Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 AM   #1
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far
Default New Mock Draft

I feel like I have picked apart Marny's Mock Draft enough, so I should just post my own. I did the first round based on ESPN.com's most updated standings, and I just copied NBAdraft.net's second round order.

I want to say first off that people won't agree with my Seattle picks, but I think they are building this team with offense because that is what is winning games in the NBA right now.

I have no clue what New York will do. I would not be half surprised to see them take a guy like Gallinari or Arthur.

1. Minnesota-Michael Beasley-Need a forward more than a guard

2. Miami-Derrick Rose-PG is their biggest need and Rose is the best player available

3. Memphis-DeAndre Jordan-2nd worst defense in NBA, but take the best big man available

4. New York-Eric Gordon-As they look to turn the corner, they take the best guard available

5. Seattle-O.J. Mayo-Need another scorer to go with Durant despite potential chemistry issues

6. LA Clippers-Jerryd Bayless-Need to find Cassell’s replacement

7. Milwaukee-Nicolas Batum-Need to take a risk and hope to find a #2 scorer

8. Sacramento-Donte Greene-Worst rebounding team in the NBA, average on offense and defense, Greene helps with all three

9. Charlotte-Kosta Koufos-Need help scoring and have a hole in the middle even with Okafor

10. Chicago-Danilo Gallinari-Position of least need, but need to find some scoring

11. Cleveland-Chase Budinger-Need backcourt scoring badly

12. Philadelphia-Brook Lopez-Inside scoring is a must if this team wants to get to the next level

13. Houston-Raymar Morgan-Need someone to run for thier offense to work

14. Utah-Roy Hibbert-Need another interior presence

15. New Jersey-Darrell Arthur-A young athlete for the future if they choose to part with Kidd

16. Indiana-Darren Collison-Instant impact backup PG that brings some of the defense they need

17. Washington-D.J. Augustin-Undersized, but could help Arenas run the offense a little more efficiently

18. Toronto-Earl Clark-Solid, young, and deep team, they just take the best player available

19. Phoenix from Atlanta-Tyler Hansbrough-Doesn’t need the ball to impact the game

20. Portland-Serge Ibaka-Will get help with Oden coming back, but take a chance on a young big man just in case

21. Golden State-DeVon Hardin-Local guy can run with this team and help them on defense

22. Denver-Hasheem Thabeet-A shotblocker for Camby to teach

23. LA Lakers-Joe Alexander-A safe pick that can play defense and score some

24. New Orleans-Andrew Ogilvy-Could use an extra big man to back up Chandler

25. Dallas-Jason Thompson-Still could use some help next to Dirk

26. Orlando-Tyler Smith-Some help on the wing will only help

27. Seattle from Phoenix-Jamont Gordon-NBA is about scoring right now, and Gordon brings another potential threat

28. San Antonio-Brandon Rush-Somewhat surprising pick, but they need youth on the wing

29. Detroit-Nikola Pekovic-Rasheed and McDyess are not getting any younger

30. Boston-Ante Tomic-Can’t hurt grabbing a 7-1 guy at this point

31. Minnesota-Rodrigue Beaubois
32. Miami-Semih Erden
33. Memphis-Bryce Taylor
34. New York-Richard Hendrix
35. Seattle-Josh Heytvelt
36. LA Clippers-Chris Douglas-Roberts
37. Milwaukee-Nathan Jawai
38. Charlotte-Bill Walker
39. Sacramento-John Riek
40. Chicago-D.J. White
41. Philadelphia-Shan Foster
42. Cleveland-Goran Dragic
43. Houston-Joey Dorsey
44. Utah-Kyle Weaver
45. New Jersey-Trent Plaisted
46. Indiana-Predrag Samardziski
47. Washington-Geary Claxton
48. Toronto-Omer Asik
49. Atlanta-Taj Gibson
50. Portland-Tyrese Rice
51. Golden State-Malik Hairston
52. Denver-Marcelus Kemp
53. LA Lakers-Longar Longar
54. Dallas-Aleks Maric
55. New Orleans-Sean Singletary
56. Orlando-Robert Vaden
57. Phoenix-Richard Roby
58. San Antonio-Maarty Leunen
59. Detroit-DeMarcus Nelson
60. Boston-Gary Forbes

Last edited by monthh : 01-02-2008 at 02:10 AM.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: New Mock Draft

Brook Lopez? No thanks
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
I feel like I have picked apart Marny's Mock Draft enough, so I should just post my own. I did the first round based on ESPN.com's most updated standings, and I just copied NBAdraft.net's second round order.

I want to say first off that people won't agree with my Seattle picks, but I think they are building this team with offense because that is what is winning games in the NBA right now.

I have no clue what New York will do. I would not be half surprised to see them take a guy like Gallinari or Arthur.

1. Minnesota-Michael Beasley-Need a forward more than a guard
I have started to lean towards Beasley with this pick. You've been right with your point that they have very little talent, and grabbing Beasley is probably their best option right now. And if he does become a problem, heck, trade him to the Knicks somewhere down the line.
2. Miami-Derrick Rose-PG is their biggest need and Rose is the best player available
It's a tossup between Rose and Jordan for me here, but Rose has the talent, he's more of a sure thing, and I'm waiting on Earl Barron to see if he can be a full-time starter in the future.
3. Memphis-DeAndre Jordan-2nd worst defense in NBA, but take the best big man available
I agree 100% with this pick. Center's the main need for the Grizzlies, they're a young team, and this is a good piece for them to grow with. Trading Pau and maybe acquiring another first round pick wouldn't be a bad idea, IMO.
4. New York-Eric Gordon-As they look to turn the corner, they take the best guard available
As much as I hate to say this, seeing as who's picking next, this is a good pick. Mayo will just prolong the chemistry issues on the team, and I think Gordon could be a consistent 22-25 ppg scorer in the future. My only beef with him is size, but you don't get much more with Mayo.
5. Seattle-O.J. Mayo-Need another scorer to go with Durant despite potential chemistry issues
Ugh. Not mad at the quality of the pick, just mad that Seattle's stuck with Mayo. God, I hope they trade down if he's the last 1st tier guy available. I'm almost ready to just draft Bayless ahead of him. I hate Mayo as much as nbadraft.net does, and I sure as hell hope the Sonics don't take him. They probably would, though, just for marketing in their new city.
6. LA Clippers-Jerryd Bayless-Need to find Cassell’s replacement
I think I've had Bayless going to L.A. in one or two of my mocks. My only problem is that if Livingston comes back and performs well, what'll become of Bayless? This guy's pretty close to the first tier, however, and most of the other guys in his tier are projects, IMO. This kid can score, and he'd be a good piece for the Clippers to build with.
7. Milwaukee-Nicolas Batum-Need to take a risk and hope to find a #2 scorer
I do like this pick, and it could pay dividends down the future. Batum's a young kid who will take a while to develop, but I think he could be something special in a few years. Batum-Yi would be a great foreign combo for the future, and if Bogut can at least be a consistent, solid center down low and grab rebounds, then I could see Milwaukee make some pushes for the Eastern Conference Championship. I wouldn't argue with Greene here, either.
8. Sacramento-Donte Greene-Worst rebounding team in the NBA, average on offense and defense, Greene helps with all three
This is a good pick. He's a tall kid, can hit shots, and he's young and will grow with his teammates. He will help with rebounding and will be a good second option to Kevin Martin. He was at once #3 on nbadraft.net, so he might potentially be a tier one player, and at #8, that's a steal.
9. Charlotte-Kosta Koufos-Need help scoring and have a hole in the middle even with Okafor
I haven't seen much of Koufos, but nbadraft.net compares him to Mehmet Okur. If that's the case, then this is both good and bad for Charlotte. It's good because he can stretch the floor and get some points outside of the other four guys. The bad part is he probably isn't much of a rebounder or defender, probably has very little athleticism, and won't be much of a help to Okafor outside of offense. I would consider trading down or maybe even reaching on Darrell Arthur or Brook Lopez.
10. Chicago-Danilo Gallinari-Position of least need, but need to find some scoring
I haven't ever seen this kid play, so I really don't have much insight on this pick. Hibbert wouldn't be a bad choice here, and he'd improve the inside scoring just a little bit, but I don't see him as anything too much better than Aaron Gray. Arthur could be a solid choice, and he sort of fits in with the whole 'great college alumni' thing the Bulls have going on, but he doesn't bring much more to the table in terms of inside scoring than anyone else. Maybe if Brook Lopez can impress people in his second semester, he could find a role on the Bulls roster. Gallinari's probably a good player though, and isn't he a good shooter? Would he bring anything more to the table that Noce already doesn't?
11. Cleveland-Chase Budinger-Need backcourt scoring badly
This is a potentially good pick, seeing as LeBron doesn't have a big-time sidekick to work with. Boobie can hit threes, but I don't think he's a good enough 2nd option on offense. Budinger can handle the ball, which is helpful seeing as James and Gibson are good shooters, and Budinger can knock down shots himself. If Bud can average 15 or more ppg, I consider this pick a success.
12. Philadelphia-Brook Lopez-Inside scoring is a must if this team wants to get to the next level
Lopez looks like a tough guy to me, but Darrell Arthur's athleticism really impresses me. I'd be willing to draft him and look for an inside scorer somewhere else down the line. Arthur-Dalembert could become one of the most athletic inside duos in the league. Lopez is probably the last shot at getting an inside scorer that Philly's got, but Arthur would be a great piece to add to Philadelphia's squad, IMO.
13. Houston-Raymar Morgan-Need someone to run for thier offense to work
Isn't Morgan the highest scorer in the Big Ten? I don't know much about him, but he's 6'7 and 210 lbs, so he's got some good size on the perimeter. Houston's looking for an athletic guy on the wing, so this would probably be a good way to go.
14. Utah-Roy Hibbert-Need another interior presence
Hibbert would fit in with Utah's slow offense, and he could at least get them another quality backup that could start when needed. He's also got a soft touch on his shot, and isn't a 'me' player. He wouldn't bring much of a dropoff from Okur except shooting range. I'd consider this a steal here.
15. New Jersey-Darrell Arthur-A young athlete for the future if they choose to part with Kidd
Finally Arthur gets drafted, although I understand he's young and raw, and might not be worth getting drafted as high as I would have put him. A lot of athleticism between Arthur and Sean Williams, and then there's Krstic and Boone coming off the bench. New Jersey still doesn't have a great low-post scorer, but they won't find that here. They at least get someone who could potentially start and be part of the rotation.
16. Indiana-Darren Collison-Instant impact backup PG that brings some of the defense they need
Despite catzhernandez's scoffs at Indiana drafting a backup PG, I think this is a good pick at 16. Talent is getting worse, yet they manage to get a guy who will probably be the starting PG when Tinsley makes his dropoff.
17. Washington-D.J. Augustin-Undersized, but could help Arenas run the offense a little more efficiently
5'11" is pretty small, but this pick could be a steal here, and they need some depth at guard. It's worth the gamble here.
18. Toronto-Earl Clark-Solid, young, and deep team, they just take the best player available
I think Toronto needs more of an inside presence, but no one available really gives them much of that, so turning to depth on the wing is a good option, and Clark will probably become a starter eventually.
19. Phoenix from Atlanta-Tyler Hansbrough-Doesn’t need the ball to impact the game
Good impact player here, although he's not the quickest guy in the world. Hardin could go here, but Hans gives someone to do the dirty work in Phoenix. I think they'll treasure this investment in a few years.
20. Portland-Serge Ibaka-Will get help with Oden coming back, but take a chance on a young big man just in case
Hell, why not take a potential pick here? Portland'll probably have the most dominant D-League team with all the young talent they have, and if this kid can develop into something nice, they could keep him or trade him away to fill in a potential hole.
21. Golden State-DeVon Hardin-Local guy can run with this team and help them on defense
Great pick, and Hardin's athleticism will help Golden State. Hardin-Biedrins isn't the greatist starting duo in the post, but it's better than what they've got currently. At 21, this is a value pick.
22. Denver-Hasheem Thabeet-A shotblocker for Camby to teach
Great reach right here, and if he can come anywhere close to Camby, then this is a steal.
23. LA Lakers-Joe Alexander-A safe pick that can play defense and score some
I don't know this kid.
24. New Orleans-Andrew Ogilvy-Could use an extra big man to back up Chandler
Good passing big man here could potentially be a steal.
25. Dallas-Jason Thompson-Still could use some help next to Dirk
Isn't this that Rider kid? Seems pretty tall, and maybe he'll be a steal.
26. Orlando-Tyler Smith-Some help on the wing will only help
Yep, Orlando needs to get some depth. Quality pick.
27. Seattle from Phoenix-Jamont Gordon-NBA is about scoring right now, and Gordon brings another potential threat
Don't know him either.
28. San Antonio-Brandon Rush-Somewhat surprising pick, but they need youth on the wing
Great pick, he'll give San Antonio some potential and another Kansas man with Langford. I LOVE THIS!!!
29. Detroit-Nikola Pekovic-Rasheed and McDyess are not getting any younger
Who?
30. Boston-Ante Tomic-Can’t hurt grabbing a 7-1 guy at this point
Yeah, what the heck.

31. Minnesota-Rodrigue Beaubois
32. Miami-Semih Erden
33. Memphis-Bryce Taylor
34. New York-Richard Hendrix
35. Seattle-Josh Heytvelt
36. LA Clippers-Chris Douglas-Roberts
37. Milwaukee-Nathan Jawai
38. Charlotte-Bill Walker
39. Sacramento-John Riek
40. Chicago-D.J. White
41. Philadelphia-Shan Foster
42. Cleveland-Goran Dragic
43. Houston-Joey Dorsey
44. Utah-Kyle Weaver
45. New Jersey-Trent Plaisted
46. Indiana-Predrag Samardziski
47. Washington-Geary Claxton
48. Toronto-Omer Asik
49. Atlanta-Taj Gibson
50. Portland-Tyrese Rice
51. Golden State-Malik Hairston
52. Denver-Marcelus Kemp
53. LA Lakers-Longar Longar
54. Dallas-Aleks Maric
55. New Orleans-Sean Singletary
56. Orlando-Robert Vaden
57. Phoenix-Richard Roby
58. San Antonio-Maarty Leunen
59. Detroit-DeMarcus Nelson
60. Boston-Gary Forbes

I knew nothing about the end of the draft, so my comments were limited.

By the way, I'm the same as Marny in case you didn't know. I came out as him a few days ago but I doubt anyone remembers.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
monthh
Local High School Star

This is another mock draft. I used RealGM's lottery thing to get the top 3. Usually I do it only once and go with it, but Houston got the #1 pick, so I did it again.

1. LA Clippers-Derrick Rose-Replacements in the backcourt is their biggest need

2. Seattle-Michael Beasley-Tough pick because they have good forwards, but the potential is too much to pass up

3. Miami-DeAndre Jordan-This is the perfect time to find Shaq’s replacement

4. Minnesota-Eric Gordon-Already have a wealth of young guards, this pick may be dealt if they miss out on Rose, Beasley, and Jordan

5. Memphis-O.J. Mayo-Get a natural go-to scorer to help Conley in the backcourt

6. New York-Jerryd Bayless-The worst passing team in the NBA gets some much needed help at the point

7. Charlotte-Darrell Arthur-Trying to piece together a starter next to Okafor won’t get them many wins, Arthur helps that effort

8. Philadelphia-Donte Greene-This team has a lot of holes and potential trades in the works, they just try to take the best player available at this point

9. Sacramento-Nicolas Batum-Have a great young backcourt core, and Hawes at center, so a young forward is a need

10. Chicago-Brook Lopez-Some changes seem to be coming, a gifted center never hurts your future

11. Milwaukee-Chase Budinger-Need to try to find another scorer to get out of their mediocrity

12. Indiana-Darren Collison-Defense and turnovers seem to be an issue with the Pacers, Collison should help shore up both

13. Houston-Danilo Gallinari-Hope to find an offensive sparkplug to keep the scoring droughts to a minimum

14. Utah-Roy Hibbert-Have solid young core, but a backup center looks to be a need

15. Phoenix from Atlanta-D.J. Augustine-Another playoff flameout could bring changes, but no matter what, Augustine is a steal this late

16. New Jersey-JaVale McGee-Despite striking gold with Sean Williams, this team still needs some help inside

17. Cleveland-Raymar Morgan-Need more efficient offense, and dunks from Morgan will help

18. Toronto-Serge Ibaka-Bosh will need help rebounding and defending down low if this team wants to get to the next level

19. Washington-Tyler Hansbrough-Need a true PG on the roster, but with none worth this pick they grab Hansbrough to help his fellow UNC guys inside

20. Golden State-DeVon Hardin-Really the perfect fit as they need another big man, and they want to continue to run

21. Orlando-Joe Alexander-Need bench help anywhere they can get it, and Alexander should be able to give them minutes from day 1

22. Portland-Jason Thompson-Just seems like a good fit not knowing how Oden will recover

23. Denver-Jamont Gordon-A solid team overall, but Iverson is not getting any younger, Gordon could help him rest some

24. New Orleans-Hasheem Thabeet-This is drafting 100% on need, but they do need help blocking some shots

25. San Antonio-Andrew Ogilvy-Won’t play for a couple years, but he has more potential than any big man San Antonio has drafted since Duncan

26. LA Lakers-Ryan Anderson-Have a lot of forwards coming up to FA years, Anderson won’t be great, but he can help fill some losses with good shooting, rebounding, and inside scoring

27. Seattle from Phoenix-Davon Jefferson-Seems like a crazy pick, but Szczerbiak could be gone after next season, and they will need help behind Durant, Green, and Beasley

28. Dallas-Nikola Pekovic-Dampier is getting older and Diop is a FA

29. Detroit-D.J. White-Last year they drafted guards, this year they look to shore up the frontcourt

30. Boston-Ante Tomic-Looking down the road and at the salary cap with a pick like this

31. Detroit from Minnesota-Josh Heytvelt
32. Miami-Bryce Taylor
33. Seattle-Chris Douglas-Roberts
34. Portland from Memphis-Rodrigue Beaubois
35. Portland from New York-Semih Erden
36. LA Clippers-Kyle Weaver
37. LA Lakers from Charlotte-Goran Dragic
38. Utah from Philadelphia-Shan Foster
39. Sacramento-Joey Dorsey
40. Chicago-Bill Walker
41. Milwaukee-Nathan Jawai
42. Indiana-Malik Hairston
43. New Orleans from Houston-Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
44. Utah-Taj Gibson
45. Atlanta-Geary Claxton
46. New Jersey-Marcelus Kemp
47. Phoenix from Cleveland-Longar Longar
48. San Antonio from Toronto-DeMarcus Nelson
49. Washington-Richard Roby
50. Golden State-Sean Singletary
51. Miami from Orlando-Darnell Jackson
52. Seattle from Portland-Predrag Samardziski
53. Seattle from Denver-Deonta Vaughn
54. Seattle from New Orleans-Omer Asik
55. San Antonio-Maarty Leunen
56. LA Lakers-Aleks Maric
57. Portland from Phoenix-Gary Forbes
58. Dallas-Alonzo Gee
59. Detroit-Robert Vaden
60. Boston-Chris Lofton
Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
monthh
Local High School Star

Big Three, I meant to write back, but I haven't had time to really respond to any issues I had with your last post.

Livingston has never shown anything more than potential. With the type of injury he had, I think Bayless would be the perfect option. Waiting for Livingston to become your starting PG at this point is like waiting for Shawn Kemp to become your starting PF.

I think Koufus would be a good pick because Okafor is their low post guy, and Koufus is there space creater. I was thinking it would be like Boozer/Okur. I think Koufus has fallen a bit though, and I don't know if it would be worth him leaving anymore.

As I said with the Bulls pick, it isn't a need pick past the fact that they need help scoring. I think he is a natural scorer which is what they need. With the new McGrady rumors, who know what will be left with this team.

I agree about Lopez with Philly. Arthur would have been a better fit.

I appreciate your input. I agree with most of what you said.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
drsamuel
Can barely lace up my sneakers

drsamuel has an OK reputation so far

i would be very happy to get thabeet in denver at that pick-

i dont think utah would get the chance at hibbert, and if they do i dont think they take him- fesenko still gives them "potential" at center

i think your predictions look very good and well thought out

i understand your trouble w new york maybe- guessing what they might do- i hope they go w one of those off the wall picks but you gave them the right choice-
drsamuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:44 PM   #7
monthh
Local High School Star

I did this while waiting for the Super Bowl to start. I used realgm's mock draft simulator to get the top 3.

1. Seattle-Derrick Rose-With Luke Ridnour and Earl Watson involved in trade rumors, and Delonte West a FA this year, the Sonics decide to fill their biggest hole. With Durant, Green, Wilcox, Wilkins, and Collison signed past this season, bringing in another forward isn’t their biggest need, even if he could be a star.

2. Milwaukee-Michael Beasley-Getting lucky in the lottery allows the Bucks to add a go-to scorer to help take some pressure off Michael Redd. With Yi and Charlie Villanueva, Beasley allows the Bucks to have a good trio of forwards to go with solid PG and C crew.

3. Minnesota-DeAndre Jordan-With so many young players already in place, the Wolves are in a tough position, but with Al Jefferson putting most of his minutes in at center, they have the chance to add an athletic 7-footer that will not only give them some needed size, but will fit in with a young, athletic team. Losing out on Rose and Beasley hurts, but with young guys already demanding trades because of minutes, adding a piece that won’t have to take many minutes away from their other young guys is a blessing in disguise.

4. Miami-Jerryd Bayless-This is already a hard pick to swallow with three players that would be perfect for them already gone, but with the two next best players in the draft playing the same position as their best player and their first round pick from last year, they have to take Bayless to allow D-Wade to be the full time SG. With Daequan Cook possibly taking over at SF if Ricky Davis leaves this offseason, the Heat have a good, young three guard lineup developing.

5. Memphis-O.J. Mayo-This is a bit of a surprise pick with Eric Gordon still on the board, but the Grizzlies may not want a team with a starting backcourt that averages 6-2. Mayo isn’t much bigger, but he still gives them a potential #1 scorer. Now with a stacked backcourt of young players, this team will turn their attention to the frontcourt.

6. New York-Eric Gordon-The Knicks get extremely lucky as the guy they may have taken with the #1 pick is still left on the board for them at #6. Gordon may not seem like a good pick with so many guards that only look to score already on this team, but Gordon gives them a player that may be good enough to build the future around, something they have not been able to add in the past with solid, but not spectacular draft picks like David Lee, Nate Robinson, and Renaldo Balkman.

7. L.A. Clippers-Nicolas Batum-With Chris Kaman looking like a beast this season at only 25, and Elton Brand, Corey Maggette and Al Thorton in place at forward, this team has a pretty young and talented frontcourt. They need to replace their aging backcourt, but with Bayless, Gordon, and Mayo off the board, they take a young swingman who could become a complete bust like Yaroslav Korolev, or become a 6-8 SG that would put them over the top as one of the better young teams in the NBA.

8. Charlotte-Roy Hibbert-On paper this team should be as good as New Orleans, but with wasted lottery picks and no direction in the players they acquire this team is bad on offense and with rebounding and is average on defense. MJ uses this pick to give this team a direction and will help Emeka Okafor inside on defense and help Raymond Felton make this a more efficient offensive team.

9. Philadelphia-Donte Greene-This team has done better than expected with lesser players, but at some point that will catch up with them. Greene gives them the type of forward that will be able to anything they need him to do no matter what direction this team takes as they try to build a playoff caliber team in the future.

10. Chicago-Danilo Gallinari-Unlike Philadelphia before them, this is the team that has done the least with the most. With two top 10 picks from the Knicks the past two seasons, this team has not been able to turn a great group of talent into anything other than what looks like another Knicks type of situation. With the success of Andres Nocioni and Thabo Sefolosha, this team decides against taking another athletic big man like Darrell Arthur or Brook Lopez, and instead goes for a European that they hope will be able to take over on the wing if they do decide to move Gordon or Deng.

11. Indiana-D.J. Augustin-With this team being able to take underdogs like Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, Kareem Rush, and Jeff Foster who have been doubted at some point in their careers and turned it into a surprising amount of wins, they get another underdog who is too short to be good in the NBA. Besides this perceived chemistry bonus, on the court Augustine will give them more backcourt scoring off the bench and perhaps replace Tinsley if they decide to move him.

12. Sacramento-Darrell Arthur-Like Indiana, this team has been one of the biggest surprises this season being led by John Salmons, Brad Miller, and Beno Udrih with Kevin Martin, Ron Artest, and Mike Bibby missing a lot of time. This team still doesn’t have much up front even with Miller and rookie Spencer Hawes. Arthur gives them a young, athletic PF who could be a starter for years.

13. Houston-Chase Budinger-This team needs someone who can get to the basket and find ways to score off the bench and when T-Mac is hurt, and Budinger is that type of scorer. The bonus is that he is not undersized like Head and James when they play off the ball.

14. Portland-Brook Lopez-This team is winning with team defense, and that will only be more evident with Greg Oden in the middle next season. Lopez is really a pick to back up Oden and LaMarcus Aldrich which they already have in Channing Frye, but the big difference is that Lopez will be a much needed scoring punch off the bench. Many will feel like Lopez is too talented to be a backup, but this team will not take it to the next level until they have guys they can rely on to score off the bench when the team’s shots aren’t falling.

15. New Jersey-Darren Collison-With the potential trade of Jason Kidd and Marcus Williams not looking like the long-term answer they thought he would be, the Nets grab the best available point left and hope he can lead them back to where their current Pac-10 PG did. The play of Josh Boone and Sean Williams makes it a little easier to pass on a big man.

16. Phoenix from Atlanta-Raymar Morgan-This team is going for broke this season, and if they don’t win the championship, the Shawn Marion trade rumors from the last few seasons may finally come true. Morgan is an athletic player who would not be a bad replacement in a couple years.

17. Washington-Ty Lawson-This team is solid across the board, but are one of the worst teams in the NBA in assists. Lawson will allow Gilbert Arenas to play off the ball more and that should lead to a more balanced offensive attack which could take this team to the elite level. With Antawn Jamison becoming a FA this year it is tempting to grab a forward, but the upside of having both Lawson and Jamison is too much to risk on a lesser prospect.

18. Toronto-Serge Ibaka-This team has decided taking international players is the way to go, and Ibaka should help make this a little more athletic frontcourt in the future; which has worked this season with Chris Bosh, Andrea Bargnani, Jamario Moon, and Kris Humphries.

19. Cleveland-Kyle Weaver-Until this team adds a PG that can lead the offense, this team will not become a serious contender with LeBron With no PG worth this pick, Weaver is the next best thing as a combo-guard. Besides assists, their biggest gap seems to be scoring, so adding a great second option at SG seems like a good place to start and Weaver seems like he has the most potential to be that considering this year’s lack of great swingman prospects.

20. Golden State-A.J. Ogilvy-This team scores and gives up the most points in the NBA, and they seem like they would be okay to fix that problem by adding more scoring. Ogilvy would be a lottery pick if he was more athletic and an inch taller, but he still should be able to be an effective scorer off the bench. They think about taking JaVale McGee, but he reminds them too much of Patrick O’Bryant who appears to be a bust.

21. Denver-Brandon Rush-J.R. Smith and Anthony Carter could be gone this offseason as FA so it is important for the Nuggets to add a guard that can step in and play right away. Even if Smith and Carter stay, Rush would give them a defensive stopper on the wing.

22. Orlando-Tyler Hansbrough-Orlando needs help at the point, but with no PG they love at this spot, Hansbrough gives them a better backup big man option than Brian Cook, Adonal Foyle, or Pat Garrity.

23. L.A. Lakers-JaVale McGee-The emergence of Andrew Bynum and the pickups of Derek Fisher and Pau Gasol fill all the needs and then some for the Lakers. Despite Andrew Bynum’s age, however, a backup center with potential like McGee can’t help but hurt even if he stashed in the D-League for a couple years.

24. San Antonio-Shan Foster-For years this team has been just getting older and older on the wing, and it may be catching up with them this season. Foster may not be anything more than a backup, but he has good height, a good outside shot, and is a good defender. He must add some muscle and work on his handle, but since he probably won’t get many minutes his first year anyway, he can easily work on those things.

25. Utah-Hasheem Thabeet-This team has picked up steals with Ronnie Brewer and Paul Millsap, and you would expect Morris Almond will be helping out soon enough as well. With that core of young role players, the Jazz might look to go big in this draft and Thabeet will fill a need as this team doesn’t block many shots.

26. Dallas-D.J. White-This team has become much more balanced over the past couple years and picking up a solid all-around player like White will only help this team continue to be one of the elite in the NBA.

27. New Orleans-DeVon Hardin-After drafing Julian Wright in the lottery to be the first forward off the bench in the future, this year they draft Hardin to be the first big man off the bench. If Hardin and Wright improve like they should over the next couple of years they will certainly make this a much deeper team as better options than Rasual Butler, Ryan Bowen, Melvin Ely, and Hilton Armstrong.

28. Seattle from Phoenix-Joe Alexander-After getting their future at the point with the #1 pick, the Sonics go back to the frontcourt by picking up a solid athlete who can back up a couple different positions.

29. Detroit-Jason Thompson-This teams continues to churn out great years, and with a solid young core of future role players like Jason Maxiell, Jarvis Hayes, Rodney Stuckey, Arron Afflalo, and Amir Johnson the future looks bright. Without a future potential starter available at this position the Pistons look to grab another athlete who in a couple years will be giving them solid minutes off the bench.

30. Boston-Nikola Pekovic-The Celtics picking a C or PG to back up their two weakest starters will be a theme is all mock drafts, and I am no different. This is a great team passing team, but they still need someone who can handle and distribute the ball better off the bench. With that said, the best PG prospect available, Jamont Gordon, is a shoot first kind of PG, so they grab Pekovic who is actually a bit of a steal at this point because of his potential.

Looking back on this, the only player I really should have found a spot for is Gordon. I don't care for him all that much, but this draft has very little bepth at the PG spot. Davon Jefferson and Bill Walker are a couple of underclassmen who I looked at, but couldn't find a spot for, and Ante Tomic, Semih Erden, and Nathan Jawai are some international guys that I thought I might have going, but didn't find the right fit.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:29 AM   #8
sulsuvtut27
Brook Lopez=beast!!!!!

sulsuvtut27 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Brook Lopez? No thanks

Ohh your east coast ignorance, if you have decided to watch a game with Brook Lopez he is a monster. 31 and 13 vs Washington, 23 2 half points vs KAL averaging 22 points per game in that last like 6 games.
sulsuvtut27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:58 AM   #9
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If Darrell Arthur is on the board when Philly picks you better believe he gets picked over a slow footed 7 footer in Lopez.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:02 AM   #10
MarloStanfield
My Name Is My Name

MarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMarloStanfield is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Oh and Thabeet at 24 in the first draft and 25 in the second one...are you serious? This dude has tremendous upside and literally could be a top 5 pick if he continues to improve at the rate he has over the course of the season. If he stays in school for another year which he should he could potentially be top 3.

Brook Lopez or Roy Hibbert will not be drafted before Hasheem Thabeet.
MarloStanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
monthh
Local High School Star

Thabeet is having a very good season. He is moving up, and if I did a new mock draft, I would have him higher. I'm not sure he is above Lopez or Hibbert at this point, but he will be right there with them and Kofus if all of those guys enter the draft. I can see them all going between 8 and 16.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #12
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

The Big Three has decent reputation

Yeah, I'm starting to like Thabeet as well. And he's more athletic than Hibbert, which will help him more at the next level. But I still think he needs some more development. 24 points, career high?? That's what he got yesterday. I'm not ready to take a big risk on him yet.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:32 AM   #13
AtTheDriveIn
04'

AtTheDriveIn has an OK reputation so far

A few of these picks actually surprised me and actually look really good from an observers point of view. First, I want to say that I think you have a lot of players that are going way too early, which makes the better players at the back end of the draft all the more impressive. Anyway, I just want to comment on a few of the picks, and ask a few questions if you don't mind.

Quote:
7. L.A. Clippers-Nicolas Batum-With Chris Kaman looking like a beast this season at only 25, and Elton Brand, Corey Maggette and Al Thorton in place at forward, this team has a pretty young and talented frontcourt. They need to replace their aging backcourt, but with Bayless, Gordon, and Mayo off the board, they take a young swingman who could become a complete bust like Yaroslav Korolev, or become a 6-8 SG that would put them over the top as one of the better young teams in the NBA.

Do you really think that they're going to go for another, pretty much exactly replica of Korolev. He has the outside shooting, the athleticism, the above-average defense and the very good offensive game, but none of this worked for Korolev. What makes Batum so different? I don't think that the Clippers are ready to go through another 'will he or wont he work out' fiasco. There's a lot of potential in Batum, but I think he's just another Korolev.

Quote:
13. Houston-Chase Budinger-This team needs someone who can get to the basket and find ways to score off the bench and when T-Mac is hurt, and Budinger is that type of scorer. The bonus is that he is not undersized like Head and James when they play off the ball.

Like that pick a lot for potential reason.

It's funny how a few months ago Budinger was being heralded as an NBA first. A white player who was going to play a black game and actually succeed at it. People were saying he'd go top 5, top 3 even and then this season begins and he's not playing anything like anyone expected him to.

I have to admit, I have been dissapointed by Budinger. I thought he was going to easily be one of the best players in the country and take Arizona places but after watching him player upwards of 10 times this season, he just hasn't impressed me. With saying that though, I think his game is NBA-ready and I think going somewhere where he can be a back-up to already one of the superior NBA players would be great for him, especially if after a while he could win over the starting role.

Quote:
18. Toronto-Serge Ibaka-This team has decided taking international players is the way to go, and Ibaka should help make this a little more athletic frontcourt in the future; which has worked this season with Chris Bosh, Andrea Bargnani, Jamario Moon, and Kris Humphries.

I've been intrigued by this guy. I saw a few highlight videos of him (obviously never a good judge of a player) but damn can he dominated games. I'd like to learn a lot more about him and his games, so if anyone has any full game videos, or even more highlights of him, I'd love to check them out.

Quote:
22. Orlando-Tyler Hansbrough-Orlando needs help at the point, but with no PG they love at this spot, Hansbrough gives them a better backup big man option than Brian Cook, Adonal Foyle, or Pat Garrity.

I pray to god that we don't (We, as in the Magic) don't pick up Hansborough. I hate him with a passion. Yeah, we need a lot of help in the front-court and yeah he could help us out, but doesn't something about him just scream out BUST! I'm not convinced of anything by him. He could be a good player, but then again he could play 1 year and off he'll go to Europe and it'll be a wasted pick considering there are better options than him at the #22 pick (or there hopefully will be).

Quote:
25. Utah-Hasheem Thabeet-This team has picked up steals with Ronnie Brewer and Paul Millsap, and you would expect Morris Almond will be helping out soon enough as well. With that core of young role players, the Jazz might look to go big in this draft and Thabeet will fill a need as this team doesn’t block many shots.

Steal of the draft.

This has 'diamond in the rough' written all over it. Thabeet goes to a team where he can concentrate on playing his game and his game only without having to carry a team and whilst learning off some of the better offensive players in the game about all kinds of different aspects of offense. I like this pick a lot, but I'd be surprised if no one else picks Thabeet earlier, simply on the Height/Lenght/Potential thing.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
monthh
Local High School Star

DriveIn, I don't have much time, but I will try to address some of your questions and stuff.

I think Batum is different from Korolev in that I don't think Korolev ever had his heart in being an NBA player. I think there were a lot of agents and other people that could gain a lot from him, but he is just a European type of player, and wants to be a European player. The same thing happened with Fran Vazquez. Batum is an NBA type of player, and is really like the OJ Mayo or something of France. He has the hype as the next great French player. He wants to come over and play against the best in the world. The biggest thing for him to put all of his talents together and turn himself into a complete player. He has a ton of talent and natural abilities, and can do very well in certain aspects of the game, as you pointed out, the biggest thing for him is to fill in the gaps and get ready for 30 minutes a game against physical players. There will be a big adjustment for him, but he has the tools to be a special player. Korolev is the typical European player, and if he had his heart in it, may have been able to a lesser Peja or Turkolglu, but he just wants to be in Europe I think.

Budinger is about the same player he was last year. He has improved his shooting a bit, and that is why his scoring is up some. I don't know the numbers, but he has to be among the leading scorers in the Pac-10 at 17 a game. The thing that has killed him is having Bayless come in. I think most people expected Bayless to score about half what he has, and have about double the assists. Maybe not that big of a difference, but I certainly expected closer to 12 and 6 than 20 and 4 for Bayless. Budinger still has athletic ability, an improving shot, and can defend. He is such an explosive scorer though. You take away the 4 and 6 point games, you see a lot of 20+ games for him. He is probably averaging 22 a game if he doesn't have such severe off games. That is exactly what a team like Houston needs because outside of Wells and sometimes Head, Houston has no one that can explode with McGrady out of the lineup. Budinger actually might be a real steal becuase if he continues to improve on his shooting he won't have so many off games and will be much more consistant. Of course he also needs to add some weight, but he should be okay.

I will finish with the other questions later today probably.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #15
mrhoopfan
Local High School Star

mrhoopfan has decent reputation

Thabeet= Dalembert
Hibbert= Aaron Gray?

Knowing the Suns, I wouldn't be surprised if they take the Arizona Wildcat Budinger if he is available
mrhoopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: