Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Kwame - Why?

When the Lakers traded for Kwame, they had an option on his 3rd year. So, the question I have for ya'all is why did the Lakers pick up his 3rd year option so quickly???

Any thoughts? I would think for optimum maneuverability (and the possibility that he would completly suck and his market value would drop), they should have waited.

So, whats the deal?
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
When the Lakers traded for Kwame, they had an option on his 3rd year. So, the question I have for ya'all is why did the Lakers pick up his 3rd year option so quickly???

Any thoughts? I would think for optimum maneuverability (and the possibility that he would completly suck and his market value would drop), they should have waited.

So, whats the deal?

I think they planned on making him a 3 year project...when they got him they knew he was still a project and that he still needed time to develop...plus picking up the 3rd option give him a sense of security and we all know whta happens to kwame when theirs pressure and his confidence wouldnt be so high...hes a guy who rely on confidence and picking up the 3rd option provides some reassurance that they are giving him a chance...i also think they were just hoping that he would turn things around and not be a bust...somewhat risky but players need to know that they are going to be there if they want to be able to play at their highest level...
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
SoCalMike

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ok, fair enough explanation, but thats an $8M gamble???

Is this Cupcakes doing?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:14 PM   #4
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Ok, fair enough explanation, but thats an $8M gamble???

Is this Cupcakes doing?

probably yes this is cupcake...but $8M is what you would have to pay an athletic big man like kwame based on the market of players out their...tyson chandler, sam dalembert, eddy curry...all players who have yet to really prove they can be consisitent big men but making $10M+ a year...im just glad we didnt sign him to a 5 or 6 year contract
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:53 PM   #5
Ryansrams
I hit open 5-footers

Ryansrams has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

So, whats the deal?
Hang in there with Kwame, trust me I was cussing him out early last year. The last 2-3 months he showed his upside and he has the potential to be 2 types of players. 1. A guy who gives you 17-18 pts and 9-10rebs and solid defense.2 Or a guy who never finds offense and is scrappy and gives 10-12pts 11-12boards and is known around the league for his defense. He has all the physical capabilities to fit one of these types.Personally I think the Lakers would benifit for the scrappy type.
Ryansrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:56 PM   #6
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansrams
Hang in there with Kwame, trust me I was cussing him out early last year. The last 2-3 months he showed his upside and he has the potential to be 2 types of players. 1. A guy who gives you 17-18 pts and 9-10rebs and solid defense.2 Or a guy who never finds offense and is scrappy and gives 10-12pts 11-12boards and is known around the league for his defense. He has all the physical capabilities to fit one of these types.Personally I think the Lakers would benifit for the scrappy type.

Oh, hold up... I am not saying Kwame sucks yet... what I am saying is that it might have been an $8M error to sign him to a third year and I was wondering why the Lakers did it.

Somone pointed out that it could have been the "secure feeling" that Kwame needed to grow. I guess thats possible.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:08 AM   #7
Ryansrams
I hit open 5-footers

Ryansrams has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Oh, hold up... I am not saying Kwame sucks yet... what I am saying is that it might have been an $8M error to sign him to a third year and I was wondering why the Lakers did it.

Somone pointed out that it could have been the "secure feeling" that Kwame needed to grow. I guess thats possible.
Thats a good point he has a real fragile mindset which will hopefully change with maturity and growth on the court. He is in the right enviroment and he has enough good people around him which in effect should make him work harder than any summer before. Advise for Kwame when your with in five feet from the rim as dumb--- Walton would say throw it down big man. I had enough missed layups from him to last a lifetime.
Ryansrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:14 AM   #8
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansrams
Advise for Kwame when your with in five feet from the rim as dumb--- Walton would say throw it down big man. I had enough missed layups from him to last a lifetime.

Oh no... Big Bill quotes... haha
Old 07-31-2006, 01:37 AM   #9
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I dont think there is much of a gamble. There are only 2 centers that averaged 20 ppg last season that was Yao and Either Duncan or shaq.

Kwame Will average about 14 next season making him one of the top centers in scoring and his defense will continue to be a reason to keep him around.

Frankly I think he is getting paid just the right amount.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:39 AM   #10
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Centers are getting really expensive nowadays. by the lakers picking up the third year option, they killed two birds with one stone. 1) kwame felt safe and secure that hes there to play. 2) Lakers kept an athletic center who defends/rebounds well at a relatively good price. Moreover, he may need time to develop into something
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:42 AM   #11
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I am just waiting to see him blow up this season. Dunks, Dunks and more Dunks.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:45 AM   #12
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak

me too. i dont know if its just me but he looks hungry to win. he wants to become better and he just seems alot more excited about playing than when he was in washington
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:54 AM   #13
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak

The eternal optimist.... I hope you are right!
Old 07-31-2006, 12:47 PM   #14
dblockallstars
High school junior varsity star

dblockallstars has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

I think they did it cuz Mitch was dead set on doing the 2 yr plan thing and wait for Grant's contract to expire, which would also be when Kwame's would expire so we'd have cap room to sign a max player like Yao or Stoudemire who could both either played out their rookie contract or signed max extensions. When they both signed max extensions, there was no reason to keep that pipedream alive b/c there wouldn't be another free agent big man who could take us to the next level, so we exercised his option and gave radman big money and are trying to win now!
dblockallstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:52 PM   #15
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblockallstars
I think they did it cuz Mitch was dead set on doing the 2 yr plan thing and wait for Grant's contract to expire, which would also be when Kwame's would expire so we'd have cap room to sign a max player like Yao or Stoudemire who could both either played out their rookie contract or signed max extensions. When they both signed max extensions, there was no reason to keep that pipedream alive b/c there wouldn't be another free agent big man who could take us to the next level, so we exercised his option and gave radman big money and are trying to win now!

This brings up another interesting comment... if you have a strategy on how to acquire a top player (i.e. the 2 year plan), why the heck would you publically advertise it? Anyone wonder why Amare and Yao were so quickly locked up?

I always that that it was just plain stupid for the Lakers management to let that one out. It should have been team confidential only....

Imagine if corporations acted like that?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: