA only the natural gifted get in long flexable pure bread people. Baseball is a different story the stronger you are the harder you hit. The harder you throw. Its not about that here bud =)

Off topic (Durant could use some steroids lol)
eeeeeebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeeeebro
i dont believe steroids are used in basketball. i have a list of reasons

1. Basketball players rely on flexability steroids bulk you up to limit that.
2. there are so many ways to improve besides steroids (Basketball iq)
3. If you take steroids it could mess up the mechanics of your jump shot. I personaly have a very good jump shot i can shoot about 50% from 3 point on my basketball court. It is very important to have a smooth jump shot that does not change.
4. The only thing that needs more strength would be legs and well legs are already strong hell i can squat 400 LBS im sure nba players can squat like 800 lbs.

There are so many athletes that try to get into the NBA only the natural gifted get in long flexable pure bread people. Baseball is a different story the stronger you are the harder you hit. The harder you throw. Its not about that here bud =)

Off topic (Durant could use some steroids lol)

roids are not only used to bulk up. they can be used to maintain strength and increase recovery time from injury and the daily grind. plus if used properly they will NOT screw up your shot. You really seem to know little about them. (which is technically a good thing)

I wouldnt be shocked if a good chunk of the L was on some type of banned stimulant. (pot not included :) )
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Noone answered my question yet: are we testing for steroids?

If not, then I am almost sure some of the guys are using steroids.

If big name players in baseball like Bonds and Clemens are bulking up, then it makes sense basketball is doing the same thing since most of the guys are getting way bigger when compare to the guys of the past.

I fear for the future of the sport. The house is going to crumble sooner or later.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

The problem I have with assuming that is that there's no smoking gun so to speak. The only thing that really leads any of us to believe that illegal performance enhancing drugs are being used in the NBA are that they're used in other sports. I mean, players have been suspended for drug use, but nothing as come up on that end, so it just seems like paranoia at this point.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:18 PM   #7
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
Noone answered my question yet: are we testing for steroids?

If not, then I am almost sure some of the guys are using steroids.

If big name players in baseball like Bonds and Clemens are bulking up, then it makes sense basketball is doing the same thing since most of the guys are getting way bigger when compare to the guys of the past.

I fear for the future of the sport. The house is going to crumble sooner or later.

you're either Bob Costas or Curt Schilling. i havent figured out which celebrity poster you are yet but i have it down to those 2.
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:19 PM   #8
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve
The problem I have with assuming that is that there's no smoking gun so to speak. The only thing that really leads any of us to believe that illegal performance enhancing drugs are being used in the NBA are that they're used in other sports. I mean, players have been suspended for drug use, but nothing as come up on that end, so it just seems like paranoia at this point.

Not really.

There are legitimate reasons to believe they are using it.

1. Players started bulking up around the same time as the baseball steroids era (94-96).

2. Some players look way too big for their age and size (Oden, Lebron), and if you look at Shaq before he enter the NBA he was as puny as a stick. There's no way someone could get that big in that short amount of time.

Shaq = Barry Bonds
Old 12-20-2007, 11:21 PM   #9
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Nuggets3
you're either Bob Costas or Curt Schilling. i havent figured out which celebrity poster you are yet but i have it down to those 2.

Again, I reiterate my stance: if we're not testing for roids, WE'RE SCREWED.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:26 PM   #10
steve

steve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this boardsteve is popular on this board

Quote:
Not really.

1. Players started bulking up around the same time as the baseball steroids era (94-96).

2. Some players look way too big for their age and size (Oden, Lebron), and if you look at Shaq before he enter the NBA he was as puny as a stick. There's no way someone could get that big in that short amount of time.

Shaq = Barry Bonds
That's the best argument you can come up with. Shaq was 285 lbs when he entered the league, that's hardly puny. And when he started to "bulk up" he was gaining weight and losing a lot of definition in his body, not too mention he was getting injured at a more regular basis (due to his weight gain) and not recovering very fast at all, which is the exact opposite of what would happen if he was using steroids.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #11
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Showtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation hereShowtime has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
roids are not only used to bulk up. they can be used to maintain strength and increase recovery time from injury and the daily grind. plus if used properly they will NOT screw up your shot. You really seem to know little about them. (which is technically a good thing)

I wouldnt be shocked if a good chunk of the L was on some type of banned stimulant. (pot not included :) )
HGH is used to recover from inuries, but anabolic steriods increase strength and muscle mass.

Basketball isn't really a sport where strength is neccessary, since contact is so limited to begin with. Football, on the other hand, is the exact opposite. IMO, the NFL is rampant with steriod and HGH use, but not many people care. Nobody is treating Merriman like these baseball players.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #12
gabeh1018
Good High School Starter

gabeh1018 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Not really.

Shaq = Barry Bonds

sounds like the media, making assumptions without warrant

gabeh1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:38 PM   #13
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeh1018
sounds like the media, making assumptions without warrant

Assumptions?

Hardly.

It's a legitimate argument.

The fact we are not testing for steroids increases the chances of players using them by 200% due to many of them "bulking up" faster than usual.

Come up with a better reason for this. As is, this is the most logical argument I see considering NBA players are bulking up around the same time as the baseball steroids era.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:41 PM   #14
Make It Rain
Banned

Make It Rain has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
yes I brought it up a week ago after the Mitchell Report was released. quite a few replies on it. but it kind of died down. but I suppose you are too lazy to use the brilliant search feature set up on this forum eh?
There's a brilliant search feature? Last I checked it was a cheap, piece-of-crap, google-powered search feature.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:46 PM   #15
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

The NBA does have a drug testing policy. Remember when they kicked Soumala Samake out of the league
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: